Into the Sky?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Lightbulb Into the Sky?
I used to be very interested in the idea of space travel, and, I still am, to an extent. I came across something called the Orion Project, a project undertaken in 1947. The aim was to build space craft which would be able to undertake interplanetary missions with ease, speed, and cost-efficiency. The earliest models would be able to go at 3.3% the speed of light (10,000 k/s), and would be able to reach Jupiter and the outer planets in less than 2 weeks (check the dates- my memory's fuzzy).

Other models were designed a decade or two after, in 1950's-1980's to undertake interstellar travel, albeit in quite some years, at around half of the speed of light. And what do these miracle spacecraft use? NPP, or Nuclear Pulse Propulsion.

Yep, a series of Nuclear explosions within a contained area (that's the gist of it) would have been the thing carrying Humans, and possibly plants and animals, into the near and far reaches of the galaxy. Now, the Project was abandoned after the Partial Ban Treaty came to be passed in 1963, which didn't allow for Nuclear testing done above ground.

The question is, would we want to take such a risk, and will we be able to take such risks in the future? What I mean is that how will Christianity and other such religions behave and react in the next decade to technological discoveries and marvels? Will they cling to their beliefs, lashing out when cornered, still continuing their practices, or will they finally abandon the foolish notion of God(s)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
RE: Into the Sky?
(03-01-2012 03:15 PM)The Intrepid Atheist Wrote:  I used to be very interested in the idea of space travel, and, I still am, to an extent. I came across something called the Orion Project, a project undertaken in 1947. The aim was to build space craft which would be able to undertake interplanetary missions with ease, speed, and cost-efficiency. The earliest models would be able to go at 3.3% the speed of light (10,000 k/s), and would be able to reach Jupiter and the outer planets in less than 2 weeks (check the dates- my memory's fuzzy).

Other models were designed a decade or two after, in 1950's-1980's to undertake interstellar travel, albeit in quite some years, at around half of the speed of light. And what do these miracle spacecraft use? NPP, or Nuclear Pulse Propulsion.

Yep, a series of Nuclear explosions within a contained area (that's the gist of it) would have been the thing carrying Humans, and possibly plants and animals, into the near and far reaches of the galaxy. Now, the Project was abandoned after the Partial Ban Treaty came to be passed in 1963, which didn't allow for Nuclear testing done above ground.

The question is, would we want to take such a risk, and will we be able to take such risks in the future? What I mean is that how will Christianity and other such religions behave and react in the next decade to technological discoveries and marvels? Will they cling to their beliefs, lashing out when cornered, still continuing their practices, or will they finally abandon the foolish notion of God(s)?

I'm not sure I can speak to the rest of your post, but the last part: Religionists will still cling to their beliefs and lash out when cornered. Look at the debates over stem-cell research and cloning. The biggest opponents to these sorts of scientific endeavors are the conservative Christians. If we ever found life on other planets, or aliens showed up here, Christians would just say the aliens are God's Children too and they've been chosen to live in Heaven with KC or burn in Hell with the rest of the forum.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
(03-01-2012 08:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 03:15 PM)The Intrepid Atheist Wrote:  I used to be very interested in the idea of space travel, and, I still am, to an extent. I came across something called the Orion Project, a project undertaken in 1947. The aim was to build space craft which would be able to undertake interplanetary missions with ease, speed, and cost-efficiency. The earliest models would be able to go at 3.3% the speed of light (10,000 k/s), and would be able to reach Jupiter and the outer planets in less than 2 weeks (check the dates- my memory's fuzzy).

I'm not sure I can speak to the rest of your post, but the last part: Religionists will still cling to their beliefs and lash out when cornered. Look at the debates over stem-cell research and cloning. The biggest opponents to these sorts of scientific endeavors are the conservative Christians. If we ever found life on other planets, or aliens showed up here, Christians would just say the aliens are God's Children too and they've been chosen to live in Heaven with KC or burn in Hell with the rest of the forum.

Oh, hi. You called?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-01-2012, 01:54 PM
(04-01-2012 09:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 08:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Oh, hi. You called?

No, no, I don't think so.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
There is still some talk about the Nuclear option for engines but so many people are scared that something will happen and we'll blow up our planet.

I was watching the Nasa channel lastnight/early morning and they are pushing hard for manned travel to mars. It's going to happen and we can get there in 180 days. They said it would be 180 days there, 500 days on the planet, then 180 days back. 20-30 years away depending on technology.

They have this new 1ton rover on the way now to do more research and this will help a lot more with the information they will need for this manned mission.

They also mentioned it was time for us to be a two planet species and just hearing that made me kind of proud Tongue

I'm with Ex. with his reply.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
just sayin'
[Image: spirit.png]

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
You make me feel horribly sad for that Rover. Maybe one day we will pick it up.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
07-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Erxomai, that was my thought too. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas, though. Also, I think we've established that religions are a problem- how do we solve it? Atheists.org are doing a nice job with their billboard campaign, but that's too local, and largely only angers most of the religious folk.

Any (more) ideas?
07-01-2012, 03:40 PM
We need to diminish the churches power within the governments. Also legalizing gay marriage would be another heavy shot into the heart of religious radicalism. We need to continue to make it clear that this is everyone's country and not their own.

I also have problems with home schooling since an overwhelming are religious and are sheltered from other ideas. These will be the ones we will have the most trouble with in the future.

I know other countries have taken better steps then the states and I can only hope we can follow suit.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?