Introduce Yourself HERE!

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 5 Average
01-11-2010, 02:20 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(31-10-2010 10:39 PM)chente922 Wrote:  Also, I want to apologize for any spelling or grammar errors in my posts since English isn't my primary language.

Your English is better than many who people who have it as a first language. No spelling errors yet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
(31-10-2010 10:39 PM)chente922 Wrote:  Also, I want to apologize for any spelling or grammar errors in my posts since English isn't my primary language.

No major errors. You're more understandable than some of the native English speakers I've seen on forums. If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have realized it. Tongue

One thing, though. Since English isn't your first language, I assume you're looking for a little constructive criticism so that you can learn the little intricacies. English is tricky. Anyway, "Catholic" is always capitalized. That was the only error that I noticed in your post.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
(01-11-2010 10:32 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

No major errors. You're more understandable than some of the native English speakers I've seen on forums. If you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have realized it. Tongue

One thing, though. Since English isn't your first language, I assume you're looking for a little constructive criticism so that you can learn the little intricacies. English is tricky. Anyway, "Catholic" is always capitalized. That was the only error that I noticed in your post.

Just an interesting side note to that...you may notice some people with excellent grammer do not capitalize some words. It may be intentional. You'll notice, I never capitalize god, catholic, christian, and many other words that should be according to proper grammar. I guess it's sort of a subtle statement. I don't suspect many people notice until it's brought to their attention. Just thought I'd mention it.

Just visiting.

-SR
01-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I first thought that the name God is capitalized to somehow ''show honor'' to the christian God, untill I figured out that it's capitalized because God is the name of the christian god.

Quote:"Catholic" is always capitalized.
This is new to me, and it made me read a little about capitalization in English. So not only names and countries are capitalized, but also days, weeks, months, nationalities and languages. But what I'm wondering is: in what category of capitalization do words like 'Christian' and 'Catholic' fall into? They seem like adjectives, but they also seem like ''a member of a certain group'' words (like nationalities). So if refered to as an adjective, should 'catholic' still be capitalized?

Anyways, it still beats German.Smile

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
(01-11-2010 02:37 PM)Kikko Wrote:  I first thought that the name God is capitalized to somehow ''show honor'' to the christian God, untill I figured out that it's capitalized because God is the name of the christian god.

Yep. I don't normally capitalize "god" when it refers to gods in general, but "God" happens to be the name of the Christian god, so it's capitalized.

Quote:
Quote:"Catholic" is always capitalized.
This is new to me, and it made me read a little about capitalization in English. So not only names and countries are capitalized, but also days, weeks, months, nationalities and languages.

Yep. Except the "weeks" bit. What weeks are capitalized?

Quote:But what I'm wondering is: in what category of capitalization do words like 'Christian' and 'Catholic' fall into? They seem like adjectives, but they also seem like ''a member of a certain group'' words (like nationalities). So if refered to as an adjective, should 'catholic' still be capitalized?

Yes. "A member of a certain group" words are adjectives, but it doesn't matter. Catholic is just always capitalized. Don't ask me why. I don't know all the grammar rules. I just know that they're always capitalized.

Quote:Anyways, it still beats German.Smile

I wouldn't know. I tried to learn Spanish a few years back and failed miserably. Other people can speak foreign languages if they want - English is good enough for me. I can always rely on Google Translate if I'm in need.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I don't capatalize god or christianity because I don't think they deserve to be capitalized. To me it is a way to show that no respect is intended.
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:Yep. Except the "weeks" bit. What weeks are capitalized?
My bad, it was supposed to be ''the names of the days of a week''. I dunno how it slipped, I read it twice before posting. :F

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
12-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Hi, I'm Steve I'm a 30 year old skeptic atheist and I am looking for to interacting and sharing views with other like minded people.
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Hi There.

My name is Stephen. I've been an athiest for the past 20 or so years. Before that I was a skeptical agnostic.

Good to be here. Smile
13-11-2010, 02:36 PM

(13-11-2010 01:19 PM)steph Wrote:  Hi There.

My name is Stephen. I've been an athiest for the past 20 or so years. Before that I was a skeptical agnostic.

Good to be here. Smile
Welcome Steve and Steph. And to all the newbies I might have missed sending a warm, HELLO! Smile