Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 08:47 PM by DLJ.)
Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread
So it seems that amongst our most popular and flame war prone thread there is the inevitable thread about gun control in the USA. Since it seems we are constantly talking passed each other on this issue, I am proposing a simple step toward a better understanding of the issue: an interview with a person that doesn't support tight gun control and/or someone who would qualify himself as one of those famous ''gun nuts''. The interview would be relatively simple, after a few background question on weapon possession, we would move toward the motives for low restriction ownership of firearms and how these have any impact on how those firearms are perceived.

My hypothesis is that gun control debates have actually very little to do with politics as in costs, laws, statistics of firarms related death, but are primarly driven by conflicting value systems and perception of humankind in general. By this interview, I hope disclose and explore the value systems and perception of humankind of people who don't share at all my point of view on firearms and maybe, thanks to that, understand them better.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am personnaly in favor for rather strong gun control. I am opposed to conceal and carry firearms (except by military or police personnel off duty); I believe there should be several level for gun permits each with different requirements and cost; I believe firearms should be registered, I believe firearms purchase would require a background check; I believe gun permits would require classes on firearm operation and safety to be acquired and that those classes have to refreshed more or less regularly (I would say every five years or so); I believe limits should be imposed on the quantity of ammunition a person can purchase for his or her firearms; I believe that firearms could be seized temporarelly by law enforcement if a person is accused of a violent crime or could commit suicide (it would require to be shown before a judge of course); I believe firearms should be required to be kept under lock and with ammunition stored seperately in any household with young children.

Is there any volunteer?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
29-08-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: Interview with a ''gun nut''?
Popcorn

Good luck! Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
29-08-2017, 05:14 PM
None of the topic is hard. There are simply the sane, and those who want a free for all.

The problem for the sane isn't that guns exist. I really hate that bullshit slur about SAFETY advocates. The issue is the amount made and ease of access.

If no rules worked and make more worked we would not see an average of 36,000 firearm deaths per year.

There is no party loyalty oath to own and possess a firearm so unless the right wants to make that the case then really all they are arguing is they want to control the narrative rather than deal with reality.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2017, 05:19 PM
(29-08-2017 05:14 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  None of the topic is hard. There are simply the sane, and those who want a free for all.

The problem for the sane isn't that guns exist. I really hate that bullshit slur about SAFETY advocates. The issue is the amount made and ease of access.

If no rules worked and make more worked we would not see an average of 36,000 firearm deaths per year.

There is no party loyalty oath to own and possess a firearm so unless the right wants to make that the case then really all they are arguing is they want to control the narrative rather than deal with reality.

Your opinion has been duly noted (and was already infamously well known). With that in mind I want to stress that this ISN'T a debate, its an interview. At worst, its going to be a very mild roasting, but I don't want to turn this in a full blown roast.

29-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Gun nut - definition: a delusional person who believes they can legislate a nicer existence by taking guns away from the only people who will surrender them when ordered to do so - the law abiding citizen who was never the problem in the first place.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-08-2017, 05:23 PM
(29-08-2017 05:19 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(29-08-2017 05:14 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  None of the topic is hard. There are simply the sane, and those who want a free for all.

Your opinion has been duly noted (and was already infamously well known). With that in mind I want to stress that this ISN'T a debate, its an interview. At worst, its going to be a very mild roasting, but I don't want to turn this in a full blown roast.

Fine, but in 24 hours on average some 90 people nationwide wont be around to debate.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
29-08-2017, 05:27 PM
(29-08-2017 05:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Gun nut - definition: a delusional person who believes they can legislate a nicer existence by taking guns away from the only people who will surrender them when ordered to do so - the law abiding citizen who was never the problem in the first place.

I was actually referring to the more common definition for that slang as a person with immense enthousiasm about firearm and who defend their easy access within the US. I don't mean it as a pejorative neither do I consider a very good term to employ to describe someone(hence my use of quotation marks), but it's rather catchy.

Do you volunteer? From what I know of your position on firearms, you seem to fit the bill.

29-08-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm nobody's mother.

Got that???

I don't speak for anyone, except myself. I don't know how all other gun owners feel, nor do I expect you'll be able to find someone else that represents all those folks that want " gun control" ( which actually isn't gun control, but is people control).

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-08-2017, 05:37 PM
(29-08-2017 05:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Gun nut - definition: a delusional person who believes they can legislate a nicer existence by taking guns away from the only people who will surrender them when ordered to do so - the law abiding citizen who was never the problem in the first place.
I'll see if I can one of my cousins to sign up here. He has 278 guns at last count and believes Obama is still trying to take them from him. Not a gun nut by your specialized definition, but he's the best example of the generally understood definition.
29-08-2017, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 05:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2017 04:55 PM)epronovost Wrote:  In the interest of full disclosure, I am personnaly in favor for rather strong gun control. I am opposed to conceal and carry firearms (except by military or police personnel off duty); I believe there should be several level for gun permits each with different requirements and cost; I believe firearms should be registered, I believe firearms purchase would require a background check; I believe gun permits would require classes on firearm operation and safety to be acquired and that those classes have to refreshed more or less regularly (I would say every five years or so); I believe limits should be imposed on the quantity of ammunition a person can purchase for his or her firearms; I believe that firearms could be seized temporarelly by law enforcement if a person is accused of a violent crime or could commit suicide (it would require to be shown before a judge of course); I believe firearms should be required to be kept under lock and with ammunition stored seperately in any household with young children.

The biggest gun nut I know is in favor of all of those things. He owns and enjoys fully automatic weapons and machine guns. And he does it with the full cognizance and permission of both the People's Republic of Maryland and the US Federal Government. He's told me if you're not willing to submit to and pass a basic criminal background check there's something shifty about you. And if you want to own full-autos he's all for it, as long as you're willing to submit to a thorough security clearance level background check. He makes money off his gunnuttery. I don't mind him owning full-autos or an entire arsenal for that matter. He's willing to demonstrate his responsibility on demand.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post