Intro - From Mormonism to Athiesm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Intro - From Mormonism to Athiesm
Hello!
I live in and was born in Utah, so you can probably guess I was raised to be Mormon and most people around me are Mormon.

All I can say is thank the FSM for the internet! It was ultimately my tool of extrication.

Growing up, I attended primary (sunday school for the wee ones) every week, had family home evening (sunday school home-school) every week, was taught to read my holy books every night, and pray to Heavenly Father every chance I could spare. With all that constant indoctrination how on earth did I end up being an Athiest??

The best answer I can give is that I stopped PRAYING for the books to be true and started THINKING. About everything.

During my early teen years, I found church to be the most boring and scrupulous thing in the world. Because of that, I made it a point to daydream my way through it. Since I spent the vast majority of each church session (3 hours of the day) day dreaming, I missed most of what they were saying in the lessons and during talks/sermons. I'm glad I missed it.

If I had actually payed attention to the brainwashing and happy nit-picking favorite stories from the books, I might have never started to question.

I don't like to call it a de-conversion from the church, to me, that applies the loss of something. I gained an entire new world. To me, that is extrication.

The push from my whole community to go on a mission was the catalyst of my extrication. I thought, if I don't even know half of what is in my scriptures, how can I tell people I believe it? I would rather let people be happy with their own choices in life than to lie to them just so my church could add another tally mark to the scoreboard. I then found out that a mission costs up to 10,000 dollars! This money has to come from me!

I started to think.. the majority of Mormons I know make well over an average income. These devout people pay 10% of that income to the church once a month, and there are quite a lot of Mormons. This church is making a whole lot of money! And I don't recall hearing about the church donating much to charity. They should at least pay for their little brainwashed soldiers to go out and sometimes RISK their lives to teach this crap.

Another big issue I had was the fact that everyone else was wrong. Being a big fan Gandhi I brought it up to my now-agnostic theist-wife, who is more likely to go to the highest tier of heaven?:
---A Hindu man who WOULD reject the mormon belief, but respect it. Who spent is entire life peacefully fighting for human rights and was arguably one of the most peaceful men ever known?
OR
---A mormon small business owner who was baptized at 8 years of age, who was married in the temple to his mormon wife, who attends church weekly, reads the books, prays.... and repents... because he beats his wife and children.

Once I started to see organized religion for what it really is, a tax-free business, I wanted answers. I was not going to go to and church officials for answers because they would undoubtedly give me some vague response along the lines of "God works in mysterious ways, everything is done according to His plan". These answers would always frustrate me.

I turned to the wonderful and glorious internet.

I started to watch debates, I looked for documentation of our "perfect" prophet, Joseph Smith, and I would only accept documentation if it came from unbiased sources. Come to find out, unbiased information about the Mormon church is a horror story. The prophet's polygamous marriages, the mountain meadows massacre, strange rituals in temples, rape, murder, theft, lies upon lies.

This TTA podcast explains it quite well.

I also thought that I couldn't dump all religions because I don't agree with the Mormon church. I dumped Christianity quickly since I have also been studying Science this whole time. Evolution disproves the Adam and Eve story (if you disagree, you don't know how evolution works), and if the A&E story is crap then so is original sin, which makes the crucifixion (is it spelled with an x so as to not spell fiction?) bogus as well. So I investigated the Hinduism, Islam, Judaism... I realized it's all the same story, though some stories are much more immoral than others.

With all of that, topped with mountains of scientific evidence, logic, reasoning, and my own sense of morality, I could not believe any of these books. I find it funny now that the only religious argument even close to viable is that God created the big bang. Just because science hasn't explained it YET, does not mean anything supernatural exists. It's almost like the false dichotomy fallacy, either it's science or God, no... it's unknown. Sorry.

Moving away from all the negative stuff.

My mind has been opened to a whole world full of amazing things. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I feel soooo much better about who I am and what I do! My morals have IMPROVED since I left religion. Wow, the LGBT community is a wonderful thing! Wow, women are equal to men spiritually, physically, and mentally! Wow, people can make their own choices regardless of what religion says.

Because of TTA, Darkmatter2525, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, The Atheist Experience, and a bunch of other people who are apparently bound for hell... I am a happier, more accepting, more loving, more giving, and more moral person than I was before. Thank you Smile

Currently, I have not "come out" to my family or most of my friends. It's a scary thing to be looked down on or even disowned for questioning and denying what some old books say. This world has a long way to go.
If anyone in Utah is reading this or is going though this, private message me, add me on facebook (ask for info). I know how hard it is and how hard it is going to be.

We are not alone, we are not crazy, we are not ugly. We should be proud.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like ExtricatedBeyondBelief's post
17-09-2014, 07:24 PM
RE: Intro - From Mormonism to Athiesm
(17-09-2014 07:16 PM)ExtricatedBeyondBelief Wrote:  Hello!
I live in and was born in Utah, so you can probably guess I was raised to be Mormon and most people around me are Mormon.

