Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
On the case of the mugging, I would say it happenned so fast that I didn't had time to be scared until a few minutes after the event when I could fully realise how dangerous the situation could have been. The street brawl was scarier even if, by all account, it was less dangerous.

I am not surprised that you don't begrudge people who don't own or don't want to own firearms for personnal protection. I was wondering if you found them braver than you are since they are living in the same places than you are with less protection on their person or if, on the opposite, you would consider them a bit foolhardy for doing so. From what seems to transpire from our conversation so far, your decision of carrying a weapon for protection is well thought out and not at all impulsive.

As a father of two, what do you think are the precaution necessary to take when children are around firearms?

Are you or your wife concerned that one of your child could be involved in a firearm related accident?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2017, 04:55 PM
(31-08-2017 03:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I was wondering if you found them braver than you are since they are living in the same places than you are with less protection on their person or if, on the opposite, you would consider them a bit foolhardy for doing so. From what seems to transpire from our conversation so far, your decision of carrying a weapon for protection is well thought out and not at all impulsive.

I understand the objections to guns, but to me it feels like those people are almost naive to the true threats that surround us. On average, an individual where I live is not likely to encounter a violent act, but it does happen. My belief is, why would you not prepare yourself for that possibility? Not that a gun is the only preparation option available, but I consider it to be the best. To answer your question directly, I don't feel like brave is a consideration. You aren't more or less brave because you choose to carry or not. To me, it's a matter of understanding just how violent people can be and putting yourself in the best position possible to avoid an event that takes something from you that you can never get back.

(31-08-2017 03:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  As a father of two, what do you think are the precaution necessary to take when children are around firearms?

Here comes the meat! My personal belief is that the best safety precaution you can possibly take with children in the house is honesty, knowledge, openness and strict rules regarding said guns. Just like the old GI Joe cartoons, "Knowing is half the battle." My ten year old has held the guns I own. He has asked questions about them. He knows by heart the main safety rules for our guns. I have an open door policy regarding my guns (among everything else), so if he has a question, wants to see them, touch them, break them apart to see how they work, etc., I will take the time and teach him. I try to make it so that guns aren't a novelty or something mysterious that my son feels the need to explore on his own. He has shot a 22 caliber rifle and understands the dangers and purposes of guns. We don't sugar coat anything. In general, the shotgun stays loaded without a round in the chamber in my closet along the wall. Yes, my son could go get it, rack a round and fire it if he chose (and had the ability to lift it and handle it on his own). But he has no desire to do so because he's well versed in guns, has held it, and has a healthy respect for it. My handgun stays loaded with one in the chamber. I keep it out of reach of my son just as a precaution, but if he really wanted to he could get a step ladder, climb up, and get it. But again, he knows better and has no desire. Those are my choices. I know many people will disagree with what I do, but it works for us.

(31-08-2017 03:42 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Are you or your wife concerned that one of your child could be involved in a firearm related accident?

Neither of us are concerned about this. The only time guns in our home are a concern is when we have company or when his friends come over. At that point, the guns are locked away. I do not know those children like my own, and I feel it is not appropriate given the other parents are trusting us with the welfare of their child.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
01-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Considering that you favor education and early, controlled exposure to firearms to guaranty the safety of your children, are you in favor of madatory classes on gun safety and usage for all gun owner (or for owner of some specific weapons like handguns for example) to insure that all gun owners to possess a sound base of knowledge?

Should your second child display more recklessness toward weapons due to a number of factor, how would you react?

01-09-2017, 11:52 AM
(01-09-2017 11:28 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Considering that you favor education and early, controlled exposure to firearms to guaranty the safety of your children, are you in favor of madatory classes on gun safety and usage for all gun owner (or for owner of some specific weapons like handguns for example) to insure that all gun owners to possess a sound base of knowledge?
That is a very good question and one that I'm not sure I have a very solid position on either way. I'm reticent to put into place any law which would require a specific standardized test or class, especially at the federal level because each state and even some local municipalities all have different laws and requirements. Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. On the other hand, I do think it's important to make sure people are aware of their civil responsibilities and are given the appropriate training to handle a firearm. If I had to lean one way or another, I would say that a responsible gun owner shouldn't mind going through a mandatory training class as a part of the gun purchasing process. Not each time, mind you, but maybe a class every ten years as a prerequisite to purchasing a firearm. Safety class, check. Background check, check!

