Intro

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Intro
I am new to being a member, but not to the sight or being Atheist. I do believe I have always been an Atheist, but only in the year or so actually gave my beliefs a voice. I was raised Pentecostal in the South (and ironically was abused in almost every way). We read the bible every night, and the weekends we read in the morning as well. We sat in front of the pulpit in our living room when we read our "Student Bible". I was eagar to gain favor from my father and grandmother who usually guided our "studies", so I put everything I had into reading every word and doing my best to understand it. I have always been a very litteral person and still am. My questions were not accepted and quickly turned into the idea that I was possessed and was the center of many "prayer sessions" and sobbed while people touched me and yelled incoherent babble. Maybe my childhood would have been easier if I had done the same as my brother and pretended to speak in tounges and fall asleep in the middle of church, everyone loved him after that! But that was not and is not my style. It made a difficult childhood even harder. But alas, I made it through and never stopped questioning. The more I studied science (not allowed as a child), the closer I came to believe that there is no god. I am happy to be part of this community, and I find that those in this community are far more kind and compassionate that any believer I have ever met. Thank you to the accepting Atheist community!!!

"neutrality helps the oppressor,never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
~Elie Wiesel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TSW's post
08-06-2014, 12:24 AM
RE: Intro
(07-06-2014 09:56 PM)TSW Wrote:  I am new to being a member, but not to the sight or being Atheist. I do believe I have always been an Atheist, but only in the year or so actually gave my beliefs a voice. I was raised Pentecostal in the South (and ironically was abused in almost every way). We read the bible every night, and the weekends we read in the morning as well. We sat in front of the pulpit in our living room when we read our "Student Bible". I was eagar to gain favor from my father and grandmother who usually guided our "studies", so I put everything I had into reading every word and doing my best to understand it. I have always been a very litteral person and still am. My questions were not accepted and quickly turned into the idea that I was possessed and was the center of many "prayer sessions" and sobbed while people touched me and yelled incoherent babble. Maybe my childhood would have been easier if I had done the same as my brother and pretended to speak in tounges and fall asleep in the middle of church, everyone loved him after that! But that was not and is not my style. It made a difficult childhood even harder. But alas, I made it through and never stopped questioning. The more I studied science (not allowed as a child), the closer I came to believe that there is no god. I am happy to be part of this community, and I find that those in this community are far more kind and compassionate that any believer I have ever met. Thank you to the accepting Atheist community!!!

Hello TSW and welcome to the group!

I wish I had been an atheist my whole life, but like you, was raised and abused, in the name of god. Sweet, huh! Dodgy

However, having been on both sides of the fence, so to speak, I've come to appreciate how much more accepting and kind, the atheists are. I hope you enjoy your time here, as much as I do.

Good to have you with us! Yes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
08-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the fray.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-06-2014, 04:06 AM
Welcome!
Glad you're here. Smile
08-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Welcome, here is your welcome gecko.

[Image: red-web.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
08-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Welcome!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
(07-06-2014 09:56 PM)TSW Wrote:  I am new to being a member, but not to the sight or being Atheist. I do believe I have always been an Atheist, but only in the year or so actually gave my beliefs a voice. I was raised Pentecostal in the South (and ironically was abused in almost every way). We read the bible every night, and the weekends we read in the morning as well. We sat in front of the pulpit in our living room when we read our "Student Bible". I was eagar to gain favor from my father and grandmother who usually guided our "studies", so I put everything I had into reading every word and doing my best to understand it. I have always been a very litteral person and still am. My questions were not accepted and quickly turned into the idea that I was possessed and was the center of many "prayer sessions" and sobbed while people touched me and yelled incoherent babble. Maybe my childhood would have been easier if I had done the same as my brother and pretended to speak in tounges and fall asleep in the middle of church, everyone loved him after that! But that was not and is not my style. It made a difficult childhood even harder. But alas, I made it through and never stopped questioning. The more I studied science (not allowed as a child), the closer I came to believe that there is no god. I am happy to be part of this community, and I find that those in this community are far more kind and compassionate that any believer I have ever met. Thank you to the accepting Atheist community!!!

you and I have a similar background Smile

welcome

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)