Intro and a few questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: Intro and a few questions
(09-09-2015 03:10 PM)Octapulse Wrote:  Has Alla been to your house? Laugh out load

In her defense I was looking for some property for my own private Idaho and she just happened to be there. Remarkable because there's like 8 people in Idaho. "Do you realize you are God?" "Why yes, Alla, yes I do." "The farther away from Boise you can get, the better."

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2015, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 13-09-2015 07:33 PM by GirlyMan.)

#sigh
14-09-2015, 06:47 AM
(07-09-2015 09:16 PM)myownslave Wrote:  One of my peeves in everyday life is having to defend my non-beliefs to people that think I am going to hell. Is there any of you out there that aren't theological historians/experts or just since leaving the church don't want to take the time to rehearse and figure out how to portray why you don't believe? I believe myself to be fairly intelligent, but I don't spend my time pondering what I don't find true, and I think because of this people have to challenge me when they find out I don't buy into their nonsense. The classic rebuttals sometimes work but there is no "leave me alone" statement for some xians. I don't know, maybe I'm just venting and hoping to find someone else with similar experiences. So how about it?

I hear ya. I read the bible when I was 10 and haven't touched it since. I need no more reasons not to believe.

My age group is mostly still closeted, so these conversations don't come up unless I provoke it. Younger generations talk about it more, and that is a good thing. It needs to be brought out into the light, it needs to be the conversation, we need to come out of the closet. It's how society becomes aware and eventually adapts to differing groups, see gays and women and smoking pot and such. Atheism will become acceptable to society only when everyone realizes that they know someone who is atheist, a relative, a friend, a co-worker. It's not about deconverting the religious, it's about letting them see that many good people don't believe. The rest will take care of itself as time goes.

You'll pick up a lot of the reasoning by hanging out here, so you'll be better equipped to talk about your atheism after a bit. The religious tend to assume that we all adhere to some theory we believe in instead of god. They have a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that we are all different, and we have no dogma. So these conversations often sound all the same - we defend against a stereo type that doesn't even exist.

So, yes, I feel your frustration. But, I see it as a good thing, it's how society progresses.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-09-2015, 07:24 AM
see gays and women and smoking pot and such

Laugh out load

OK, I'm done here. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post