Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
07-12-2012, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 09:03 PM by Phil_GA.)
Intro -- from a Christian :)
As the username implies, I'm Phil and I'm from Georgia.

I took the time to sign up this evening for two reasons:

1. A coworker with whom I often bounce wild and crazy ideas highly recommended the site;
2. The FAQ has shown me that the site owner has a very good sense of humor, in spite of his claim to being an atheist Smile

Professionally, I work in IT in the areas of QA and software deployment. In other words, I break things and frustrate people, primarily because I constantly question why things are the way they are (there is sometimes as much dogma in the workplace as there is in religious organizations).

And yes, I'm a Christian. So much so that I enjoy putting the "fun" in fundamentalist. In fact, I believe so strongly in what I believe that I don't require others to believe as I do to validate my viewpoints.

So, why am I subscribing to an atheistic forum and not one that is predominantly Christian-based? Simple. I went the direction of the latter some years ago, posed a reasonably tough question on (of all things) whether anyone could show me verses in the Bible regarding abortion, and ended up getting inundated by folks who either wondered why I was questioning in the first place to a rather ardent Calvinist-based individual who essentially told me what I should believe and highly recommended I simply leave the forum.

On the other hand, I am hoping that this forum will feature better discussions where differences in opinions are respected (and those who are disagreeable can be rhetorically neutralized). I find that true intellectual growth only occurs when participants are willing to see things from different perspectives.

Yikes! Long intro! TL;DR: I hope to be able to participate in some good discussions. All things in moderation, including moderation.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Phil_GA's post
07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
Hey Phil. Welcome to the forum.
07-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the forum, Phil. If only you were from PA, I would have some serious fun with your name. Oh well. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
2. The FAQ has shown me that the site owner has a very good sense of humor, in spite of his claim to being an atheist

wat
[+] 1 user Likes Goat of Mendes's post
07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the forum. Smile

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
(07-12-2012 08:51 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  On the other hand, I am hoping that this forum will feature better discussions where differences in opinions are respected (and those who are disagreeable can be rhetorically neutralized). I find that true intellectual growth only occurs when participants are willing to see things from different perspectives.

Yikes! Long intro! TL;DR: I hope to be able to participate in some good discussions. All things in moderation, including moderation.

Thanks.

As long as you're not an asshole, you won't get asshole responses. Just don't confuse blunt or to the point with rude, as many hear the same stuff over and over and don't enjoy beating around the bush.
07-12-2012, 09:35 PM
(07-12-2012 09:12 PM)Goat of Mendes Wrote:  2. The FAQ has shown me that the site owner has a very good sense of humor, in spite of his claim to being an atheist

wat

Heh. It was a not-so-veiled rhetorical threat that I don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist.

Briefly (this might be more fully covered elsewhere), in my view, to be an atheist is to say that one knows about the entire universe to say there is no God. Instead, I believe such individuals are actually agnostics - they simply don't know for a fact.
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
(07-12-2012 09:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  ...
As long as you're not an asshole, you won't get asshole responses. Just don't confuse blunt or to the point with rude, as many hear the same stuff over and over and don't enjoy beating around the bush.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Funny -- it's usually me who smokes people out.
[+] 1 user Likes Phil_GA's post
07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
(07-12-2012 09:38 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:32 PM)Logisch Wrote:  ...

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Funny -- it's usually me who smokes people out.
You smoke them out? With farts? KC does that too. His smell like rotten cheese all the damn time. Every. Damn. Time.
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
(07-12-2012 09:11 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, Phil. If only you were from PA, I would have some serious fun with your name. Oh well. Drinking Beverage

I did grow up there, so perhaps I still have a bit of Punxutawney in me Smile

Thx to you and others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not a Christian not (yet??) an athiest Roger_the_alien 34 440 03-07-2014 11:08 AM
Last Post: kim
  My Intro Coach_Chilibob 4 65 09-06-2014 09:55 AM
Last Post: Banjo
  Intro TSW 7 87 08-06-2014 03:44 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Intro. richardfoleyrfi 7 110 27-05-2014 02:19 AM
Last Post: JDog554
Smile Intro-duck-shun CindysRain 43 583 08-05-2014 03:19 PM
Last Post: CindysRain
  My Intro DoctorKaz 13 155 04-05-2014 05:02 AM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  intro theatheistcat 10 121 09-04-2014 08:58 PM