Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
08-12-2012, 06:24 PM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
(Rhetorical thread closer begins now)

Ok, folks! I think I've now presented enough of my views to really get myself into trouble around here. Therefore, I may not be as quick to respond to things in this thread as I have been.

It's been exhilarating -- clearly, I've pissed off some, intrigued some, and have been essentially written off by still others.

Not a bad start.

Now it's time for me to start getting somewhat more focused on other threads in the forum.

Overall, thanks for the great welcome, especially from a Christian invading "foreign" turf Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phil_GA's post
08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
(08-12-2012 06:24 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  (Rhetorical thread closer begins now)

Ok, folks! I think I've now presented enough of my views to really get myself into trouble around here. Therefore, I may not be as quick to respond to things in this thread as I have been.

It's been exhilarating -- clearly, I've pissed off some, intrigued some, and have been essentially written off by still others.

Not a bad start.

Now it's time for me to start getting somewhat more focused on other threads in the forum.

Overall, thanks for the great welcome, especially from a Christian invading "foreign" turf Smile
More like "intrigued none".
Nothing original here folks.
Move along.
Yawn.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
08-12-2012, 09:05 PM
(08-12-2012 06:08 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:42 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You do realize that the first ever marriages were group marriages where guys CAN BE married to guys and so forth? Actually the first monogamous marriage was in Mesopotamia. It is quite logical to assume that monogamous marriage was EXTREMELY popular when the Genisis writer(s) (there were more than one) so they wrote it in as the normal state of marriage. Actually it is not hard to deduce that that's probably why the Yahwist created ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN. Also, children could be married to adults back then, are you saying that we should have left it that way? The current version of marriage has been revised so much that it does not even resemble what "traditional marriages" were.

How about you just say it fucking nice and clear, you don't want same-sex marriage. Not that you think marriage should be left alone, but you just don't want gays to marry.

My question(s) to you: How is same-sex marriage affecting you? Why do you have to deny gays to LEGALLY marry. Why not just allow them to get LEGALLY married, but not recognize them as a married couple SPIRITUALLY?

People deserve to be with whomever they want, granted that the partner is consenting and of age.

You are absolutely right. I do not believe that same-sex marriage is morally justified, because I believe it hijacks the very definition of marriage. Instead, from a purely libertarian viewpoint, if same-sex couples want unions (or whatever phrase needs to be used), then said folks can knock themselves out.

Same-sex marriage affects me because it impacts on the effects of societal foundation. While this is not to say that every situation of same-sex parents nor single-parent households are necessarily detrimental to society, I prefer to look towards those institutions that produce the least amount of harm as possible on society.

I think it's great that there's an obvious human history regarding marriages in different forms. However, I speak as a married individual as well as seeing plenty of personally-related examples of single-parent households and the like.

Clearly, based on your emotionally-charged response, we may have to agree to disagree for the time being on this issue.
wow...

YEC, bible basher AND a homophobe... oh and anti-abortion (but that's personal choice, but I suspect his reasons are shit so..)..

I don't know whether to insult you, laugh at you, completely dismiss you, laugh at you some more, feel sorry for you, pray for you, laugh at you, question your IQ, feel even more sorry for you, laugh at you some more.

So I'm gonna do all of the above.

LOL!! Ohh you poor delusional fucktard... I pray that one day your IQ raises above 60 and that your children all grow up gay as a rainbow.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 09:18 PM
(08-12-2012 11:23 AM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 10:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Morality is entirely subjective. There are objective tools that you can use to arrive at your set of morals, but the standard by which you judge the rightness and wrongness of an action remains an individual choice. Arguing about morality is akin to arguing about different tastes of music or art, as there are no facts to support either position, but merely the opinions of individuals. For this reason, it is impossible to present you with evidence to show that you're right or wrong.

Sure, you're "pretty darn morally right [sic]" on this issue according to your set of morality, but you sure as hell aren't according to mine and that of other people.

Ok. Then, I'd ask you to tell me from whence morals come.

Anubis. That's the original dude who weighed the heart of the recently deceased against the feather of truth, and of course, having a heavy heart wasn't a good thing. Thumbsup

But there's a coupla problems with old Anubis. He has the head of a jackal, he's not even the top dog, but worst of all, he's black. Shocking

So, some creative editing evolves an army god with a volcano god whilst acquiring all these other godly properties, and thus YHWH. Who is supposedly Spirit. But human. And male. And white. Somehow. It's a mystery. Thumbsup

Actually, it ain't. Morality is chemical intelligence, nothing more, the precursor to consciousness. Ya got like two choices, wrong or right, and two chemicals to mark those choices, dopamine and serotonin. And that's it. Time goes forward, the brain spits out a tape of y/n which is speculated and expanded upon. But that explanation doesn't satisfy small minds with large egos - read religious types - cause it's all about them and their image of god... Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
(08-12-2012 09:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 06:08 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  You are absolutely right. I do not believe that same-sex marriage is morally justified, because I believe it hijacks the very definition of marriage. Instead, from a purely libertarian viewpoint, if same-sex couples want unions (or whatever phrase needs to be used), then said folks can knock themselves out.

