Interview with a pastor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
RE: Interview with a pastor
Ask him how exactly is he able to discern what an unknowable, all powerful and omniscient being wants from us and how he knows this?

If he says its in the Bible then ask him why would people who can also read need him to interpret it?

"We're run by a pothead, a housewife, a guy that buys lube in 5kg containers, a cat and a Nazi. Oh and Dom.” - ‘Muffs

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
(02-05-2013 09:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ask him how exactly is he able to discern what an unknowable, all powerful and omniscient being wants from us and how he knows this?

If he says its in the Bible then ask him why would people who can also read need him to interpret it?

Great question! Ill add it to the list
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
(02-05-2013 09:58 PM)ReasonandScience Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 09:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ask him how exactly is he able to discern what an unknowable, all powerful and omniscient being wants from us and how he knows this?

Great question! Ill add it to the list

Dude, you'll either need bodyguards or a fast get-away car Laughat
You have to let us know, if you survive that is, how it goes and don't just write down what he says, tape record it but ask for permission first. Tell him you don't want to misquote him. Big Grin

"We're run by a pothead, a housewife, a guy that buys lube in 5kg containers, a cat and a Nazi. Oh and Dom.” - ‘Muffs

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-05-2013, 10:04 PM
(02-05-2013 10:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 09:58 PM)ReasonandScience Wrote:  Great question! Ill add it to the list

Dude, you'll either need bodyguards or a fast get-away car Laughat
You have to let us know, if you survive that is, how it goes and don't just write down what he says, tape record it but ask for permission first. Tell him you don't want to misquote him. Big Grin

That's my plan!

I am going to post what I have here on the forums when it is completed.
02-05-2013, 10:15 PM
How many members of the congregation are involved in either local or state politics and how much interaction does he personally have with them?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
11-05-2013, 08:12 AM
(02-05-2013 10:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  How many members of the congregation are involved in either local or state politics and how much interaction does he personally have with them?

Added! Thank you for your submission

Nobody really knows where all this shit came from. But I think I'd rather trust the dudes in lab coats who aren't demanding I get up early every Sunday to overdress and apologize for being human.
11-05-2013, 10:22 AM
The thread title keeps making me think of Anne Rice.

Ask him what religion he'd be if he had been born in the Middle East, and does he think he would have made a good Imam?

And, how does he justify belief in the Old Testament history when there isn't any physical, archeological evidence to support any single event in Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Esther, etc, etc. . In fact, the first tangible evidence of anyone in the Bible isn't found until around 1,000 BCE when a vague reference to a rogue warlord named David has been discovered. Lacking physical evidence, how does he justify that the OT is anything but pure mythology along the order of the Epic of Gilgamesh and the myths of the Greek pantheon?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
(11-05-2013 10:22 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  The thread title keeps making me think of Anne Rice.

Ask him what religion he'd be if he had been born in the Middle East, and does he think he would have made a good Imam?

And, how does he justify belief in the Old Testament history when there isn't any physical, archeological evidence to support any single event in Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Esther, etc, etc. . In fact, the first tangible evidence of anyone in the Bible isn't found until around 1,000 BCE when a vague reference to a rogue warlord named David has been discovered. Lacking physical evidence, how does he justify that the OT is anything but pure mythology along the order of the Epic of Gilgamesh and the myths of the Greek pantheon?

Awesome question. I will add it!!

Nobody really knows where all this shit came from. But I think I'd rather trust the dudes in lab coats who aren't demanding I get up early every Sunday to overdress and apologize for being human.
12-05-2013, 06:20 AM
If you're after an interview rather than a simple confrontation I suggest a few things:
1. Questions about what he believes and why he believes it - on basic issues of faith and on more hot button issues like homosexuality and abortion. On the abortion issue, make sure you are familiar with Numbers 5 - the only place the Bible talks about abortion that I'm aware of and also the place where God comes down firmly in favour of it, in fact commanding it.
2. Questions about how he feels that he and his church fit into the community as a whole. Outside the purely religious sphere, what good does he think they do?
3. Questions about the harm that churches have one around the world over time, including recent scandals - and how close they have been to his church. It sounds like looking for scandals in the evangelical movement in particular might be relevant.
4. Questions about the specific harm his beliefs might be doing to society - inaction on global warming, etc
5. Questions about the specific harm his beliefs might have on individuals, especially children - ie fear of hell, what if he's wrong, does he believe that you should go to hell, and how does he justify that, etc.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
12-05-2013, 07:14 AM
(12-05-2013 06:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  If you're after an interview rather than a simple confrontation I suggest a few things:
1. Questions about what he believes and why he believes it - on basic issues of faith and on more hot button issues like homosexuality and abortion. On the abortion issue, make sure you are familiar with Numbers 5 - the only place the Bible talks about abortion that I'm aware of and also the place where God comes down firmly in favour of it, in fact commanding it.
2. Questions about how he feels that he and his church fit into the community as a whole. Outside the purely religious sphere, what good does he think they do?
3. Questions about the harm that churches have one around the world over time, including recent scandals - and how close they have been to his church. It sounds like looking for scandals in the evangelical movement in particular might be relevant.
4. Questions about the specific harm his beliefs might be doing to society - inaction on global warming, etc
5. Questions about the specific harm his beliefs might have on individuals, especially children - ie fear of hell, what if he's wrong, does he believe that you should go to hell, and how does he justify that, etc.

Thank you for your reply... I will take all this into account when finalizing my interview.