Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
08-12-2012, 11:46 AM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
Touch a nerve, Steven? You seem to be intent on bringing the pain today.
Then again I thought there were at least three Genesis writers, not two... huh...

Well anyway, here's some food for thought:

[Image: jesuslovesme.png]

Though I must admit, I am somewhat vexed due to being seemingly skipped over with my question.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
08-12-2012, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 11:53 AM by Atothetheist.)
(08-12-2012 11:46 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Touch a nerve, Steven? You seem to be intent on bringing the pain today.
Then again I thought there were at least three Genesis writers, not two... huh...

Hey, it's not my fault he said something wrong. I always thought it was two: Preistly writer and the Yahwist. Please be sure I am correct though. I will try to see if I am right.

Btw, I am feeling a bit Chassy today.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
08-12-2012, 11:49 AM
(08-12-2012 11:46 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Touch a nerve, Steven? You seem to be intent on bringing the pain today.

Technically, FT, there were at least 4 groups that wrote the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2012, 11:51 AM
(08-12-2012 11:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Technically, FT, there were at least 4 groups that wrote the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible.
I was just talking about Genesis. I was only aware of the Preistly Source and the Yahwist.

08-12-2012, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 11:57 AM by Free Thought.)
I thought so, thanks for the clarification Erx.

I actually wanted to bring up the D.H. later on..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-12-2012, 11:58 AM
(08-12-2012 11:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I thought so, thanks for the clarification Erx.

Bullshit, Matty. You said three. Tongue

Anywho, currently, I am bored out of my mind.

08-12-2012, 12:03 PM
(08-12-2012 11:58 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I thought so, thanks for the clarification Erx.

Bullshit, Matty. You said three. Tongue

Anywho, currently, I am bored out of my mind.
Okay, I see where you're coming from now.

Usually the 5 books are considered together.

Genesis itself is mostly J, E and P, but because it's not an exact science (none of us were there to observe and the groups of authors did not autograph their work) some scholars also include small tidbits of D as well.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
(08-12-2012 11:49 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Except that now scholars think that the Deuteronomist has specific elements of the Elohist, and thus is more complex than just the single writer concept it was thought to be even just a few years ago. Some now think it may have actually really been "discovered" in a temple restoration...something that was not accepted for many years. It apparently extends beyond just Deuteronomy, it is now believed. (See Dr Hayes' course from Yale). But yes, essentially correct. No scholar disputes the Documentary Hypothesis at least in some form. In 1952, the 124 conservative, (including Baptist seminary professors), who helped Albright write "The Interpreters Bible" ALL signed off on the theory. If I were to write a paper disputing it, by just saying "oh I believe it's inspired as written" I would get flunked out of my degree program, and asked to leave. It's simply not a tenable position to dispute it, in 2012. It has been the central theme of Biblical scholarship for at least a hundred years.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2012, 02:27 PM
BTW OP, um... have you seen how dead some people get? Like blown to smithereens dead. You think that something goes on after that ? Do you really believe that ? Because when I ask my Christian friends that question the answer is always... 'uncomfortable silence... yes, yes I do, because I have this book, see, and in the book it says so.' In your heart of hearts, you think this is *enough* to base your life around ?
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
(08-12-2012 11:17 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:13 AM)Phil_GA Wrote:  I will generally state this: I believe that one can neither prove nor disprove God (else there'd be no such things as faith and hope which, interestingly, I wonder if such qualities are rational, as in, "point to the existence of hope, love, peace, patience, etc. please") and I think that's because God is, by definition, outside of the natural realm.
Why do you believe in god if you can't prove his existence? Why do you make important decisions based on such a belief? And most importantly, why is it that you believe in Yahweh, but not in Vishnu?

(08-12-2012 11:13 AM)Phil_GA Wrote:  Furthermore, I would absolutely *love* to see evidence that something outside the natural realm *cannot* invade the natural realm. Ok, so that's blurring the line of disproving a negative. Oh well.
Not only that, but you are also shifting the burden of proof. In it's most basic form, this is an argument from ignorance.

On why I believe in God in spite of the fact that I do not possess 100% certain statistical evidence for his existence: it is the same type of faith that allows me to type out this response while sitting on furniture and an iPad mini knowing that I cannot know for 100% that (1) the furniture will continue supporting me and that (2) the iPad mini will continue to operate sufficiently long enough to type in a response.

Furthermore, there are a great many things I do in life where I do not possess 100% certainty nor even have all the facts before me to proceed forward. In fact, this is always the challenge I have when deploying software; I can only test and verify to a certain deviation off the bell curve, and yet I'll never be 100% complete in everything I do. Yet, anyone at work can attest to the efficacy of the releases I've overseen.

Why the Bible's God and not another? For me, it's because he was a part of my background, and later in life, it was based on choice for a number of reasons (and no, I'm not elaborating now, maybe later).