Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2017, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 04:21 PM by epronovost.)
RE: Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
(02-09-2017 12:31 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Can't say I've ever participated in the black market but I know what it is. I know the items sold and traded aren't regulated in any way which makes it easy to get things you otherwise couldn't. Again, drugs, guns, sex slaves, medicinal services, pirated movies. I'm sure the goods list is extensive!!! More laws won't allow for any additional regulation of the black market and the only people affected in any way aren't the ones who're committing the majority of violent crimes.

I personnaly cannot claim never to have participated to the black market. I downloaded quite a bit of music in the good ol' days of Napsters and other services like that. I have done garage sales without getting a permit and bought a few piece of cloathing from a flea market that were probably not considered legitimate distributors. Everything that can be bought and sold legally and be bought and sold under the table. The more a certain good is widely available, the easier it is to acquire from the black market.

By taking a global view of the issue, it seems that the argument that firearms are beneficial to protect your family from outside threat has some value, but, on the other side of the coin, it has the opposite effect on the protection of family members from other family members. Children and especially women are notoriously negatively impacted by the presence of weapon in their homes.

Do you think that a form of proximity blindness and xenophobia (in the wide sense of the term) could lead communities to overestimate violence outside the domestic sphere and underestimate violence within the domestic sphere?

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
(02-09-2017 04:10 PM)epronovost Wrote:  The more a certain good is widely available, the easier it is to acquire from the black market.
Not sure I follow on this. If something was widely available (legally), that would preclude the need to have a black market to sell those items. I'm pretty confident that the black market exists to supply folks with items that are hard to obtain legally, or for consumers who don't want any trace of their transaction available for scrutiny.

(02-09-2017 04:10 PM)epronovost Wrote:  By taking a global view of the issue, it seems that the argument that firearms are beneficial to protect your family from outside threat has some value, but, on the other side of the coin, it has the opposite effect on the protection of family members from other family members. Children and especially women are notoriously negatively impacted by the presence of weapon in their homes.
Perhaps your last sentence is accurate for families with domestic abuse issues and/or families with little to no education/training on the appropriate use of firearms. The only increase of family of family violence by gun that really applies to your assertion would be accidental discharge. While it does happen, I'm sure it is a rarity in comparison with overall guns in the world or even reported injuries/deaths by firearms. You could essentially say the same thing about dogs, knives, baseball bats or any other self-defense implement that you can use. I don't know what the statistics are, but I would be willing to bet that domestic abuse victims are injured at higher rates by implements other than guns. Namely fists, which I would guess to be at the top of the list.

(02-09-2017 04:10 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Do you think that a form of proximity blindness and xenophobia (in the wide sense of the term) could lead communities to overestimate violence outside the domestic sphere and underestimate violence within the domestic sphere?

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I don't really understand your question. Crime statistics are obtained, kept and reported based on the actual incidents that occur. I don't know if there is a way for someone to over/underestimate violence regardless of sphere. Either there are or there are not reported incidents. If you're asking whether people in general either feel safe or not because they are xenophobic or racist, I do think there is some of that going on. But I'm not sure how that applies to guns in the context of our conversation. If I'm just completely missing something, let me know and I'll attempt to answer again.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
02-09-2017, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2017 06:44 PM by epronovost.)
I'll rephrase my last question and split it in two.

Do you think that people overestimate the criminal potential of strangers and/or underestimate their own when they evaluate risks?

Do you think people are more sensitive or conscious of predatory crimes, but less sensitive of domestic violence?

02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
(02-09-2017 06:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I'll rephrase my last question.

Do you think that people overestimate the criminal potential of strangers and/or underestimate their own when they evaluate risks?

I think people can overestimate the potential for violence in strangers based on a myriad of factors but I think that is something drawn from a natural need to survive. Based on appearance alone, I don't think it's possible to accurately judge violent potential. But in general, my sphere is immediate and clearly in front of me. So regardless of my feelings about an area or group of people, I am constantly on the watch for signs of odd behavior, and always wary of strangers.

