Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 08:47 PM by DLJ.)
Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
First thing first, thank you for accepting this interview. Should any of my question be poorly framed or of a too personnal nature just tell me so and will either correct the mistake or pass to the next question. I would also reassure you on the fact that you are not here to defend position that you don't hold. With that said lets dig in.

Are you or were you a gun owner yourself?

Are a lot of your friends and relatives also gun owners?

Link to Commentary Thread

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-08-2017, 08:08 PM
RE: Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
(29-08-2017 08:03 PM)epronovost Wrote:  First thing first, thank you for accepting this interview. Should any of my question be poorly framed or of a too personnal nature just tell me so and will either correct the mistake or pass to the next question. I would also reassure you on the fact that you are not here to defend position that you don't hold. With that said lets dig in.

Are you or were you a gun owner yourself?

Are a lot of your friends and relatives also gun owners?

I am and always have been a gun owner.

Most of my friends and family are gun owner as well.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
29-08-2017, 08:15 PM
(29-08-2017 08:08 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I am and always have been a gun owner.

Most of my friends and family are gun owner as well.

By that I assume that you have always lived in a household in which there was a firearm.

Did those firearms played an important role in your family lifestyle when you were younger? For example did you used to go hunting or practiced sport shooting?

Currently do you practice with your relatives this type of activity?

29-08-2017, 08:22 PM
(29-08-2017 08:15 PM)epronovost Wrote:  By that I assume that you have always lived in a household in which there was a firearm.

Did those firearms played an important role in your family lifestyle when you were younger? For example did you used to go hunting or practiced sport shooting?

Currently do you practice with your relatives this type of activity?

You assume correctly. My father taught me how to shoot when I was young. I hunted with him as a child and graduated to hunting by myself. Mostly deer hunting. We went to the range every now and then, but most shooting was done at the deer lease. Sighting in rifles, practicing with pistols. I enjoyed the time I spent shooting guns.

Currently I do not practice much with family/friends. We do have an annual quail hunt during Thanksgiving in Texas when I visit home. All of the guys (and some brave girls) all go out quail hunting together. Picture the story where Dick Cheney went hunting with a decent sized group and shot some poor guy in the face. But we're a little more careful with our aim. Safety first!!!

29-08-2017, 08:37 PM
It sounds like those hunting trip in family were important and extremely fun. At least, that's how you make them sound.

What sort of guns do you currently own? (you did mention a hunting rifle and pistols, is it still the case?)

Did you needed a firearm license in your State? (I am not very familiar with the minutia of gun laws in the United States)

29-08-2017, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 09:09 PM by reeveseb.)
(29-08-2017 08:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  It sounds like those hunting trip in family were important and extremely fun. At least, that's how you make them sound.

What sort of guns do you currently own? (you did mention a hunting rifle and pistols, is it still the case?)

Did you needed a firearm license in your State? (I am not very familiar with the minutia of gun laws in the United States)

They were fun. It was a bonding experience for me and somewhat of a coming of age process. Gradually earning more respect and responsibility with each passing year.

I currently own two pistols, one hunting rifle, and one shotgun. Since I have my concealed carry license, I do not have to go through any background checks when I purchase a firearm, as long as my license is current. When I applied for my CCL, I had to go through 8 hours of classroom and practical application. They went over guns safety, ensured I understood by demonstrating, scenarios of lawful use, testing, and firing a pistol at a range. Then I took my certificate to the sheriff's office where they did whatever background checking they do. Two months later, I got my license. Now, the state consider me approved and checked. I still have to fill out the Firearms Transaction Form that I understand is sent to the ATF, but no waiting is required.

There is another option in NC for those who do not have a CCL. For pistols, you must have a pistol purchase permit issued by the sheriff of the county in which you reside. These are issued only a few at a time and the sheriff's office does their background check over the course of about two months. Then you take those to an FFL dealer who sells guns, fill out the federal form, and buy your weapon. For long guns and shotguns, the permit isn't required. You only have to fill out the federal form and your information is sent to the FBI for a background check. If you pass, you can buy and carry out same day. Normal checks take about five to ten minutes.

29-08-2017, 09:43 PM
What drived you to obtain a CCL and perhapse more importantly to purchase such a variety of weapon?

30-08-2017, 02:59 AM
(29-08-2017 09:43 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What drived you to obtain a CCL and perhapse more importantly to purchase such a variety of weapon?
Obtaining my CCL has allowed me to carry a weapon with me to most places. I like knowing that I have the ability and the means to protect myself, my family and other people from harm should someone decide to do something stupid.

I chose the variety of weapons for different reasons. The rifle, for hunting deer. The shotgun, mainly for home defense, ease of use and the ability to hit things without really aiming. The handguns I have for concealed carry, mobility, and honestly for fun. Pistols are a blast to shoot at the range.

30-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Do you doubt your ability to protect yourself, your family and other people from harm without your weapon?

While not related specifically to gun ownership or gun control, several States have a so called ''Stand Your Ground'' law. These laws were heavily question in the wake of vigilante violence. What's your opinion of those laws and has your State such law still in use?

30-08-2017, 10:27 AM
(30-08-2017 09:39 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you doubt your ability to protect yourself, your family and other people from harm without your weapon?
To me this is not a simple yes or no questions. I feel I have the size, intellect and training to protect my family in most situations that could possibly threaten them. In most situations, I believe myself to be a fair match, enough to make most people back away before attempting to harm my family. However, I feel that my having a gun at my disposal increases my chances of successfully protecting my family should they be threatened by an outsider who intends to do them harm.

(30-08-2017 09:39 AM)epronovost Wrote:  While not related specifically to gun ownership or gun control, several States have a so called ''Stand Your Ground'' law. These laws were heavily question in the wake of vigilante violence. What's your opinion of those laws and has your State such law still in use?

Currently in North Carolina, we have a "Stand Your Ground" law in effect, though there are efforts from some within the state to repeal it. Effectively it states that I have the right to defend myself in my home, vehicle or work place by use of force up to an including deadly without the duty to retreat from the threat. The use of force is necessary only up to the point at which the threat ceases. But with guns, that doesn't leave much room for in-between. There are other nuances that any gun owner in their respective states should be familiar with in case something like this happens to them.

For my part, I agree with the concept of "Stand Your Ground" legislation. The main reason this would come into play is that somebody is somewhere they aren't supposed to be, most likely for nefarious purposes. There was a situation not too long ago where a guy shot and killed another man through his garage door. Based on the facts as I know them to be, he should be liable for that man's death as there was no immediate threat to him or his family. However, should the man have started trying to gain access to the house unlawfully, then it's game on. I am glad that I have the ability to kill/maim somebody who is in my home or trying to harm my family without being charged with murder, or at least have a defense against any such charges. I didn't seek this person out to kill him. He chose to come after me and my family.

Additionally, I don't think I agree with your use of the term "vigilante violence" to refer to cases circling around the "Stand Your Ground" laws. I realize that there are probably some cases in which people have attempted to claim justifiable assault or homicide under the protection of these laws, but I've also read a few cases where the judges have thrown it out because the laws don't apply to that particular situation. Given the spirit of the law and how it was intended, if I were to kill a man who has broken into my house and threatened my family, would my actions be considered "vigilante violence"? I assert that they would not.

[+] 4 users Like reeveseb's post