Intro -- from a Christian :)

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
08-12-2012, 02:02 AM
RE: Intro -- from a Christian :)
(08-12-2012 02:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 01:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Good thing that link is broken. I was just thinking about my wife naked.
Damn it!
I thought Erx was supposed to be the insomniac...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Intro -- from a Christian :)
(08-12-2012 02:02 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 02:00 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Damn it!
I thought Erx was supposed to be the insomniac...

The kid worships me, what can I say?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
08-12-2012, 02:29 AM
(08-12-2012 02:01 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 01:59 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Damn, derail central up in this bitch.

Hi, my name is Bob, I am a cheeseburger.

Discuss.

I could go for a Double Double right now. Too bad I don't live in Cali Anymore. Weeping
I always go and ask for one. A double vegie with no bun. They look at me like "WTF ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

08-12-2012, 02:32 AM
(08-12-2012 01:59 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Damn, derail central up in this bitch.

Hi, my name is Bob, I am a cheeseburger.

Discuss.
This topic had Bucky, Erxy, Free Thought, Muffsybooboo, and me posting in it... it was inevitable... derailment was imminent.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Since when was I associated with derailment?!?!

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
08-12-2012, 03:22 AM
Is it that time already?

So much for 2weeks... ahh well.

[Image: brunnoh-the-boxer-upside-down-dog-420x315.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Hello Phil, welcome to TTA.

I've got a couple questions for you.

Regarding YEC
(01.) Have you ever looked at the scientific evidence that supports the theory that both the Earth and the universe are billions of years old?
(02.) What scientific evidence do you have for the YEC hypothesis that the Earth and the universe are merely 6.000-10.000 years old?
(03.) What is your solution to the starlight problem?

Regarding your belief in god
(04.) What scientific evidence do you have to support the hypothesis that the Christian god Yahweh exists?
(05.) When and why did you start believing in god in the first place?
(06.) Why don't you believe in the existence of any other gods, such as the Islamic god Allah?

Regarding the Bible
(07.) How do you rationalize the numerous internal contradictions that can be found in the Bible?
(08.) What evidence do you have to support the hypothesis that Jesus resurrected three days after his crucifixion?
(09.) How do you rationalize the contradicting accounts of the New Testament events described in the four gospels?
(10.) Do you think the Bible is inerrant or inspired?

I recommend you to watch at least these two parts of the debate between YEC Kent Hovind and OEC Dr. Hugh Ross. If you want to watch the whole thing, just say so and I'll post the link.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
08-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Welcome Smile

Putting the fun in fundamentalist eh ?

Since you self identify as a fundamentalist, could you state your position on
a. homosexuality
b. abortion
c. ... um... elbows

? (ninja edit to add question mark)...

feel free to supply reasons if you so desire Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-12-2012, 07:19 AM
(07-12-2012 11:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) How can you balance both? It's impossible for them to coexist.

2) *groan*

3) Good ole dispensationalist, eh? All right then... would you please show the scripture evidence for the rapture?

1. It depends. Humans are teleologically-based beings. Therefore, in simplest terms, one could theoretically make a case for a certain amount of predestination that way. Also: it's similarly possible since God is super-natural and therefore exists outside of matter/energy, he's capable of observing all things outside of time at the same time. Like I said, I'm still working thru that issue.

2. My response *always* (without fail) produces that kind of a response even, interestingly, from some fellow believers. I suppose if I were weak-willed, I'd give a crap beyond respecting disagreement.

3. I'd have to take the time to look it up, and I'm momentarily lazy on that (plus that deserves a whole other discussion). In short, I believe the actual Greek word shows up in 2 Thessalonians (is it?), where it represents a sucking force. I remember it so well because I loved telling folks that sometimes God sucked, and I had scripture to back it up Smile

Again, this is an intro thread; maybe over time we can hit this stuff in more detail.
08-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Phil_GA, as you can see.... once the YEC bomb is dropped, most people won't take you seriously. No one here likes YEC because to adopt YEC and a young universe no one has yet to explain anything rational without ignoring all of adopted cosmology and science (and that's very absurd).

For instance... if you can go snag a telescope and faintly see andromeda (we're talking a telescope you can buy as a hobbyist, not the hubble), the light from andromeda is approximately 2.5 million light years away. It took the medium of that light (photons) 2.5 million years (and probably then some) to travel this far out. How does one "explain that away" as a YEC?

How does one explain away all of geology that has adopted dating techniques that use not just one but multiple different radiometric dating?

How does one explain away the big bang? (At least, I have yet to meet a YEC that agrees with it, since most YEC types seem to get their age of the universe from "the age of the bible").

The derailment was definitely inevitable but I will attempt to "get it back on the rails" if the rest of the crew is willing to be serious. After all, you at least bothered to entertain some of the questions. But as you can see, if people are unwilling to discuss seriously, or omit things, or just even give a hint of intellectual dishonesty... you'll be ignored, or derailed constantly. Many of us won't do this (I try not to, sometimes I'm guilty) but it's hard to take people seriously when they ignore constant questions and feel like they "need to size things up" as if somehow they feel like there is going to be something worthy of sizing up.

People ask questions, people answer, we discuss. Poo is flung. People discuss the poo. People disagree. Or agree to disagree. But if you cannot back these things up, if you're unwilling to discuss, then why bother coming here? Tossing out the "Hey I'm a christian and on most forums i'm pretty much the shit" is pretty good bait for "Hey come debate me." so don't expect at all in any way shape or form to "have a break" if you post. People will bombard you will questions until you cough it up.

Not being an ass. Just being blunt.
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post