All I can say is thank the FSM for the internet! It was ultimately my tool of extrication.

Growing up, I attended primary (sunday school for the wee ones) every week, had family home evening (sunday school home-school) every week, was taught to read my holy books every night, and pray to Heavenly Father every chance I could spare. With all that constant indoctrination how on earth did I end up being an Athiest??

The best answer I can give is that I stopped PRAYING for the books to be true and started THINKING. About everything.

During my early teen years, I found church to be the most boring and scrupulous thing in the world. Because of that, I made it a point to daydream my way through it. Since I spent the vast majority of each church session (3 hours of the day) day dreaming, I missed most of what they were saying in the lessons and during talks/sermons. I'm glad I missed it.

If I had actually payed attention to the brainwashing and happy nit-picking favorite stories from the books, I might have never started to question.

I don't like to call it a de-conversion from the church, to me, that applies the loss of something. I gained an entire new world. To me, that is extrication.

The push from my whole community to go on a mission was the catalyst of my extrication. I thought, if I don't even know half of what is in my scriptures, how can I tell people I believe it? I would rather let people be happy with their own choices in life than to lie to them just so my church could add another tally mark to the scoreboard. I then found out that a mission costs up to 10,000 dollars! This money has to come from me!

I started to think.. the majority of Mormons I know make well over an average income. These devout people pay 10% of that income to the church once a month, and there are quite a lot of Mormons. This church is making a whole lot of money! And I don't recall hearing about the church donating much to charity. They should at least pay for their little brainwashed soldiers to go out and sometimes RISK their lives to teach this crap.

Another big issue I had was the fact that everyone else was wrong. Being a big fan Gandhi I brought it up to my now-agnostic theist-wife, who is more likely to go to the highest tier of heaven?:
---A Hindu man who WOULD reject the mormon belief, but respect it. Who spent is entire life peacefully fighting for human rights and was arguably one of the most peaceful men ever known?
OR
---A mormon small business owner who was baptized at 8 years of age, who was married in the temple to his mormon wife, who attends church weekly, reads the books, prays.... and repents... because he beats his wife and children.

Once I started to see organized religion for what it really is, a tax-free business, I wanted answers. I was not going to go to and church officials for answers because they would undoubtedly give me some vague response along the lines of "God works in mysterious ways, everything is done according to His plan". These answers would always frustrate me.

I turned to the wonderful and glorious internet.

I started to watch debates, I looked for documentation of our "perfect" prophet, Joseph Smith, and I would only accept documentation if it came from unbiased sources. Come to find out, unbiased information about the Mormon church is a horror story. The prophet's polygamous marriages, the mountain meadows massacre, strange rituals in temples, rape, murder, theft, lies upon lies.

This TTA podcast explains it quite well.

I also thought that I couldn't dump all religions because I don't agree with the Mormon church. I dumped Christianity quickly since I have also been studying Science this whole time. Evolution disproves the Adam and Eve story (if you disagree, you don't know how evolution works), and if the A&E story is crap then so is original sin, which makes the crucifixion (is it spelled with an x so as to not spell fiction?) bogus as well. So I investigated the Hinduism, Islam, Judaism... I realized it's all the same story, though some stories are much more immoral than others.

With all of that, topped with mountains of scientific evidence, logic, reasoning, and my own sense of morality, I could not believe any of these books. I find it funny now that the only religious argument even close to viable is that God created the big bang. Just because science hasn't explained it YET, does not mean anything supernatural exists. It's almost like the false dichotomy fallacy, either it's science or God, no... it's unknown. Sorry.

Moving away from all the negative stuff.

My mind has been opened to a whole world full of amazing things. A weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I feel soooo much better about who I am and what I do! My morals have IMPROVED since I left religion. Wow, the LGBT community is a wonderful thing! Wow, women are equal to men spiritually, physically, and mentally! Wow, people can make their own choices regardless of what religion says.

Because of TTA, Darkmatter2525, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, The Atheist Experience, and a bunch of other people who are apparently bound for hell... I am a happier, more accepting, more loving, more giving, and more moral person than I was before. Thank you Smile

Currently, I have not "come out" to my family or most of my friends. It's a scary thing to be looked down on or even disowned for questioning and denying what some old books say. This world has a long way to go.
If anyone in Utah is reading this or is going though this, private message me, add me on facebook (ask for info). I know how hard it is and how hard it is going to be.

We are not alone, we are not crazy, we are not ugly. We should be proud.

Hiya and welcome from the South.

So, we don't have many LDS here, former or otherwise.

Mormon AMA? (Nothing embarrassing, just wanted your input on somethings).

Pm me if you want to.

Welcome again.
17-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Welcome! Yes

great intro post

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
17-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Glad you found this place. Get ready to be entertained!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Life after Mormonism is a glorious thing! I enjoy the alcohol feature of it Big Grin Anyways, welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay!

[Image: notagain.gif]
18-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Welcome, have a cup of coffee. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user