Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thanks, FSM_scot!

I think what I've been looking for is places that I can actually openly discuss what I believe (or what I don't believe) without screwing up my entire life. This forum seems like such a place.

I think I'm also looking less for insight into how to make my current situation better (most people just look at my predicament and say, "That sucks," but can't really offer more than that), and more for a source of support when someday my secret gets out and my whole life becomes a living hell for an indeterminate period of time. I don't know when that will happen, or exactly how it will all go down, but I know it probably won't be pretty. I've read the accounts of several other people that have finally told their spouses about their loss of faith, and it tends to get... ugly.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Hey all and welcome. Glad to see new faces here. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Hello....

I am new to this forum.... I am 34 years old... i live in the netherlands...

My parents are religious... Catholic... they went to church 2 times a week ... and as a kid they dragged me along ...
But to me, church was the biggest BS i ever heard .... so i started to talk to my parents about it that i dont agree with religion and that i didnt want to go anymore...

When i was 10 i told my parents... you can hit me... you can try to drag me along... but im NOT going to church anymore...

Luckily for me my parents are very friendly and they accepted my opinion...

I took the church ban pretty far btw.... My sister got married in church... I only went to the reception afterwards...

With kind regards,
Marco

- If you want to play god and call yourself Apollo, that's your business, but you're no god to us, Mister.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3X5f3gY4iw
05-01-2012, 05:58 AM
Hello, everyone! My name is Kirill, I live in Russia. I'm kind of an atheist or agnostic, hard to say. I also happen to be gay, with an American boyfriend who recently found his own faith after having a prophetical revelation.

In Russia most of the people are not believers, it is not like in the US where faith means so much to so many people, so it is not a problem here, no one would ever do me any harm or say anything bad just because I do not believe. Decades of godless communist rule did that to people: we do not see atheism as something horrible and wretched.

However, my boyfriend was born in the South of the US and raised as a Catholic. When it became obvious that he was gay his parents disowned him and pretty much kicked him out of the house. He lost his faith as he realized that it is in his nature to be gay and there is nothing wrong with it. For many years he just saw himself as a spiritual person, but not one that believes in god. Things have changed after his father's death — the father's soul came to him and told him about the wonders of the afterlife, and he began having all these prophetic visions ever since (a couple of months ago).

So, now I have to deal with this somehow. He doesn't demand of me to convert into his faith (which is nothing like any religion there is), but I do feel more disconnected from him since I never did have such a revelation and I cannot say if he really had a spiritual experience that came directly from higher power, or he is just going insane. It frightens me and makes me uncomfortable. I want to be able to share in his deep held beliefs, but I cannot betray my integrity and lie to myself that I believe what he believes.

Does anyone have anything to say about that?
05-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Greetings everyone. I am Megaman03 (Why would you want to know my real name? Tongue) and I'm from the sunny, tropical land of Malaysia. I have been an Atheist for the past three years of my life. While I was raised a Christian for much of my life, I never really bought into it and have always been sceptical of it's claims. However, at that time, I didn't know that one could lack belief in deities and only continued the motions despite it feeling empty and devoid of meaning. I began looking up and researching bible stories and claims that I once accepted on face value as true. I began shunning apologetic garbage and went on a quest to discover the truth. The straw that ultimately broke the camel's back was the immense suffering I see how a few people can have all the wealth and power and take away everything from the poor and downtrodden.

Needless to say, my parents weren't too happy when I "came out", so to speak. Fortunately, they have since accepted my non-belief (Though they still want me to go to their church for some reason).

Any questions?
05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
(05-01-2012 05:58 AM)K!r!lleXXI Wrote:  Hello, everyone! My name is Kirill, I live in Russia. I'm kind of an atheist or agnostic, hard to say. I also happen to be gay, with an American boyfriend who recently found his own faith after having a prophetical revelation.

In Russia most of the people are not believers, it is not like in the US where faith means so much to so many people, so it is not a problem here, no one would ever do me any harm or say anything bad just because I do not believe. Decades of godless communist rule did that to people: we do not see atheism as something horrible and wretched.

