Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
07-12-2012, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 10:04 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
(07-12-2012 09:35 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:12 PM)Goat of Mendes Wrote:  2. The FAQ has shown me that the site owner has a very good sense of humor, in spite of his claim to being an atheist

wat

Heh. It was a not-so-veiled rhetorical threat that I don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist.

Briefly (this might be more fully covered elsewhere), in my view, to be an atheist is to say that one knows about the entire universe to say there is no God. Instead, I believe such individuals are actually agnostics - they simply don't know for a fact.
Wrong. Many of us are Igtheists. You can't provide a coherent definition of "god".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
To say one is a "Christian" one is making very specific claims about a man named "Yeshua bar Josef", (which were not originally made either by him or his first followers). To say that "there is no god seen *here* (in this locality, of this universe), but that whatever it is, *might* be somewhere *else* in either this universe, or apart from this universe says *god* exists ((which is a temporal (time requiring statement), and also a spatial statement)), both of which are absurd for a *god*.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-12-2012, 09:45 PM
You won't like it here, Christian. There's a lot of fucking swearing going in. And don't tell me I'm fucking agnostic, I'm a prophet, and you know what? God don't wanna exist to this buncha monkeys. Dodgy

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-12-2012, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 09:53 PM by Free Thought.)
(07-12-2012 09:12 PM)Goat of Mendes Wrote:  2. The FAQ has shown me that the site owner has a very good sense of humor, in spite of his claim to being an atheist

wat

Heh. It was a not-so-veiled rhetorical threat that I don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist.

Briefly (this might be more fully covered elsewhere), in my view, to be an atheist is to say that one knows about the entire universe to say there is no God. Instead, I believe such individuals are actually agnostics - they simply don't know for a fact.

This is a classic mistake that I have seen very often.

You are confusing the rarely (in my experiences) held position of a Strong Atheist, the position of which is "There is no theistic god." with the stance of Agnostic Atheism (which is generally just plain called Atheism), the stance of which is generally "There is no evidence to suggest a theistic god exists."

If I may, I feel this might clear up the mistake somewhat.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I have 5 questions I like to ask Christians when they come.

If you don't want to answer these, don't feel obligated.

1) Do you believe in the Doctrine of Free Will (Arminian) or the Doctrine of Election (Calvinist)?

2) What is your belief on Origins? Are you a Young Earth Creationist (YEC), Old Earth Creationist (OEC), Progressive Creationist (PC), Theistic Evolutionist (TE), or an Evolutionary Creationist (EC)?

3) What is your eschatological belief?

4) Do you believe the Bible is 100% literal?

5) Do you believe "inspired" equates to being literally inerrant?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
(07-12-2012 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:35 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  Heh. It was a not-so-veiled rhetorical threat that I don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist.

Wrong. Many of us are Igtheists. You can't provide a coherent definition of "god".

Thx for the link.

However, since I don't think that either one of us have ever personally met each other, I don't think you know me well enough to rationally conclude that I *cannot* provide a "coherent definition" of God. I'm capable of thinking a great many types of things and have yet to run into anything I'm incapable of reasonably understanding.

Whether or not the other party is equally capable or willing to suspend disbelief is another matter entirely.
07-12-2012, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 10:09 PM by Logisch.)
(07-12-2012 10:01 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  However, since I don't think that either one of us have ever personally met each other, I don't think you know me well enough to rationally conclude that I *cannot* provide a "coherent definition" of God.
Well then, feel free to provide one.
07-12-2012, 10:05 PM

wat

Atheist simply means one without a belief in God. It does not make a claim of knowledge.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post
07-12-2012, 10:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 10:20 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-12-2012 10:01 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Wrong. Many of us are Igtheists. You can't provide a coherent definition of "god".

Thx for the link.

However, since I don't think that either one of us have ever personally met each other, I don't think you know me well enough to rationally conclude that I *cannot* provide a "coherent definition" of God. I'm capable of thinking a great many types of things and have yet to run into anything I'm incapable of reasonably understanding.

Whether or not the other party is equally capable or willing to suspend disbelief is another matter entirely.

Well, as all the other Theists du jour, if you can, you will be the first. in human history. That's a bit arrogant, no ? You already said you were a "Christian".
That implies you make claims about a very specific god, (Yahweh, the Hebrew god of the armies). That god has been pretty thoroughly debunked around here.
One does not "suspend disbelief". One requires evidence. We are, (here), WAY beyond that phase of life. If you need to start back there, great.
There is no evidence for any god(s), least of all the Christian one. If you "suspend disbelief" then you are also busy proving there is no 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto. Good luck with that waste of time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Hmmmm, you seem like you will be a fairly interesting individual.

Welcome to the hornet's nest! I presume you have tough enough skin to resist the stinging, but hey, who ever had fun without a little bit of a thrill in their life? That being said, an honest manner of debate and character as well as polite discourse and a good sense of humor will net you huge respect on this board, regardless of how fundamentally split your worldview is from the rest of the forum. However, we don't take too kindly to dishonest tactics and abrasive attitudes, so we will see where you fall.

Again, welcome.

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
(07-12-2012 09:47 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 09:35 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  Heh. It was a not-so-veiled rhetorical threat that I don't believe there is any such thing as an atheist.

This is a classic mistake that I have seen very often.

You are confusing the rarely (in my experiences) held position of a Strong Atheist, the position of which is "There is no theistic god." with the stance of Agnostic Atheism (which is generally just plain called Atheism), the stance of which is generally "There is no evidence to suggest a theistic god exists."

If I may, I feel this might clear up the mistake somewhat.

Fantastic video. I just learned something new.