Bottom line, it never hurts to be more knowledgeable about any subject. The more you know about guns, the better you are able to make sound and safe decisions to minimize accidental injury or death. It kills me each time I hear a story of an accidental discharge that led to the death of a child. Most of the time it's accidentally self-inflicted by the child, or done by another child who didn't know any better. Such a preventable tragedy.

(01-09-2017 11:28 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Should your second child display more recklessness toward weapons due to a number of factor, how would you react?

Absolutely I would have a different approach. I think it's definitely something you look at on an individual basis. If my daughter grows up and has a rebellious side, gets into trouble often, or shows any signs that I think might lead her to go against my wishes regarding my guns, I would take extra precautions to ensure her safety and the safety of others. I'm under no illusions that I will be able to control either of my children fully, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make an informed decision as they both age and display their different behaviors.

01-09-2017, 03:20 PM
I do admit that bureaucracy for national programs in the US can be very heavy due to strong State governments (and the size of the country itself) and that could be an obstacle to the implementation of such politics.

So far (and tell me if I am wrong), it seems you are in favor of the usage of firearms as a self defense tool for home and personnal defense; that you think that training and education about gun safety and operation is extremely important, especially in a house with children; that the level of violence in your area, while not over the average, makes the use of firearms as self defense tool the most logical choice.

What do you think about the level of incident or extremely inprudent behavior involving firearms in the house in the US?

Do you believe a heavily armed population begets heavily armed criminals and even more heavily armed police force, thus making a society more lethal for lack of better words?

01-09-2017, 04:34 PM
(01-09-2017 03:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  So far (and tell me if I am wrong), it seems you are in favor of the usage of firearms as a self defense tool for home and personnal defense; that you think that training and education about gun safety and operation is extremely important, especially in a house with children; that the level of violence in your area, while not over the average, makes the use of firearms as self defense tool the most logical choice.
That sounds like an accurate summary so far.

(01-09-2017 03:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What do you think about the level of incident or extremely inprudent behavior involving firearms in the house in the US?
Not sure I can intelligently answer this question without info and statistics about the number of incidents involving firearms. I think on the whole, accidents and imprudent behavior of law abiding gun owners is relatively low considering the population and sheer number of guns in the US. I certainly don't feel (with limited information) that there is an epidemic.

(01-09-2017 03:20 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you believe a heavily armed population begets heavily armed criminals and even more heavily armed police force, thus making a society more lethal for lack of better words?
I think the order of events in your question is a little out of order. I think heavily armed criminals begets a more heavily armed police force. Then on the sidelines, law abiding citizens choose to arm themselves for a variety of reasons, including the desire to defend themselves against above mentioned criminals. Regarding overall lethality, I don't really see it with the majority of the population. You start getting into the gang controlled areas and other areas that are crime ridden, I don't think any additional gun laws would help at all. In fact, I think additional restrictions on law abiding citizens actually assists to increase the crime rates.

Bit of a sidebar...I think a lot of people choose to own guns because while calling the police during a break-in or assault is certainly an option, I would confidently guess that most of these events happen and are long over by the time any law enforcement can arrive to help.

02-09-2017, 11:14 AM
How do you think violent criminals, which are usually from rather poor community, obtain their weapons?

Do you think that gun sales should be more tightly controlled to know where are those weapons and in the same vein, do you support the idea of weapon registers?

02-09-2017, 12:00 PM
(02-09-2017 11:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  How do you think violent criminals, which are usually from rather poor community, obtain their weapons?
I can't say that I know how they obtain their weapons. I would assume it is similar to how they obtain drugs, money or anything else...steal it or buy it on the black market.

(02-09-2017 11:14 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you think that gun sales should be more tightly controlled to know where are those weapons and in the same vein, do you support the idea of weapon registers?
I don't think any further regulations would do anything except make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to obtain guns. I also don't think a weapon registry does anything to help curb crime or violence. Again, only those who follow the laws are going to be part of the registry or obey any new laws passed. Not sure criminals really care about signs, laws, registries, background checks, magazine sizes or anything else. Does it kill? Great. How much?

02-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Do you know what's the ''black market''? Are you familiar with how they operate and obtain their merchandises?

02-09-2017, 12:31 PM
(02-09-2017 12:09 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you know what's the ''black market''? Are you familiar with how they operate and obtain their merchandises?

Can't say I've ever participated in the black market but I know what it is. I know the items sold and traded aren't regulated in any way which makes it easy to get things you otherwise couldn't. Again, drugs, guns, sex slaves, medicinal services, pirated movies. I'm sure the goods list is extensive!!! More laws won't allow for any additional regulation of the black market and the only people affected in any way aren't the ones who're committing the majority of violent crimes.