Same-sex marriage affects me because it impacts on the effects of societal foundation. While this is not to say that every situation of same-sex parents nor single-parent households are necessarily detrimental to society, I prefer to look towards those institutions that produce the least amount of harm as possible on society.

I think it's great that there's an obvious human history regarding marriages in different forms. However, I speak as a married individual as well as seeing plenty of personally-related examples of single-parent households and the like.

Clearly, based on your emotionally-charged response, we may have to agree to disagree for the time being on this issue.
wow...

YEC, bible basher AND a homophobe... oh and anti-abortion (but that's personal choice, but I suspect his reasons are shit so..)..

I don't know whether to insult you, laugh at you, completely dismiss you, laugh at you some more, feel sorry for you, pray for you, laugh at you, question your IQ, feel even more sorry for you, laugh at you some more.

LOL!! Ohh you poor delusional fucktard... I pray that one day your IQ raises above 60 and that your children all grow up gay as a rainbow.

Ok. I take it you're somewhere under the ripe old age of 25? Because ad hominems don't win much with anyone who has half a rational brain (which you're clearly attempting to attain, but going about it in exactly the wrong way).

So, arguments aren't won by personal attacks (though they do release those overrated endorphins to some degree, so I suppose one can get off on such things, to some degree).

For the record:

Yes, I am currently a young earth creationist (which my endorphin rush suggests I get a kick (not off) on causing anyone consternation because they have a need to feel intellectually superior to someone with whom they so strongly disagree).

No, I do not bash Bibles, nor do I use the Bible to physically nor rhetorically bash another individual. Therefore, I'm not sure where this fantasy of yours comes from, but it's clearly not rational.

No, I am not homophobic. Have you even taken the time to actually define your terms? Because if you were intellectually honest about it, you'd know that this term specifically refers to the fear or hatred of homosexuals, both attributes I categorically deny. What's so funny to me is that my wife and I have gay friends that we've known for years, and we certainly don't fear nor hate them.

Yes, I am anti abortion, in that I don't promote the outright killing of unborn children. At the same time, I'm already on record in this forum making the point (which I've actually come very close to facing at one point with my wife) that if I had to make the choice between my wife and an unborn child, then my wife's life would win out every time.

I totally get the fact that I cause you much fury to even contemplate my existence on this forum. Naturally, that's a completely irrational response towards someone with whom you simply disagree on what is likely to be a whole host of issues.

I've been called a heretic, a Nazi, an idiot, misinformed, troubled with authority, and a whole litany of other meant-to-be pejoratives over the course of my life. And since I've received these rebukes from both believers and non alike, I can only deduce that I am doing precisely and exactly what I need to be doing. Unfortunately, it does breed lots of defensiveness along the way, which makes rational discussions significantly more challenging.

So! Characterize me as you wish. I'm not stopping my pursuits, and maybe sometime you'll realize that such bitterness doesn't bode well for rational thought.

Besides - I can assure you that I, personally, am not worth the kind of energy you're expressing in my specific direction. I'm just another human on the planet who's promoting intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes Phil_GA's post
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
(08-12-2012 09:50 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  I'm just another human on the planet who's promoting intellectual honesty.
You have yet to demonstrate this. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
(08-12-2012 06:08 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:42 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You do realize that the first ever marriages were group marriages where guys CAN BE married to guys and so forth? Actually the first monogamous marriage was in Mesopotamia. It is quite logical to assume that monogamous marriage was EXTREMELY popular when the Genisis writer(s) (there were more than one) so they wrote it in as the normal state of marriage. Actually it is not hard to deduce that that's probably why the Yahwist created ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN. Also, children could be married to adults back then, are you saying that we should have left it that way? The current version of marriage has been revised so much that it does not even resemble what "traditional marriages" were.

How about you just say it fucking nice and clear, you don't want same-sex marriage. Not that you think marriage should be left alone, but you just don't want gays to marry.

My question(s) to you: How is same-sex marriage affecting you? Why do you have to deny gays to LEGALLY marry. Why not just allow them to get LEGALLY married, but not recognize them as a married couple SPIRITUALLY?

