Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
Ah one of the videos from evid3nc3. His videos are fantastic. He has an entire series from theism to atheism (his entire deconversion).

(If anyone gets bored)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0C3C1D163BE880A
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
07-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I, as always, highly recommend the rest of Evid3nc3's series. If you found that informative, you'll likely learn something from the rest of them too.

*aww damn, I got beaten.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-12-2012, 10:19 PM
(07-12-2012 09:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You won't like it here, Christian. There's a lot of fucking swearing going in. And don't tell me I'm fucking agnostic, I'm a prophet, and you know what? God don't wanna exist to this buncha monkeys. Dodgy

Quit your assumptions.

I didn't say that you, personally, were (or are) agnostic.

And don't assume what a non-existent God may or may not intend to do. That might be just a touch anti-anthropomorphic on your part.

Smile
07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
(07-12-2012 09:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
Wrong. Many of us are Igtheists. You can't provide a coherent definition of "god".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
To say one is a "Christian" one is making very specific claims about a man named "Yeshua bar Josef", (which were not originally made either by him or his first followers). To say that "there is no god seen *here* (in this locality, of this universe), but that whatever it is, *might* be somewhere *else* in either this universe, or apart from this universe says *god* exists ((which is a temporal (time requiring statement), and also a spatial statement)), both of which are absurd for a *god*.

Wasn't it once absurd (by some in the not-too-distant past) to suggest that humans could fly or go to the moon?

I bet we could post a veritable portfolio of alleged absurdities that were later shown to be... less than absurd.
07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
(07-12-2012 10:03 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 10:01 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  However, since I don't think that either one of us have ever personally met each other, I don't think you know me well enough to rationally conclude that I *cannot* provide a "coherent definition" of God.
Well then, feel free to provide one.

But then that would spoil all the fun of this forum. Besides, I just showed up and am getting acquainted with how things go around here.
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 10:38 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-12-2012 10:24 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
Wrong. Many of us are Igtheists. You can't provide a coherent definition of "god".
To say one is a "Christian" one is making very specific claims about a man named "Yeshua bar Josef", (which were not originally made either by him or his first followers). To say that "there is no god seen *here* (in this locality, of this universe), but that whatever it is, *might* be somewhere *else* in either this universe, or apart from this universe says *god* exists ((which is a temporal (time requiring statement), and also a spatial statement)), both of which are absurd for a *god*.

Wasn't it once absurd (by some in the not-too-distant past) to suggest that humans could fly or go to the moon?

I bet we could post a veritable portfolio of alleged absurdities that were later shown to be... less than absurd.

Go for it. Don't forget the pink unicorns. There are better things to do than make ridiculous list of possibilities, for which there is no shred of evidence.
(You have not made a coherent definition, and provided any evidence).
And BTW, what's the (absent) god waiting for ? Oh that's right. She's a tricky one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
(07-12-2012 10:24 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  

Comparing things we cannot currently observe in any way shape or form with things we can observe within reality are two totally separate absurdities. We could observe birds fly, and while it seemed "absurd" we had a way to study them and understand fluid dynamics, aerodynamics and eventually learn to fly. Since you have yet to define a god... we cannot "observe" this being (assuming you propose a skydaddy, but we can only assume, since you have yet to define), so we're comparing the absurdity of something in observable reality with something that is.... undefined so far.

In this case, one could propose it may be absurd to believe in unicorns, but since we want to believe unicorns exist and maybe someday we can prove they exist, we should believe in the possibility of them. At least, that's where it sounds like this is leading.

You still have yet to define a god as per previous comments as to justify your stance, or where your stance even is. Otherwise, there's really no point to "discussing" things if things are not "clear" as to where the conversation stands. Otherwise we're going to be here all day talking semantics and philosophical meaning.
07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
(07-12-2012 10:27 PM)Phil_GA Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 10:03 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Well then, feel free to provide one.

But then that would spoil all the fun of this forum. Besides, I just showed up and am getting acquainted with how things go around here.
No spoiling the fun here.

This is how things go around here.
07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
*cough*

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
(07-12-2012 10:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  *cough*
*fondle*

You're fine. No lumps. Go about your business.
[+] 7 users Like Logisch's post