Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
08-12-2012, 10:44 PM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
(08-12-2012 10:38 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 09:50 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  Ok. I take it you're somewhere under the ripe old age of 25?

Got you pegged, Muffs. Big Grin

Yeah, earmuffs' selector switch gets stuck on full auto sometimes, but we don't know you well enough to hate you. Yet. Evil_monster

We hate YEC, cause it's yuck - Bible doesn't even support YEC. Dodgy

We hate "morals come from god," because it is ridiculous and unsupported.

And that's about all the "we" going on.
So what you are saying John is that you don't support gay marriage either and believe homosexuality is an "ungoldy abomination"?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't support any fucking marriage. And lemme look around at the examples of gay men around here... yep. Godless abominations about covers it. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:I don't support any fucking marriage.

Liar!

You cannot honestly look me in the eyes and tell me straight to my face that if your Gwynnies was to propose to you, you'd turn her down.

08-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Check and Mate. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
(08-12-2012 10:55 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:I don't support any fucking marriage.

Liar!

You cannot honestly look me in the eyes and tell me straight to my face that if your Gwynnies was to propose to you, you'd turn her down.
But she's already married. That's the shit I don't support. Angry

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2012, 11:13 PM
aaaaand hijacked again.

Oh well, the thread was practically abandoned by the OP anyway.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
(08-12-2012 11:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  aaaaand hijacked again.

Oh well, the thread was practically abandoned by the OP anyway.
No one's gonna answer your questions because we fucking hate you. Evil_monster

08-12-2012, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 11:41 PM by Free Thought.)
[Image: JGPm2.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
08-12-2012, 11:23 PM
(08-12-2012 06:08 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 11:42 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  You do realize that the first ever marriages were group marriages where guys CAN BE married to guys and so forth? Actually the first monogamous marriage was in Mesopotamia. It is quite logical to assume that monogamous marriage was EXTREMELY popular when the Genisis writer(s) (there were more than one) so they wrote it in as the normal state of marriage. Actually it is not hard to deduce that that's probably why the Yahwist created ONE MAN and ONE WOMAN. Also, children could be married to adults back then, are you saying that we should have left it that way? The current version of marriage has been revised so much that it does not even resemble what "traditional marriages" were.

How about you just say it fucking nice and clear, you don't want same-sex marriage. Not that you think marriage should be left alone, but you just don't want gays to marry.

My question(s) to you: How is same-sex marriage affecting you? Why do you have to deny gays to LEGALLY marry. Why not just allow them to get LEGALLY married, but not recognize them as a married couple SPIRITUALLY?

People deserve to be with whomever they want, granted that the partner is consenting and of age.

You are absolutely right. I do not believe that same-sex marriage is morally justified, because I believe it hijacks the very definition of marriage. Instead, from a purely libertarian viewpoint, if same-sex couples want unions (or whatever phrase needs to be used), then said folks can knock themselves out.

Same-sex marriage affects me because it impacts on the effects of societal foundation. While this is not to say that every situation of same-sex parents nor single-parent households are necessarily detrimental to society, I prefer to look towards those institutions that produce the least amount of harm as possible on society.

I think it's great that there's an obvious human history regarding marriages in different forms. However, I speak as a married individual as well as seeing plenty of personally-related examples of single-parent households and the like.

Clearly, based on your emotionally-charged response, we may have to agree to disagree for the time being on this issue.
Tell me, how exactly is same-sex marriage negatively impacting our society? How can it impact our society? First of all, who the hell are you to put same-sex marriage and single parent living conditions the same? What studies or even evidence do you have to promote this view that gays getting married is somehow detrimental to society? Do you have any peer-reviewed, credited paper that I must have missed out on?

I couldn't give two shits if you were married or not, the point is that monogamous marriage was never the original marriage. It was GROUP MARRIAGE. Seeing bad situations does not mean that those situations are common. That's like going to Africa and seeing the majority of the people starving and then making the judgement that The Majority of all people must be starving because your expierence within your country, state, city, or mother fucking street indicates. Absolutely crazy. Who cares what two CONSENTING and OF AGE people do to eachother. What right do you have to impose and prevent something of which both of the parties who ARE DIRECTLY involved agreed to and want.

How arrogant must you and your fellow brothers and sisters in "Christ" be that you have the right to stop love. Yes, it's love. Imagine it, the love they have for their partner, is the same, or greater (could be less as well though) to the love you feel towards your wife.

I hate the fact that you guys will not grant them "marriage", but you will gladly give them "union". Marriage, while it is just a word, holds a certain amount of significance in our society. It is seen as a great commitment. It is seen, sometimes, as a strong and passionate indicator of love. It has a meaning that some people want. Same-sex couples WANT to get MARRIED. The word has emotional meanings as well as a dictionary one.

Being emotional can be a good thing, it shows that you are willing to take issues to heart and do your best to try to fix them.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 5 users Like Atothetheist's post
09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
(08-12-2012 11:34 AM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 10:59 AM)morondog Wrote:  I have a friend who has almost this exact same position.

Based on your answers, would you
a. be friends with a gay man ?
b. support gay marriage ?
c. make homosexual acts illegal ?
d. make adultery illegal ?

Under what circumstances is abortion allowable? Rape, the life of the mother is threatened, for economic reasons, any other you can think of ? Under what circumstances is abortion a sin ? Under what circumstances would you think it's logical for it to be legal ?

I'm asking you nasty questions here... the kind that tend to get people riled if you give 'em an answer they don't like. I'd hope that you'd just say it like it is. I won't promise not to wail and gnash my teeth myself though... or at least to follow up with questions like 'why the hell would you think that ?' Wink

a. Yes, and am.
b. Nope.
c. Short answer: Marriage ought to remain as it has been for eons. Otherwise, let the States decide.
d. Can't. Adultery is a heck of a lot tougher to prove than is, say, sodomy.

On abortion, I'd split the difference and make it regulated/prescribed. As I mentioned in another post, if I had to make the decision between my wife's life or my unborn child's, I'd default to my wife every time. That should provide a slight window as to my view.
You seem to be saying that *if you could* you *would* make both homosexual acts and adultery illegal. How about sex before marriage ?

Do you think it's OK for you to make *laws* for other people about these things ? What if *my* religion says that adultery is the best way to honour God ?

On the gay marriage thing, are you aware that marriage is a legal definition ? All that supporters of gay marriage are asking for is that this definition extends to same sex unions. The definition carries with it significant legal benefits, including next of kin status for the spouse etc. It's unfair to deny these rights to a whole section of society purely based on a religious argument. It's also unfair not to call it marriage. You religious people do not own the word.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post