Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm a new member in TTA. I'm glad to be here. It's been a journey. I'm a 30 year old who just decided about 3 months ago that I no longer believe. I grew up in a fundy family and married into one as well. I was one myself for most of my life. Preaching, teaching, disciplining, and evangelizing was my passion since I was about 16. I was committed to the cause of Christ. Imagine my surprise when I realized that not only was I following a lie, but that I had been reinforcing this lie with many people that I love. I sort of feel like I discieved them in a way. Anyway this has been "hell" on my marriage. My wife does not want a divorce since we have two little girls but the relationship has turned very cold. We're seeing a counselor (Christian ironically) to help us through things. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say "howdy" from Texas.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Steveaggie04's post
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
(05-01-2012 12:11 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I say let him have his experience. If you feel it won't affect the relationship negatively then perhaps just let him be religious. I can tell you that if he feels strongly enough about it you will probalby only make him resent you if you oppose it. Maybe give it some time to play out, the grief to wear off, and you will probably be back to normal.

Pretty much what I was going to do: wait and see where it leads him. He already started preparing for the End of the Days, which, he's sure, is going to happen in our lifetime. I'm just fearful about some of his financial decision, he may lose everything just because his newfound faith is telling him to give all the money to the needy. On the other hand, it is not my money, so it's not my choice to make. I hope he won't do stupid things and won't be telling me then that I was supposed to stop him. "God knows" I'm trying to make sense of all this and be prepared and am skeptical enough not to fall into any pit there is. Thank you for listening.
[+] 1 user Likes K!r!lleXXI's post
05-01-2012, 12:33 PM
(05-01-2012 12:17 PM)K!r!lleXXI Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 12:11 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I say let him have his experience. If you feel it won't affect the relationship negatively then perhaps just let him be religious. I can tell you that if he feels strongly enough about it you will probalby only make him resent you if you oppose it. Maybe give it some time to play out, the grief to wear off, and you will probably be back to normal.

Pretty much what I was going to do: wait and see where it leads him. He already started preparing for the End of the Days, which, he's sure, is going to happen in our lifetime. I'm just fearful about some of his financial decision, he may lose everything just because his newfound faith is telling him to give all the money to the needy. On the other hand, it is not my money, so it's not my choice to make. I hope he won't do stupid things and won't be telling me then that I was supposed to stop him. "God knows" I'm trying to make sense of all this and be prepared and am skeptical enough not to fall into any pit there is. Thank you for listening.

Didn't realize it was that serious already. Sounds to me like he's gone off the deep end. I can't imagine a sane rational gay atheist all of a sudden preparing for the Rapture. I guess his father's death really hit him hard. Have you talked to him about or are you avoiding the topic?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Hello, greetings and salutations!

For those of you not familiar with me, I'm Hellbound Alleee.

I've been haunting the interwebs since about 1999, with various atheistic ramblings and podcasts.

I have a little music-centered atheist podcast called "Mondo Diablo" over at http://mondodiablo.wordpress.com , so if you're interested, check it out. If not, I'm glad to meet you.

I'll save the signature and stuff until I get to know the mood of this discussion forum.
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
(05-01-2012 12:14 PM)Steveaggie04 Wrote:  I'm a new member in TTA. I'm glad to be here. It's been a journey. I'm a 30 year old who just decided about 3 months ago that I no longer believe. I grew up in a fundy family and married into one as well. I was one myself for most of my life. Preaching, teaching, disciplining, and evangelizing was my passion since I was about 16. I was committed to the cause of Christ. Imagine my surprise when I realized that not only was I following a lie, but that I had been reinforcing this lie with many people that I love. I sort of feel like I discieved them in a way. Anyway this has been "hell" on my marriage. My wife does not want a divorce since we have two little girls but the relationship has turned very cold. We're seeing a counselor (Christian ironically) to help us through things. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say "howdy" from Texas.

Hectic story Steveaggie04. Hope things work out for you. The relationship turning cold is horrible Sad
05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi im jatime
hi im jatime, im an autistic agnostic atheist with ADD. (there's a long story about my autism that i wont share or this post will double in size)
Considering my inborn autism its only natural to me that i became an atheist(some may differ on that, but i dont).
My parents being religious took me to church until i was 12. not long after i turned 12 my parent gave me the choice of going with them, i did go with them for a short time after that but that stopped very rapidly.
Ever since that day ive been called an atheist by my parents and i simply did not care.
That lasted until someone at school told me what agnosticism was, not long after that my curiosity was sparked by what it truly was and started my research(slow but steady).
And now im here trying my luck at finding nice people and lots of information to satisfy my regular taste for knowledge.

I hope we will get along and always if there are questions ASK and i will reply when ive got the time.
05-01-2012, 05:43 PM
(05-01-2012 12:14 PM)Steveaggie04 Wrote:  Anyway this has been "hell" on my marriage. My wife does not want a divorce since we have two little girls but the relationship has turned very cold. We're seeing a counselor (Christian ironically) to help us through things. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say "howdy" from Texas.

The situation you're in now is the one I'm afraid will happen to me when my wife finally finds out I don't believe anymore. I'm putting it off until I can figure out how to do it more on my own terms. I don't envy you. I can say that there is no way that I will ever see a Christian counselor to try to help my marriage. I'd rather get counsel from my cats, because they have more sense.

Welcome to the forum from another TTA newbie!
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Hello my name is Mike. I am an Atheist born and raised in Minnesota now living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains in North Carolina.
05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
(05-01-2012 05:43 PM)Trapped Pentecostal Wrote:  
(05-01-2012 12:14 PM)Steveaggie04 Wrote:  Anyway this has been "hell" on my marriage. My wife does not want a divorce since we have two little girls but the relationship has turned very cold. We're seeing a counselor (Christian ironically) to help us through things. Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say "howdy" from Texas.

The situation you're in now is the one I'm afraid will happen to me when my wife finally finds out I don't believe anymore. I'm putting it off until I can figure out how to do it more on my own terms. I don't envy you. I can say that there is no way that I will ever see a Christian counselor to try to help my marriage. I'd rather get counsel from my cats, because they have more sense.

Welcome to the forum from another TTA newbie!

Hey Trapped, I think I heard Seth read your email on the last podcast. I wanted to let you know that while it was terrifying to have to tell me wife whose dream was to raise two kids in a Christian household being led spiritually by me that I no longer believe, I can say that my life has gotten better. I don't have to pretend anymore. I can see that it's getting better between us but it's going to take time. We're going to a Christian counsellor because it's someone she feels comfortable with. He knows where I stand and is respectful enough to leave God and religion out of the discussion for the most part. He did something in the last session that actually helped a lot. He told her she needs to pray to god and ask him to give her a love for me again. Of course since she still believes, this has helped her cope with the situation and she's able to see it a little bit as a testing of her faith. We have been able to have some reasonable conversations where she asked some good questions about my doubt. I'd like to think that one day she might come around but right now I'd settle for getting our relationship back to some form of normal. Just know that there is hope and if you do choose to come out it will suck very bad for a while but in my case it seems to get better day by day. And if it makes you feel any better, I'm not sure I would have come out so soon except that I had gotten myself into leadership positions in the church that I needed to get out of and the only way I could see getting out was to tell everyone that I don't believe anymore. I haven't told my folks and don't know if I will. I also am not saying anything about my unbelief at work since I'm pretty sure it would land me in the basement of opportunity in my career with the company I work for. Sad but true.
[+] 2 users Like Steveaggie04's post
05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
RE: Hi im jatime
(05-01-2012 05:35 PM)jatime Wrote:  hi im jatime,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Thread Closed