Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2017, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2017 10:56 AM by epronovost.)
RE: Interview with reeveseb on the subject of gun control
I see noxious pattern in the American society surrounding fear of the other and fear of crime. Trump was brought into power mostly on his rethoric against dangerous hispanic criminals and Muslim terrorists and he wasn't the first one. From your own description, this noxious fearfull athmosphere isn't completly lost on you. You consider your fear of gangsterism very legitimate while at the same time never have been exposed to gangs personnaly, neither have you ever been victim of a crime in which owning a firearm could have been useful for your defense. Fortunately, this fear of crime hasn't been translated or generalised in you to a fear of minorities in general, but in some it obviously has been the case due to the relatively high support for racist policies in the American society. Do you think a lower level of xenophobia within the American society would result in a lower level of gun ownership?

Gun control has become a wedge issue between Democrat and Republican. Do you think it has created a number of ''orphan of the Democrat party'' who will not vote for them due to their stance on gun control or do you consider that the Democrat position is supple enough not to have created a lot of such ''orphans''?

PS: If I asked all those question about racism and machismo and gun ownership it is because polls demonstrate that there is a strong correlation between race and gender in gun ownership, but also in political affiliation with Republican much more likely to own weapons than Democrats and an inverse level of correlation between ethnic diversity within an area and gun ownership. The archetype of an american gun owner is a white middle aged man, living in the Southern United States, living in a suburb of mostly of white people who vote Republican and bought his weapons mostly for self defense. I do not think that owning a gun or liking guns can make you racist or mark you as a racist in the US. These were my last question on the subject of racism, politics and gun ownership.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 11:51 AM
(04-09-2017 10:48 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I see noxious pattern in the American society surrounding fear of the other and fear of crime. Trump was brought into power mostly on his rethoric against dangerous hispanic criminals and Muslim terrorists and he wasn't the first one. From your own description, this noxious fearfull athmosphere isn't completly lost on you. You consider your fear of gangsterism very legitimate while at the same time never have been exposed to gangs personnaly, neither have you ever been victim of a crime in which owning a firearm could have been useful for your defense. Fortunately, this fear of crime hasn't been translated or generalised in you to a fear of minorities in general, but in some it obviously has been the case due to the relatively high support for racist policies in the American society. Do you think a lower level of xenophobia within the American society would result in a lower level of gun ownership?
Probably. The population on the US is so diverse that I fear no matter what, there will always be people with those attitudes. I do believe that as our country ages, tolerance and acceptance of differences is increasing. I think time will really be what changes the paradigm here in the US. It's just happening at a slower rate than many of us would like.

(04-09-2017 10:48 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Gun control has become a wedge issue between Democrat and Republican. Do you think it has created a number of ''orphan of the Democrat party'' who will not vote for them due to their stance on gun control or do you consider that the Democrat position is supple enough not to have created a lot of such ''orphans''?
No I don't think so. Simply because I believe most sensible people understand that passing any kind of gun control legislation is so very unlikely no matter who is in power. The sheer numbers of people who support the 2nd amendment as it was recently interpreted by the Supreme Court are staggering and any attempt to make guns illegal, tax them out of existence, or any other sort of measure aimed at reducing gun ownership would be futile. No politician currently has enough political capital to do something like that and make it stick. It might be a wedge issue, but I don't think gun-owning democrats shy away from voting for their guy/gal because of their stance on guns. Additionally, most democrat politicians aren't willing to jump out there with the full confiscate stance even if they believe it to be the best solution because they would certainly lose at the polls. Not because democrats wouldn't support it, but the republican base would turn out in such numbers as to always see a candidate like that lose (except in highly blue areas, void of many republicans). Mind you, all of this is my speculation. I'm certainly no political pundit.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
04-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Have you insurred your goods against robbery, an alarm system on your house or a guard dog(s)?

Would you consider them an adequate replacement for a firearm in a crippling majority of circomstances?

Were you ever asked for you carrying permit while in public with your weapon in view?

04-09-2017, 12:40 PM
(04-09-2017 12:07 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Have you insurred your goods against robbery, an alarm system on your house or a guard dog(s)?
We do have insurance. We do not have an alarm system. We used to have dogs that would bark, but I'm not comfortable having "guard dogs" as I see them as more of a potential hazard to my children than my guns. Dogs have minds of their own and are ultimately unpredictable. I love dogs and have owned quite a few, but not for the purposes of protection or alerting.

(04-09-2017 12:07 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Would you consider them an adequate replacement for a firearm in a crippling majority of circomstances?
No. Insurance is only good for replacing lost property. Doesn't help with physical attacks. Alarms are certainly a deterrent, but we currently live in an apartment and we feels very safe where we live. Dogs...I see the value from a deterrent perspective, but not really practical for apartment living with little to no exercise.

(04-09-2017 12:07 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Were you ever asked for you carrying permit while in public with your weapon in view?
No. In NC, you do not have to have a permit to open carry. You do however have to have a license to conceal carry.

I've received looks, and a few comments. I've had some people come up to me and thank me for exercising my right to carry. I've never been asked to leave an establishment for open carrying. I also watch for and obey signs that restrict carrying weapons.

04-09-2017, 01:00 PM
These would be pretty all the major question surrounding gun control and ownership in the US I had. I would like to thank you for answering them all to the best of your capacities. If you would like to turn the table and ask me a questions on the subject and/or make a final summary of your perception or vision of gun control and onwership to serve as a conclusion feel free to do so.

04-09-2017, 01:41 PM
(04-09-2017 01:00 PM)epronovost Wrote:  These would be pretty all the major question surrounding gun control and ownership in the US I had. I would like to thank you for answering them all to the best of your capacities. If you would like to turn the table and ask me a questions on the subject and/or make a final summary of your perception or vision of gun control and onwership to serve as a conclusion feel free to do so.

I did have to think a little bit more than I usually do and that's never a bad thing!!!

I guess if I had to say anything to close out, I would say that being a gun owner doesn't automatically make you a bad person. Perhaps in the eyes of some, but the vast majority of gun owners adhere to all laws, rules, regulations and safety rules regarding guns. I take owning guns very seriously and give them the respect they deserve. Just yesterday, my son went to a sleepover with two of his friends. Because there's a real possibility of their parents being gun owners, I called to ask. Indeed the husband owns a handgun and has his CCL. The wife assured me that they keep the gun in their room which is off limits and even then, it's locked away and out of the reach of any children, their son knows all of the rules, and I didn't really have any reservations about letting my son stay over. I also reiterated the rules that he already knows, and reminded him that guns are tools, but they will kill without a second thought if the rules aren't followed. We are responsible people and our choice to have firearms is based on what I believe to be a long standing feeling here in the US that we take responsibility for ourselves and don't rely on the government (police) to save us if something bad were to happen. Particularly, I would rather have the ability to protect my family rather than having to wait on police who most likely wouldn't show up in time.

Since its inception, the US has been built on self-reliance and gun ownership has always been a part of that. Regardless of what happens, I doubt that will ever change, at least in the foreseeable future.

[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
04-09-2017, 01:47 PM
Well thank you for those last words, see you around on other threads!

To the moderation team, I think you can officially close this thread.

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post