Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2017, 07:31 AM
RE: Interview with a ''gun nut''? Commentary Thread
And the - "why don't more women and minorities have guns" is just dumb.

You might as well ask why more women and minorities aren't into ham radio, R/C airplanes or fly fishing.

Probably for the same reason you don't see men who are into quilting...

Because as a group, they're just not interested.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2017, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:06 AM by Vera.)
Ah yeah, and "they are not interested" explains everything. Facepalm

And of course wimminfolk ain't interested. They can protect themselves with them needles. And high heels Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
03-09-2017, 08:54 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:13 AM by epronovost.)
(03-09-2017 07:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Because as a group, they're just not interested.

The reason why they aren't interested is what is important. Of course they don't have guns because they aren't interested in having guns, that's tautological. Thinking a bit more profoundly and complexly about some issues wouldn't hurt from time to time.

Don't you think that its odd that guns are bought to protect women in chidren in large amount in the US, but that women don't feel safe around guns and don't want to own them?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 4 users Like epronovost's post
04-09-2017, 12:28 AM
(03-09-2017 08:54 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(03-09-2017 07:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Because as a group, they're just not interested.

The reason why they aren't interested is what is important. Of course they don't have guns because they aren't interested in having guns, that's tautological. Thinking a bit more profoundly and complexly about some issues wouldn't hurt from time to time.

Don't you think that its odd that guns are bought to protect women in chidren in large amount in the US, but that women don't feel safe around guns and don't want to own them?

Not just guns but weapons in general. I've been doing HEMA since I was about 9ish and teaching it for about a year strait now and there is a depressing lack of female members. Women by and large, in my experiences, just aren't interested in weaponry as a whole. Not just the usage but the collecting or handling of them. Even Military History doesn't seem to hold nearly as large an interest in them as the male population, not that that's surprising given how utterly male dominated the history of warfare and weaponry is.

Personally I don't think it's odd at all. You have thousands of years of ingrained social and cultural views that war, weaponry, and the protection of the familial unit from harm is the sole providence and responsibility of men. That was the view of almost the whole world up until a few decades ago and is the predominate view of most of the rest of the world even now.

Weaponry is also not considered "lady like" or "feminine" by most people including parents and that plays a major role as well even if I think such distinctions are silly as all get out.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
04-09-2017, 06:18 AM
(03-09-2017 08:02 AM)Vera Wrote:  Ah yeah, and "they are not interested" explains everything. Facepalm

And of course wimminfolk ain't interested. They can protect themselves with them needles. And high heels Drinking Beverage

No of course not... It MUST be men are repressing them!

Manly men, and their nasty boom sticks, right?

Sure, of course...

Dodgy

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-09-2017, 06:33 AM
(03-09-2017 08:54 AM)epronovost Wrote:  

People don't feel safe around anything they don't know understand.

I guess you've never been to an R/C flying field, or a ham radio swap meet. Go sometime, and I guarantee you will see a surprising lack of women and minorities.

Why?

I taught flying R/C airplanes for years, and the very few women I taught showed an extreme lack of interest in learning ( they were always the spouse of a flyer). Learning to fly an R/C is primarily about motivation - the more you want to do it, the faster you learn. In talking to the women one on one, they always indicated they were learning because they wanted to share the spouse's interest.

I can count the women that I met on one hand, that had a genuine interest in the hobby. Even those women expressed that " it's just not something that interests most women".

I don't know why it is, but I long ago simply accepted it as being so.

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post