Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2017, 11:04 AM
RE: Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
In the case of the ''Stand Your Ground'' laws, I was alluding to the infamous Zimmerman case who shot a teenager kid following a brawl linked to Zimmerman vigilante activities. I think that case remains the most famous concerning the ''Stand your Ground'' laws and mediatise a lot these laws. From my understanding, in most juridiction, if someone breaks into your house and threatened your family you can resort to violence under the umbrella of legitimate defense as its commonly defined since you cannot retreat from the threat.

Is your spouse trained in the usage of firearms and does he or she also possess a CCL?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2017, 11:11 AM
(30-08-2017 11:04 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Is your spouse trained in the usage of firearms and does he or she also possess a CCL?

My wife has the same classroom training I have, but doesn't have her CCL. She knows how to use them in case she needs to, but doesn't have much to do with them otherwise. She prefers to use her stun gun when she's out and take other precautions that reduce her chances of being attacked.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
30-08-2017, 11:35 AM
What made you choose a lethal firearm instead of a stun gun and extra precautions like your wife?

30-08-2017, 12:51 PM
(30-08-2017 11:35 AM)epronovost Wrote:  What made you choose a lethal firearm instead of a stun gun and extra precautions like your wife?

I do employ some of the same precautions. I don't use a stun gun because I feel they are not strong enough for a determined attacker, nor would I be able to effectively fend off a threat from multiple attackers at the same time. Just a preference. I'm much more familiar with guns than I am with hand to hand combat or using a stun gun. I just feel more comfortable with a loaded sidearm on my hip.

30-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Are you sometime worried that your wife is not as well protected than you in her daily routine? (by that of course I am assuming that she is not more competant than you in hand to hand combat and isn't physically more apt for self defense than you are. If I am wrong on those assumption please correct me.)

Did the subject of personnal protection and self defense was ever something you discussed with your spouse? For example do you discuss the need to carry or own weapons for personnal protection or the value of the ''Stand Your Ground'' laws?

30-08-2017, 06:32 PM
(30-08-2017 05:51 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Are you sometime worried that your wife is not as well protected than you in her daily routine? (by that of course I am assuming that she is not more competant than you in hand to hand combat and isn't physically more apt for self defense than you are. If I am wrong on those assumption please correct me.)
I do worry that she is more vulnerable. She is smaller, weaker and less able to physically defend herself than I. But I also know that life has to keep going even with the risks. The best approach in my mind is as much risk mitigation as possible within reason.

(30-08-2017 05:51 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Did the subject of personnal protection and self defense was ever something you discussed with your spouse? For example do you discuss the need to carry or own weapons for personnal protection or the value of the ''Stand Your Ground'' laws?
I think open communication about firearms is very important.
My wife and I have discussed firearms for personal protection, as well as other important methods. I took Krav Maga classes for about a year. She has been to multiple self defense classes. Both focus on disrupting an attack and removal of ones self from potentially dangerous situations and encounters. We don't discuss my desire to conceal carry regularly because my intentions and desire to do so had been previously discussed and agreed to by both of us. We have had conversations about the different stories that come across the news involving break-ins, shootings, and other news events regarding guns. We are mostly on the same page. She feels safer when we're out and I'm carrying my handgun. Frankly, so do I. We also feel safer in our home knowing that we have deadly weapons at our disposal should the unfortunate need arise (even with two children in the house).

By the way, not to trying to steer the conversation, but I hope we get to that at some point...children and guns. To me that's a very important part of this interview! But you're driving the bus, so what street do we turn on to next?

30-08-2017, 07:17 PM
(30-08-2017 06:32 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  By the way, not to trying to steer the conversation, but I hope we get to that at some point...children and guns. To me that's a very important part of this interview! But you're driving the bus, so what street do we turn on to next?

I do think it's a very important part of the interview and I intend to get there and discuss your views on gun safety around children, but I do think that starting with your spouse was a better idea. Afterall, your wife doesn't share your desire or ''need'' to carry a concealed weapon in public when she is by herself.

Have you ever tried to convince your wife to get a CCL to appease your worries? If so, how did she responded to it?

Were you ever victim of a violent crime like an assault (sexual or otherwise), an armed robbery, etc?

Do you live in an area where those types of crimes are common?

30-08-2017, 07:34 PM
(30-08-2017 07:17 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Have you ever tried to convince your wife to get a CCL to appease your worries? If so, how did she responded to it?

I have not tried to convince her to get her CCL. My worries, I believe, are mild in comparison with my concern that she is just not as comfortable/familiar with firearms as I am, therefore she feels safer using other methods of self defense. I don't fault her for her decision and I try to make sure I give her other viable options in lieu of firearms. I do actually wish she were more comfortable/familiar with them so she would feel good about carrying, but I understand. The last place a firearm should be is in the hands of someone who's nervous about it. Nervousness can lead to unintentional mistakes of the injurious or deadly kind.

(30-08-2017 07:17 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Were you ever victim of a violent crime like an assault (sexual or otherwise), an armed robbery, etc?

The closest I've ever come to a violent crime happened when I was about 16. I was at a party out in the country. It was a farmer's field in West Texas right outside of the small town where I lived. After getting off work, I joined my friends who had already been imbibing heartily. A fellow I only knew by name (and sour reputation) approached me, mistaking me for my cousin with whom he had some beef. Unexpectedly, he threw a full beer bottle at my head. I was almost knocked out, large gash in my head and was trying to fend off a follow on attack. Luckily I had friends there who were able to pull him away and subdue him.

(30-08-2017 07:17 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you live in an area where those types of crimes are common?

Where I live, like anywhere, has it's share of problems. But on the whole, I don't live in a place like Baltimore or Chicago where crime and gangs are rampant. We have some issues with unsavory characters, but I mostly feel comfortable gallivanting around town with my family and feel relatively safe about doing so.

30-08-2017, 09:51 PM
I am happy to note that the injury you have suffered when you were 16 didn't resulted in you loosing any sort of cognitive function. Tongue. On a side note and in a spirit of fairness, I have been assaulted twice in my life. The first time I was in my early 20's and got mugged at knife point in St-Petersburg and the second time I was involved in a street brawl in my home city. I, thankfully, wasn't injured in any these events.

How do you consider people who live in area similar to yours or worse in terms of criminality and who don't carry or own firearms (and don't want to)?

31-08-2017, 01:10 AM
My wife might disagree about my cognitive skills. Especially when something stupid comes out of my mouth (which according to her happens regularly).

It must have been scary being mugged. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience.

(30-08-2017 09:51 PM)epronovost Wrote:  How do you consider people who live in area similar to yours or worse in terms of criminality and who don't carry or own firearms (and don't want to)?

I don't begrudge them. In fact, I support their right to live how they choose. I disagree with their choice, and if given the opportunity, I might try to convince them to at least be open minded about carrying a gun. But ultimately, we all have the freedom to make the choices we feel are best for ourselves and our families. I recognize that my way isn't the only way. But when I'm out on the town, I feel somewhat of an obligation to use my weapon to defend others should I run across a situation where violence is being used against another individual.

It's not that I have a desire to use my weapon. I feel that in many instances, just the threat of opposing violence is enough to stop the commission of a crime. I never want to have to use my weapon against another person, but I'm of the opinion that it gives me a better chance of survival should I encounter someone intent on doing harm to me or someone else.