Intro and a few questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Intro and a few questions
I'll start by apologizing, I am quite long winded in posts and in person as well. I posted in another thread already about myself, but this seems a little more public. I am a 35 year old soldier with a wife and 4 kids that is having a problem finding like minded people in the army and, surprise surprise, in Oklahoma. My moniker myownslave has been my own since AOL started their chat service on dial up, god knows how long ago. It means, as many here will (hopefully) assume, that I am not ruled by religion and go my own way. One of my peeves in everyday life is having to defend my non-beliefs to people that think I am going to hell. Is there any of you out there that aren't theological historians/experts or just since leaving the church don't want to take the time to rehearse and figure out how to portray why you don't believe? I believe myself to be fairly intelligent, but I don't spend my time pondering what I don't find true, and I think because of this people have to challenge me when they find out I don't buy into their nonsense. The classic rebuttals sometimes work but there is no "leave me alone" statement for some xians. I don't know, maybe I'm just venting and hoping to find someone else with similar experiences. So how about it?

The more we know, the more ignorant we become in the absolute sense, for it is only through enlightenment that we become conscious of our limitations. Precisely one of the most gratifying results of intellectual evolution is the continuous opening up of new and greater prospects.
Nikola Tesla
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes myownslave's post
07-09-2015, 09:19 PM
RE: Intro and a few questions
Welcome, n00b. Big Grin

I wanna go, how about what? But you probably want to start a new thread for that stuff. The intro section is mainly hearts and flowers. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Thank you, and roger that.

The more we know, the more ignorant we become in the absolute sense, for it is only through enlightenment that we become conscious of our limitations. Precisely one of the most gratifying results of intellectual evolution is the continuous opening up of new and greater prospects.
Nikola Tesla
[+] 1 user Likes myownslave's post
07-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Welcome to TTA, Myownslave. Being long-winded, you'll fit in quite nicely here. Many of us are long-winded. I think it goes with the territory of being freethinkers.

I don't often find myself confronted by Bible-thumpers, and I seldom try to defend my beliefs, since I'm more likely just to tell people that all religion is bullshit. But the kind of people who go around trying to convert others are never going to be swayed by any logical argument. A few possible approaches:

1. Just tell them you don't believe in that stuff. If they ask why not, answer that it just makes no sense. If they persist, point out to them that there are many religions and no concrete basis on which to choose from among them, and that even within Protestant Christianity, there are so many sects, all disagreeing with one another, that if there is a god he/she/it obviously does not want anybody to know the right one since everybody is convinced that their interpretation is the only right one.

2. More forcefully, tell them all religion is bullshit and they are morons for believing it. This will offend them, but might get them to leave you alone.

Now I come to my preferred approaches:

3. Proselytize right back at them. If you have not yet read The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster by Bobby Henderson, buy a copy. Then preach the FSM at people who try to convert you. Generally they have no idea how to respond, and they'll leave you alone. I particularly like that there is a beer volcano in heaven, according to Pastafarianism (the religion of the FSM).

4. Baffle them with bullshit. Use your imagination, but here's an example: "There is no God. I know this because God spoke to me and told me he does not exist." Variation: If someone says that God speaks to them, you say: "That's not true. God told me that he's never spoken to you. You've been listening to Satan. Everything he's told you is a lie."

Those are just a few ideas off the top of my head. Good luck, and welcome again to TTA. As you read around the board, you'll find plenty of people who have dealt with this problem, and lots of different approaches.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
07-09-2015, 09:42 PM
(07-09-2015 09:40 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  "There is no God. I know this because God spoke to me and told me he does not exist."

Dammit, that's my line. Angry

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Hiya.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
07-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Welcome.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Welcome.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
07-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi and welcome Smile I don't think you need to spend time pondering/ rehearsing explanations why you don't believe if you don't have any desire to. Just telling someone you don't believe should be sufficient. You don't need to give any more explanations. Of course, some people will push and you could just explain to them that is how you feel and you don't want to discuss it any further and would appreciate if they would respect your wishes.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post