However, my boyfriend was born in the South of the US and raised as a Catholic. When it became obvious that he was gay his parents disowned him and pretty much kicked him out of the house. He lost his faith as he realized that it is in his nature to be gay and there is nothing wrong with it. For many years he just saw himself as a spiritual person, but not one that believes in god. Things have changed after his father's death — the father's soul came to him and told him about the wonders of the afterlife, and he began having all these prophetic visions ever since (a couple of months ago).

So, now I have to deal with this somehow. He doesn't demand of me to convert into his faith (which is nothing like any religion there is), but I do feel more disconnected from him since I never did have such a revelation and I cannot say if he really had a spiritual experience that came directly from higher power, or he is just going insane. It frightens me and makes me uncomfortable. I want to be able to share in his deep held beliefs, but I cannot betray my integrity and lie to myself that I believe what he believes.

Does anyone have anything to say about that?

Welcome to the forum. Are you living in the US with him or in Russia?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
05-01-2012, 11:13 AM
(05-01-2012 11:03 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Are you living in the US with him or in Russia?

Thank you, I've been a fan of Seth's YouTube channel and radio podcast for almost a year now, I even called one of his shows back in the summer. I live in Russia right now, I was denied a visa to the US twice (tourist and student visas), but my boyfriend Tony was able to visit me for three months in Russia. Now we live in our respective countries.
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
(05-01-2012 11:13 AM)K!r!lleXXI Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 11:03 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. Are you living in the US with him or in Russia?

Thank you, I've been a fan of Seth's YouTube channel and radio podcast for almost a year now, I even called one of his shows back in the summer. I live in Russia right now, I was denied a visa to the US twice (tourist and student visas), but my boyfriend Tony was able to visit me for three months in Russia. Now we live in our respective countries.

Long distance is tough enough without ideological differences. I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess it depends on how much his family influences him. I'm sure that he wont' up and turn straight or decide that he is a sinner. He's gay so he understands the nature of his sexuality and likely wouldn't bail on you just because of an emotional event. I hope.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
(05-01-2012 11:18 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Long distance is tough enough without ideological differences. I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess it depends on how much his family influences him. I'm sure that he wont' up and turn straight or decide that he is a sinner. He's gay so he understands the nature of his sexuality and likely wouldn't bail on you just because of an emotional event. I hope.

Oh, far from it! His family has nothing to do with his spiritual awakening, they gave up on him long ago. He says that his father after dying came to Tony and explained how he was wrong abandoning him and that his sexuality is just as normal and natural to god as any other. He also reportedly told Tony that his choice is right: that Russian boy Kirill (i.e. me) is his true love, and we will be together one day. So Tony has no intentions on leaving me, he believes we are kindred spirits and our love will overcome everything. This is not my concern. I just don't know how to deal with his religious experiences, I'm afraid he might be going crazy, that's what I would like to figure out in order to get help for him if that is what's going on. And if not, I hope to understand him better and have similar experiences that will let me have that faith without giving up on my integrity and dedication to reason and evidence.
05-01-2012, 12:11 PM
(05-01-2012 11:31 AM)K!r!lleXXI Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 11:18 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Long distance is tough enough without ideological differences. I'm not sure what to tell you. I guess it depends on how much his family influences him. I'm sure that he wont' up and turn straight or decide that he is a sinner. He's gay so he understands the nature of his sexuality and likely wouldn't bail on you just because of an emotional event. I hope.

Oh, far from it! His family has nothing to do with his spiritual awakening, they gave up on him long ago. He says that his father after dying came to Tony and explained how he was wrong abandoning him and that his sexuality is just as normal and natural to god as any other. He also reportedly told Tony that his choice is right: that Russian boy Kirill (i.e. me) is his true love, and we will be together one day. So Tony has no intentions on leaving me, he believes we are kindred spirits and our love will overcome everything. This is not my concern. I just don't know how to deal with his religious experiences, I'm afraid he might be going crazy, that's what I would like to figure out in order to get help for him if that is what's going on. And if not, I hope to understand him better and have similar experiences that will let me have that faith without giving up on my integrity and dedication to reason and evidence.

I say let him have his experience. If you feel it won't affect the relationship negatively then perhaps just let him be religious. I can tell you that if he feels strongly enough about it you will probalby only make him resent you if you oppose it. Maybe give it some time to play out, the grief to wear off, and you will probably be back to normal.

-Mark Twain
Thread Closed