Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 05:46 PM
RE: Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread
(30-08-2017 03:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 02:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Sadly, it seems like every day some asshole with a gun shoots himself or someone else because what you correctly identify as basic safety rules are simply too complex for them to comprehend.

This was yesterday's Exhibit A.

http://6abc.com/woman-shot-and-wounded-i...r/2353994/

The weapon did not "fire" dickhead. You pulled the fucking trigger.

Accidental discharges don't exist.

Negligent discharges abound.

Let's see if we can cure stupid. The next ten morons who claim " the gun just went off" will spend the next year storing guns.

Rectally.

Sounds like the dude shot his wife on purpose. Who cleans a loaded weapon around midnight?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2017, 05:47 PM
(30-08-2017 05:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Sounds like the dude shot his wife on purpose. Who cleans a loaded weapon around midnight?

Drunk dude who wants to kill his wife and make it look like an accident, obviously. Smile

#sigh
30-08-2017, 06:00 PM
(30-08-2017 05:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 05:46 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Sounds like the dude shot his wife on purpose. Who cleans a loaded weapon around midnight?

Drunk dude who wants to kill his wife and make it look like an accident, obviously. Smile

Heard he accidentally shot his mother-in-law too.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
30-08-2017, 06:05 PM
(30-08-2017 06:00 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(30-08-2017 05:47 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Drunk dude who wants to kill his wife and make it look like an accident, obviously. Smile

Heard he accidentally shot his mother-in-law too.

This is why I don't think it's unreasonable that you at least be willing to demonstrate some level of competence in the proper use of the tool prior to purchase.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-09-2017, 01:02 AM
(31-08-2017 04:55 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I understand the objections to guns, but to me it feels like those people are almost naive to the true threats that surround us. On average, an individual where I live is not likely to encounter a violent act, but it does happen. My belief is, why would you not prepare yourself for that possibility? Not that a gun is the only preparation option available, but I consider it to be the best. To answer your question directly, I don't feel like brave is a consideration. You aren't more or less brave because you choose to carry or not. To me, it's a matter of understanding just how violent people can be and putting yourself in the best position possible to avoid an event that takes something from you that you can never get back.
I tend to view the possibility of violence as being similar to the risk from a traffic accident. The fact that accidents happen doesn't stop me from using the road, nor does it make me want to own an armoured car even if that would be safer. Sure, I might be able to reduce the risk by carrying a weapon, I might also increase my risk of shooting someone accidentally (not saying that *you* will, reeveseb, but people have varying levels of competence). I think it's not a naive decision.

Also I think I'd feel far more unsafe in a society knowing that everyone was armed, than in a society where carrying a weapon was uncommon. If not only you but most people are armed then in the event of an incident (say at a shopping mall) there's that much more likelihood of someone losing their head and starting to take random pot-shots.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Do you think that a form of proximity blindness and xenophobia (in the wide sense of the term) could lead communities to overestimate violence outside the domestic sphere and underestimate violence within the domestic sphere?

Unquote

Really???

How about skipping the obtuse politico speak and ask real questions that don't take 20 minutes to decipher??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
(02-09-2017 05:20 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Quote

Do you think that a form of proximity blindness and xenophobia (in the wide sense of the term) could lead communities to overestimate violence outside the domestic sphere and underestimate violence within the domestic sphere?

Unquote

Really???

How about skipping the obtuse politico speak and ask real questions that don't take 20 minutes to decipher??

Yeah, not my best formulation. I decided to split the question in two and reformulated it.

[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
I'm just glad Reeves took the job...I would have been like "Uh, dunno" "Wow, never thought of that" "Have to say never thought of that before now" "Hmmm can I get back to you?" "What's proximity blindness?"

02-09-2017, 07:28 PM
(02-09-2017 07:02 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  "What's proximity blindness?"

Proximity blindness can describe several things. It can describe the fact that people can see shit when things are too close from their eyes. In psychology and sociology, it describe the idea that when you can be very unquestionning of things you are constantly exposed to. For example, people might not question the principle of private propriety, marriage or prison because they kind of take those things for granted and permanent.

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
(02-09-2017 07:28 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Proximity blindness can describe several things. It can describe the fact that people can see shit when things are too close from their eyes. In psychology and sociology, it describe the idea that when you can be very unquestionning of things you are constantly exposed to. For example, people might not question the principle of private propriety, marriage or prison because they kind of take those things for granted and permanent.

I knew what it meant (you mean can't see shit when things are too close) it was just my self-deprecating way of saying Reeves is much more knowlegable and thoughtful than I would ever be on this topic...your questions and handling of the discussion is great IMHO.