Interview with Jackson, Mississippi Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
RE: Interview with Jackson, Mississippi Atheist
(12-06-2013 04:24 PM)cjs Wrote:  Yes, Mark, mec and others are correct in that the talk was confined to educating church members about us. In Jackson, MS, this is a huge first step.

I actually feel for many places in this country it's a great first step.

Wasn't there a poll done a few years back that saying that atheists were the least trusted people. Or sormthing like that...I don't recall.

Many Christians seem to think that we hate god or became angry or worship the devil. This is an important first step to change their preconceived notions in regard to us -- just as regular people.

I have so much respect for Mark -- I hesitate to completely disagree with anything he says. Smile

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2013, 05:09 PM
MSBB I respect Mark also, but just want people to understand how atheists are hated down here. We would never get elected to office. We could not serve in juries until maybe 30 years ago. And here in Ms you can still legally get fired for being gay. I know of lot of fine people, and I don't mean to say that everyone here is bigoted, but like you said, at least this guy shows that we don't worship the devil or eat babies.

Mec and I are friends in real life, and we stay closeted because there could be social and/or job consequences. 60 years ago people here burned crosses in people's yards if they were too friendly to black people, and heaven forbid a white person should fall in love with a black person! Now there are two interracial marriages on my street alone, and the kids are fine. It's now no big deal. I hope that being an atheist will be no big deal here at some point, but may be a few decades. For now though, only people close to me know, and that's a risk in itself. Baby steps...

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
12-06-2013, 05:43 PM
(12-06-2013 05:09 PM)cjs Wrote:  MSBB I respect Mark also, but just want people to understand how atheists are hated down here. We would never get elected to office. We could not serve in juries until maybe 30 years ago. And here in Ms you can still legally get fired for being gay. I know of lot of fine people, and I don't mean to say that everyone here is bigoted, but like you said, at least this guy shows that we don't worship the devil or eat babies.

Mec and I are friends in real life, and we stay closeted because there could be social and/or job consequences. 60 years ago people here burned crosses in people's yards if they were too friendly to black people, and heaven forbid a white person should fall in love with a black person! Now there are two interracial marriages on my street alone, and the kids are fine. It's now no big deal. I hope that being an atheist will be no big deal here at some point, but may be a few decades. For now though, only people close to me know, and that's a risk in itself. Baby steps...

It's hard in a lot of places..

Hug

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
(12-06-2013 05:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 05:09 PM)cjs Wrote:  MSBB I respect Mark also, but just want people to understand how atheists are hated down here. We would never get elected to office. We could not serve in juries until maybe 30 years ago. And here in Ms you can still legally get fired for being gay. I know of lot of fine people, and I don't mean to say that everyone here is bigoted, but like you said, at least this guy shows that we don't worship the devil or eat babies.

It's hard in a lot of places..

Hug

Yeah some of us are lucky and live in areas where it's not a big deal. I've been out as not believing in god for about as long as I left the faith (since I was like 13 or so)
and only had a handful of times that anyone even said anything about it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
12-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks MSBB and Rev.

12-06-2013, 07:12 PM
(12-06-2013 02:31 PM)mec Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 10:54 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  He's very articulate and likeable, but he fails to discuss a very important point.

He doesn't mention the damage that Christianity does to individuals, personal relationships and international relations.

He fails to mention misogyny, homophobia, suppression of science and rational thought, or the time wasting.

He fails to mention sins committed by churches, both past and present. He doesn't talk about how people are being fleeced of their money.

He doesn't touch on the topic of the brainwashing of children, nor the teaching of hell to innocent easily scared children.

He avoids mentioning the fact that millions of people suffer unnecessary guilt about their sexuality because of Christianity.

Nice bloke, but he needs to grow some balls.

I understand what your saying, but it's a good first step in dialog with a church member.

Yes...good point.

It's a fine line to walk.

If you come out swinging, you may get ignored.

Just maybe...I've been watching too much of the Hitch (LOL)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
12-06-2013, 07:17 PM
(12-06-2013 06:10 PM)cjs Wrote:  Thanks MSBB and Rev.

Well just remember we are all pulling for ya. Smile

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-06-2013, 07:00 AM
(07-06-2013 07:57 PM)cjs Wrote:  Me too. I'm working my way slowly out of the closet with family and friends. I can't much on the job because people there are majority Christian and pray at some work functions. A few coworkers know how I feel, but the subject isn't something I discuss much one way or the other at work because it's, well, work. I like the TTA page on FB.

I'm lucky in that my mother is also an atheist, and my friends seem to be ok with me even if they are theists. I even date a Christian, who seemingly has no issue with sinning with me! ;-)

How long has your Mom been an atheist? Was it a long transition for her?
15-06-2013, 07:35 AM
She was raised Methodist but as an adult only sporadically attended church. Most of her adult life she considered herself spiritual but not religious (she's 69 years old). Morally she has always been better than many religious people-loyal, non-judgmental, loving, knows we all have our own paths to go down, which is why she can handle my Pentecostal brother and me being so different.

As mec knows and as I've posted on here a bit about, my brother survived cancer and spent the last year and a half fighting it. Now his wife has cancer. I had previously discussed my atheism with her, and she has always been keenly aware of the randomness of many things in life. I think my SIL got diagnosed, she decided that a good god would not allow that. Also, we had just heard about these three young ladies having been locked up in Ohio for ten years, and she said who would allow that? Surely they prayed. Surely my bro and SIL have been the most devout, faithful Christians we know.

Anyhow, she realized there appears to be no one at the helm in the whole universe deal. It made sense to her. So she's always been agnostic, but lately she calls herself an atheist.

[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
15-06-2013, 08:40 AM
(15-06-2013 07:35 AM)cjs Wrote:  She was raised Methodist but as an adult only sporadically attended church. Most of her adult life she considered herself spiritual but not religious (she's 69 years old). Morally she has always been better than many religious people-loyal, non-judgmental, loving, knows we all have our own paths to go down, which is why she can handle my Pentecostal brother and me being so different.

As mec knows and as I've posted on here a bit about, my brother survived cancer and spent the last year and a half fighting it. Now his wife has cancer. I had previously discussed my atheism with her, and she has always been keenly aware of the randomness of many things in life. I think my SIL got diagnosed, she decided that a good god would not allow that. Also, we had just heard about these three young ladies having been locked up in Ohio for ten years, and she said who would allow that? Surely they prayed. Surely my bro and SIL have been the most devout, faithful Christians we know.

Anyhow, she realized there appears to be no one at the helm in the whole universe deal. It made sense to her. So she's always been agnostic, but lately she calls herself an atheist.

Thanks for sharing that...