Intro from South Africa. Stay a while and listen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016 12:13 PM by Krypttonigt.)
Intro from South Africa. Stay a while and listen
Greetings beautiful people (yes, even YOU)

I've been here at TTA on and off for months now, but I realise that I haven't formally introduced myself yet so I figured I'd get on that and share some of my story. I haven't got anything better to do tonight so....incoming wall of text! Big Grin

Can't say that I was ever religious, my family was methodist growing up and my dad read the bible every night as a bedtime story but I honestly couldn't see any difference at all between those and the other regular fairy tales he read to me, at church I was genuinely just confused about why all the grownups thought that the stories were actually REAL Shocking
(fun little aside:being an archeologist he ended up becoming an atheist himself years later, there were just too many historical/scientific errors in the Bible and Quran to believe either of them which we discussed at length)

Here in South Africa we're a multi-cultural society made up of loads of languages, belief systems and ethnicities and in spite of Apartheid we've mostly learned how to get along in terms of religion. All my life I haven't thought twice about being close friends with Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists and such since we live together so closely...it's just never been a big deal here (bear in mind I'm talking religion here NOT race). The only bit of faith-based bigotry I've personally been the victim of was at a Christian high school I went to where I was bullied almost daily for being a terrifying 'satanist' Evil_monster.
Fun fact: I still am terrifying, but I tend to give people free cookies and high fives so they've learned to put up with me.

For the last 10 years I've been teaching English As A Foreign Language at schools which are attended by dozens of students from around the globe, including countries such as Brazil, Germany, Saudi Arabia and Angola to name just a few so I've been right at the centre of mini culture clashes, but I've also witnessed (and had a hand in) some beautiful examples of Arabs learning how to embrace secular ideals (being able to be around the opposite sex is a HUUUUUUUUGE draw for them! You have no idea) and developing an appreciation for free thought and generally growing as people.

That's the nutshell over, hi. Big Grin

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: Intro from South Africa. Stay a while and listen
Hello! Big Grin
03-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you've had an interesting time. Welcome.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
03-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi!Big Grin

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí