Intro Thingy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Intro Thingy
(04-09-2015 08:52 PM)M107 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:34 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Hi M107, and welcome! Shy

It is possible that we could get in trouble for allowing a 10 year old into a thread like The Sexy Banter Thread! So we don't let them into it because it'd be a shame to lose all the other threads, with actual helpful info in them, when The Man came around to shut us down! Tongue

Under what law and who's authority? The 10 year old would be letting themselves in, not the other way around.

You might find something in the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which is a United States Federal law. Could be others for all I know. Beyond that I wouldn't put it past a parent to sue a site for allowing an underage person to post a provocative pic of themselves in a sexy thread, for however a short time it took for a mod to delete it. Win, lose, or never happen-just not worth the hassle, I guess! *shrugs*

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
04-09-2015, 09:18 PM
I mean is this really an issue? I wouldn't want ten year olds in the sexy banter thread even if they could somehow get in there. I get the anarchist thing but really?
04-09-2015, 09:21 PM
Welcome to TTA.

You say you've lurked a bit so you'll know that intro threads are not places for heated discussions (luke warm ones are generally acceptable) so feel free to start a new thread on anarchy/authority/etc.

(04-09-2015 08:04 PM)M107 Wrote:  ...
For example, the Intimacy and Relationships threads require that you be 18 years of age. What would be the justification for such a limitation? Sexual repression is a classical component of authoritarianism; the concept that sexuality is taboo and 'dirty' and should be shielded from 'youth' as to protect their 'innocence'. Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye, but I can't see it.

Anyways, Hi Big Grin

For what it's worth (not very much) I have not joined the over-18 section as my position is not far from yours.

It was a democratic decision to have an exclusive section. I was in the minority... too bad.

The "more to it" bit that didn't meet your eye was that far from "sexuality is taboo and 'dirty' and should be shielded from 'youth' as to protect their 'innocence'" it was actually more about a reticence to get really down and dirty in front of minors i.e. not protecting the minors but more about increasing the dirt level for the non-minors.

Why did people feel that way? I dunno, but I guess it's something to do with puritanical societal pressures and having god on the money or something.

I blame St. Paul for that.

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
04-09-2015, 09:26 PM
(04-09-2015 08:42 PM)M107 Wrote:  Anarchists maintain that anarchy, the absence of rulers, is a viable form of social system and so work for the maximisation of individual liberty and social equality.

2 men enter, one man leaves.

#sigh
04-09-2015, 09:28 PM
(04-09-2015 08:42 PM)M107 Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 08:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What's that mean? I thought anarchists argued against the rule of law and government? Avid social anarchist reads to me like the Unabomber living in a shack off the grid writing his manifesto. Hobo

lol!! I understand where those associations come from but that's far from true. Anarchism is a political theory that dates back to the enlightenment that aims to create a society which is without political, economic or social hierarchies. Anarchists maintain that anarchy, the absence of rulers, is a viable form of social system and so work for the maximisation of individual liberty and social equality.

Please start a new thread on that so we can dismantle the viability of anarchism.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
04-09-2015, 09:29 PM

#sigh
04-09-2015, 09:49 PM
(04-09-2015 09:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  [...
Please start a new thread ...

I appreciate that. thank you.

Thumbsup

05-09-2015, 12:07 AM
Holy what a bunch of crap not suitable for an intro thread, Batman. Big Grin

Welcome, n00b.

living word
05-09-2015, 07:42 AM
So the thin-skinned twit deleted the content of all his posts. Facepalm

I thought that editing posts wasn't allowed for 30 days or something due to just this problem. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
05-09-2015, 07:45 AM
(05-09-2015 07:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  So the thin-skinned twit deleted the content of all his posts. Facepalm

I thought that editing posts wasn't allowed for 30 days or something due to just this problem. Consider

Is the other way around, can only edit for up to twelve hours or something; and what problem? If evenheathen wasn't so mean and stuff. Weeping

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post