Intro

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2015, 06:35 PM
Intro
Hello all...

I've been an atheist online for several years, but keep it close to home locally - as I appreciate friends as they are, and have no wish to throw their delusions in their faces....yet.

I belong to CFI and FFRF, and have read fairly extensively on the interactions of disbelief in society. Hitchens is a particular favourite, and my thinking is similarly contrarian, except that I lack his ability to write so well, or so clearly.

American politics I follow closely, as they are mostly a stage for the battle between religious dogma and humanist morality. Looking forward to good discussions here...I was invited by someone who can both discuss and defend a good idea.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like larry-new's post
08-12-2015, 07:42 PM
RE: Intro
Let me be the first to welcome you.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
08-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Welcome!
08-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Welcome aboard! Thumbsup
08-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Hi Shy
and welcome! Big Grin

08-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Hi Larry,

I see you made it. Big Grin I hope you like it here. I've found some great stuff so far.

I found this in the other fo. I thought you might like it. I'm going to request the local library get it. ‘Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World,’ by Tim Whitmarsh

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/books/....html?_r=1

Heatheness

(08-12-2015 06:35 PM)larry-new Wrote:  Hello all...

I've been an atheist online for several years, but keep it close to home locally - as I appreciate friends as they are, and have no wish to throw their delusions in their faces....yet.

I belong to CFI and FFRF, and have read fairly extensively on the interactions of disbelief in society. Hitchens is a particular favourite, and my thinking is similarly contrarian, except that I lack his ability to write so well, or so clearly.

American politics I follow closely, as they are mostly a stage for the battle between religious dogma and humanist morality. Looking forward to good discussions here...I was invited by someone who can both discuss and defend a good idea.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
08-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Hello.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
09-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Hello! Big Grin
09-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-02-2016, 07:21 PM
OK, so a REintro...

I've not been on here much, mostly because the mobile version is a pain to use, and didn' t even let me now what page I'm on in a thread.

My good buddy MzH straightened me out by pointing me to the "full version" link which fixes things. Armed with a new bluetooth keyboard, I'm now ready to wade in....

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post