'Into The Wild' Film Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 11:19 AM
'Into The Wild' Film Discussion
Hey there, my favourite film of all time is 'Into the Wild'! I have watched it around 6 times which shows how much I like it! I have also read the book.
Here we can discuss the film, what did you think on the film? What did you think of Chris McCandless? Would you like to do the same thing as McCandless?
Those who haven't seen the film, its really worth watching, it is inspiring, has a great soundtrack, great acting and beautiful picturesque scenery!

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 02:15 PM by Vera.)
RE: 'Into The Wild' Film Discussion
Frankly? I'm sorry he died, but I think the whole thing was stupid and immature. Of course, I would feel differently were I 20. And then again - maybe not.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
03-03-2013, 05:20 PM
(03-03-2013 02:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Frankly? I'm sorry he died, but I think the whole thing was stupid and immature. Of course, I would feel differently were I 20. And then again - maybe not.
See I actually admire him. He did make some stupid decisions like not having suitable kit to live outdoors and survive, but at least he went and did it. He decided to break free from the world and actually went to live his dream. Most people never take the risk of following their dreams. He could have done things better and he does sound arrogant at times. I think he could have got out alive if he had a bit more luck however if he did get out alive then we would never have likely heard of him.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
03-03-2013, 05:27 PM
(03-03-2013 05:20 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  See I actually admire him. He did make some stupid decisions like not having suitable kit to live outdoors and survive, but at least he went and did it. He decided to break free from the world and actually went to live his dream. Most people never take the risk of following their dreams. He could have done things better and he does sound arrogant at times. I think he could have got out alive if he had a bit more luck however if he did get out alive then we would never have likely heard of him.
I do get where he was coming from. All I'm saying is, you don't like the way this world is (and there's a lot to dislike), do something about, try to help others, not escape the world itself. 'Cause it's never going anywhere anyway.

I have someone very dear to me who admires him (and the movie), but to me, it's all about lessening the suffering of others, not about pretending that that suffering isn't there to begin with.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
03-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Nobody gets out alive...
03-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Good movie though. And I've considered doing something similar... In a more hospitable environment... And with less uneatables
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
I am glad I didn't have to go to the ends of the earth to realize I am a social creature and other nice and loving people are what make my happiness. That's what I took from the movie. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
03-03-2013, 07:14 PM
(03-03-2013 06:57 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am glad I didn't have to go to the ends of the earth to realize I am a social creature and other nice and loving people are what make my happiness. That's what I took from the movie. Smile

I have to admit, as a person with no real friends due to having social anxiety, I had hoped that Chris's idea that you didn't need others to be happy was true, however as the movie tells us, 'happiness is only real if shared'. I guess I need to start working on my social skills Smile

03-03-2013, 08:01 PM
(03-03-2013 07:14 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 06:57 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I am glad I didn't have to go to the ends of the earth to realize I am a social creature and other nice and loving people are what make my happiness. That's what I took from the movie. Smile

I have to admit, as a person with no real friends due to having social anxiety, I had hoped that Chris's idea that you didn't need others to be happy was true, however as the movie tells us, 'happiness is only real if shared'. I guess I need to start working on my social skills Smile
Well, that doesn't mean you have to be an extrovert. I'm certainly not. Smile
06-03-2013, 08:44 AM
It's incredibly depressing that after deciding to go back to the world he makes one stupid mistake and it kills him. I love Krakauer but I prefer Into Thin Air over this book. But thats just because my dream is to climb Everest, and Into Thin Air is a brutal reminder of what happens if I'm not prepared.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"