People deserve to be with whomever they want, granted that the partner is consenting and of age.

You are absolutely right. I do not believe that same-sex marriage is morally justified, because I believe it hijacks the very definition of marriage. Instead, from a purely libertarian viewpoint, if same-sex couples want unions (or whatever phrase needs to be used), then said folks can knock themselves out.

Your response is completely incoherent and illogical.

How does same-sex marriage affect heterosexual marriage?

If you support same-sex unions, how are they different from same-sex marriage?

Your arguments make no sense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Hooray, I got skipped over!

Well, anyway... Assuming Phil is genuinely honest about promoting intellectual honesty, or is actually willing to reflect on his beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence, he has a very long way to go indeed, given his responses thus far, and I think I'll be watching all the way. This whole thing, whether a waste of time, or a success, will be an interesting time for me to learn a little more about how the indoctrinated mind works. (I've nothing to go against that assumption, so I'll tenuously hold it for now.)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-12-2012, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 10:41 PM by earmuffs.)
(08-12-2012 09:50 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 09:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  wow...

Ok. I take it you're somewhere under the ripe old age of 25? Because ad hominems don't win much with anyone who has half a rational brain (which you're clearly attempting to attain, but going about it in exactly the wrong way).

So, arguments aren't won by personal attacks (though they do release those overrated endorphins to some degree, so I suppose one can get off on such things, to some degree).

For the record:

Yes, I am currently a young earth creationist (which my endorphin rush suggests I get a kick (not off) on causing anyone consternation because they have a need to feel intellectually superior to someone with whom they so strongly disagree).

No, I do not bash Bibles, nor do I use the Bible to physically nor rhetorically bash another individual. Therefore, I'm not sure where this fantasy of yours comes from, but it's clearly not rational.

No, I am not homophobic. Have you even taken the time to actually define your terms? Because if you were intellectually honest about it, you'd know that this term specifically refers to the fear or hatred of homosexuals, both attributes I categorically deny. What's so funny to me is that my wife and I have gay friends that we've known for years, and we certainly don't fear nor hate them.

Yes, I am anti abortion, in that I don't promote the outright killing of unborn children. At the same time, I'm already on record in this forum making the point (which I've actually come very close to facing at one point with my wife) that if I had to make the choice between my wife and an unborn child, then my wife's life would win out every time.

I totally get the fact that I cause you much fury to even contemplate my existence on this forum. Naturally, that's a completely irrational response towards someone with whom you simply disagree on what is likely to be a whole host of issues.

I've been called a heretic, a Nazi, an idiot, misinformed, troubled with authority, and a whole litany of other meant-to-be pejoratives over the course of my life. And since I've received these rebukes from both believers and non alike, I can only deduce that I am doing precisely and exactly what I need to be doing. Unfortunately, it does breed lots of defensiveness along the way, which makes rational discussions significantly more challenging.

So! Characterize me as you wish. I'm not stopping my pursuits, and maybe sometime you'll realize that such bitterness doesn't bode well for rational thought.

Besides - I can assure you that I, personally, am not worth the kind of energy you're expressing in my specific direction. I'm just another human on the planet who's promoting intellectual honesty.
Win an argument?

What argument?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm calling you a delusional fucktard of whom I feel up most pity for if what you have said is truly how you have/do live your life.
It must truly be absolute hell to be you and for that I pity you.

Oh, and yes you are homophobic.

You're also extremely self-centered. ie: "I'm anti-abortion because I raised 3 children" aka "If I can do it, so can everyone else". Completely negating any of the leading arguments in support of abortion.
"I don't want gays to marry because for whatever non-existent reason that will diminish the meaning of my religion".
Completely negating that straight people are diminishing the meaning of your marriage just fine. Also Gays get less divorces so..
Plus, MARRIAGE DOESN'T BELONG TO RELIGION YOU FUCKING MORON!!, as Ato said marriage was around long before Christianity. It was also around all over the world in various forms even with Christianity and still is today.
ie: Did you know homosexuality was actually encouraged in Tonga (or Samoa, I think maybe Samoa) because it was a way in which men could healthily engage in sexual activities without the downside of pregnancy.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 10:38 PM
(08-12-2012 09:50 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 09:05 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  wow...

Ok. I take it you're somewhere under the ripe old age of 25?

Got you pegged, Muffs. Big Grin

Yeah, earmuffs' selector switch gets stuck on full auto sometimes, but we don't know you well enough to hate you. Yet. Evil_monster

We hate YEC, cause it's yuck - Bible doesn't even support YEC. Dodgy

We hate "morals come from god," because it is ridiculous and unsupported.

And that's about all the "we" going on.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post