Regarding my own potential for violence, I think I have a good handle on what I'm capable of doing. I would imagine others are as well. So I don't think people as a general rule underestimate their own potential for violence.

I feel like I'm still not answering your question as intended. Might be best to move on! I'm confusing myself at this point!!!

For predatory vs domestic, I don't really have an opinion other than to say in my case, I'm worried more about predatory except when I mouth off to my wife. Then I get scared of domestic violence!

02-09-2017, 06:56 PM
How would you describe advertisement for firearms? Is there such a thing? In my country firearms aren't bought for self defense, they are bought for hunting and are advertised as such, but apparently, in the US, most guns are bought for self defense, thus I expect them to be marketed as such, but I might be completly wrong.

02-09-2017, 07:02 PM
(02-09-2017 06:56 PM)epronovost Wrote:  How would you describe advertisement for firearms? Is there such a thing? In my country firearms aren't bought for self defense, they are bought for hunting and are advertised as such, but apparently, in the US, most guns are bought for self defense, thus I expect them to be marketed as such, but I might be completly wrong.

Frankly I see very few advertisements for guns. I might see an internet ad occasionally, or something like a big box outdoor retailer who might mention guns in passing, but on the whole, I don't see very much advertising at all for firearms of any kind. After thinking for a moment, the only television ads I see are for local gun shows, and those only happen about once every three months.

02-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Men between the age of 16 to 24 are those who are the most likely to accidently injure themselves or others with firearms. Do you think gun licence should be delayed to 21 to insure people who own them are more ''mature'', a bit like we do for alchool (as imperfect as it is)?

02-09-2017, 07:45 PM
(02-09-2017 07:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Men between the age of 16 to 24 are those who are the most likely to accidently injure themselves or others with firearms. Do you think gun licence should be delayed to 21 to insure people who own them are more ''mature'', a bit like we do for alchool (as imperfect as it is)?

No. I think as long as we establish the age of 18 for adulthood which encompasses voting, serving your country, ability to consent to sex, driving, being tried as an adult for crimes, etc., guns should be no exception. I also think the legal age for drinking at 21 is wrong and should be 18. But it's so common place now, I don't think that will ever change.

02-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Gun ownership in the US is a bit strange in terms of statistic. White men are overwhelmingly the most common gun owner and women only very rarely gunowners themselves. Why do you think gun ownership is so common amongts US men, but still very uncommon amongst women?

02-09-2017, 08:09 PM
(02-09-2017 07:49 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Gun ownership in the US is a bit strange in terms of statistic. White men are overwhelmingly the most common gun owner and women only very rarely gunowners themselves. Why do you think gun ownership is so common amongts US men, but still very uncommon amongst women?

You're just trying to get me in trouble aren't you? Okay, I promised myself I'd be honest!

I'm going to reach out to evolution for help on this one. My belief is that men have historically been the protectors of his family. For purposes that developed solely out of a desire/need to survive, this protective instinct has been ingrained into most men. You see it all throughout the animal kingdom as well. We are biologically driven to protect our mates and our offspring to allow them a better chance to survive and carry on our bloodline. In my opinion, guns are an excellent tool for this purpose.

Here's where I get myself into trouble. Women on the whole tend to be less aggressive, less likely to use deadly force, less able to perform effectively in violent encounters and generally like guns less than men. That's not to say there aren't women who can do these things. I know women who could beat me up. I know women who can shoot better than me. Guns (again, on the whole) are more manly and most women don't like the idea of shooting them. They can be loud and intimidating. I know this sounds extremely condescending, but it's not meant that way. It's just the general sense that I have from my 36 years of life on this earth. I applaud (and think it's very attractive) when I see a woman shooting at the range. But like you said, guys definitely gravitate toward guns more than women do.

Quick side note - might also be because guns are powerful, loud and make big explosions. Us guys typically like things like that.

[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post