Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
07-12-2012, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 11:12 PM by Logisch.)
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
(07-12-2012 11:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, I'm assuming you opted out of my questions?

(edit) Pffffft fuck it. I'm gonna go drink a beer. This thread is boring now. But ^^^ This.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
(07-12-2012 09:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have 5 questions I like to ask Christians when they come.

If you don't want to answer these, don't feel obligated.

1) Do you believe in the Doctrine of Free Will (Arminian) or the Doctrine of Election (Calvinist)?

2) What is your belief on Origins? Are you a Young Earth Creationist (YEC), Old Earth Creationist (OEC), Progressive Creationist (PC), Theistic Evolutionist (TE), or an Evolutionary Creationist (EC)?

3) What is your eschatological belief?

4) Do you believe the Bible is 100% literal?

5) Do you believe "inspired" equates to being literally inerrant?

I wanted to save my responses to this until most others have been answered (thus far):

1. This is something I'm presently processing thru. I've historically attempted to balance out both, but I'm becoming hugely biased towards free will and less upon determinism.

2. Heh. Isn't that something? In my many years of IRC theo debate and otherwise great IRL discussions, I don't think I ever knew there were so many labels to consider! Short answer: Young Earth Creationist (I can hear the moans now...).

3. Short answer: I'm per-wrath Smile

4. No. That's literarily impossible (quasi pun quasi intended Smile )

5. Very, very short answer: Don't know/somewhat forget. I prefer "efficacious."
07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm surprised you could hear my groan.

The second I read that I almost felt like giving up immediately. I must be spending too much time around idiotic YECs... They are always predictable..

Though you seem to be a tad more rational and sane than most so maybe there is hope for you yet.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
07-12-2012, 11:22 PM
(07-12-2012 11:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
Well since I know more about the Bible than you ever will, that part is a waste of time.
I'm not really interested in a "debate". It's a settled issue. Hope you can find someone here who is interested.
There s no "rational" understanding of a "god'. You can't define it. There is no evidence for it. And your own (theological) system says faith is a "virtue", (St. Paul, a gift of your "Holy Spirit").
You have to suspend your reason, and make a "leap" (of faith). That is the most irrational thing possible, no matter what you claim.

The Christian god has the same traits as an abusive partner:
• you have to fear him to receive his love
• you are unworthy of his love
• you are nothing without him
• if you do not love him he will hurt you
• he doesn't want to punish you – it's really your fault
• he threatens you if he thinks you might break things off
• at all times he needs to know where you are, what you're doing and thinking so he can control your thoughts and behavior

Wow. Ok. You say you're not interested in a debate, this issue is settled for you, but then you go on and on describing things about God that I happen to know are not true about the Bible's God (big leap saying you know more about the Bible than I ever will -- I wonder if it's worth cataloging all the logical fallacies you just ran roughshod over in an apparent attempt to make (maybe) a rational point?).

I'm not here to convert you, and at the rate you're going, the inverse is also true. I'm here to discuss, which is apparently something that is almost antithetical to your purposes here.

Therefore: I agree to disagree.
07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
(07-12-2012 11:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'm surprised you could hear my groan.

The second I read that I almost felt like giving up immediately. I must be spending too much time around idiotic YECs... They are always predictable..

Though you seem to be a tad more rational and sane than most so maybe there is hope for you yet.

I've been called much worse Smile

The difference between me and The Others ™ is that I'm not afraid to say, "I don't know," but I'm also not afraid to question stuff.

I'm also not afraid to stand by a certain belief if, in good faith (!), I've thus far found it to be true.
[+] 1 user Likes Phil_GA's post
07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
1) How can you balance both? It's impossible for them to coexist.

2) *groan*

3) Good ole dispensationalist, eh? All right then... would you please show the scripture evidence for the rapture?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
The willingness to stand by a belief that is true is an admirable trait. But what exactly do you mean by "in good faith", also taking into account your stated YEC beliefs, how are you sure what beliefs of yours are true? (I.E how do you verify your assumptions?)

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
07-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure why some people are already writing him off as a waste of time. I'm getting a much better vibe from him attitude wise than I do from most people who are YEC.

Seriously guys, if we are going to be hornets we need to at least give him the chance to be stung. Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
(07-12-2012 11:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm not sure why some people are already writing him off as a waste of time. I'm getting a much better vibe from him attitude wise than I do from most people who are YEC.

Seriously guys, if we are going to be hornets we need to at least give him the chance to be stung. Big Grin
Why do you think I'm sticking around?

Or at least I will for a little while.

07-12-2012, 11:41 PM
(07-12-2012 11:40 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 11:38 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I'm not sure why some people are already writing him off as a waste of time. I'm getting a much better vibe from him attitude wise than I do from most people who are YEC.

Why do you think I'm sticking around?

Or at least I will for a little while.
That wasn't aimed at you.

[Image: giphy.gif]