Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Well I may as well say who I am also. I am 54 years old and half Spanish and half Cuban. I live in Ohio on a farm. Our family was not well received in the area. Many times I would worry about the KKK burning a cross in our lawn. My father was really made hell on earth by the red necks. We were called spic or wet back on a regular daily biases. Then we were raised Catholic and that was even more disliked. We did get through it and I am fine. I am a atheist so no worries about me being a troll. I don't understand why a Christian would want to be on this site anyway, Or a Muslim as to a post I have made. Their both living a lie and believe mythology. It's the same as believing in the Easter bunny. It's just silly and don't hold up to reality. I hope my views are not to harsh or just turn the page.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2012, 07:09 AM
Hey Guys,

I am a bran new reborn athirst. Smile (3 to 4 weeks now)

I am from South Africa and the only athirst I know. I am 29 years old and married. (To a wonderful christian woman)

Just wanted to say thanks for the work you have done. I always knew something was wrong with my believes but never knew there was ppl like you guys. The internet saved my live, thanks

FleX

[Image: funny-gifs-preachers-gonna-preach.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FleX's post
06-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey all....

I'm a 28 year old Father of two, truck driver and volunteer firefighter.

I know for sure, I've been a Atheist for a few years now. Not too sure when I finally decided that I'm Atheist. I never put too much thought into religion. My parents nor my grandparents never attend church. I never had that aspect shoved down my throat like a lot of you. I attended church when I was in middle school through high school. High school, I was dating a religious chick....so I just wanted some action....

Religion has never been my thing, my entire life. I "tried it on" but could never come to believe the crap they told me. I considered myself agnostic for the longest time....throughout high school and just afterwards.

Over the last couple years, I started really putting a lot of thought to figure out where I stand. I felt like I had to label myself somehow. That's when I came to terms that I am indeed an Atheist.

Not an outspoken Atheist. My wife and close friends know I am. Family, well we don't talk about it. If someone asks me, I tell them I am. If someone tries to convert me, I call bullshit or just nod my head to avoid confrontation.

I'm kinda a closet Atheist. I don't have any Atheist friends or know any Atheist people, which sucks.... Most my friends, and my wife, believe there is a god but don't practice religion (thankfully). F-ing Christians preach "acceptance" and all that bull, but they are the first to judge us in how we stand in life. Then you have the "apologists"....the Christians who troll these forums and apologize for all Christians to make them look all fine and dandy....but that's all for another forum topic! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes excessivejay's post
06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey everybody. I was interested to join the forum from a recent TTA podcast discussing "closeted atheists" - thinking those who approach atheism like I do should speak up too. I'm not "in the closet"-but nobody asks, nobody in my social sphere cares anymore so the subject is never raised.

I'm a grandma now and have never been a believer, nor "passed" as one. I went to Sunday school a handful of times as a child but all I recall of it were ordinary kid activities like colorbooks and story time. Jesus was hyped but I didn't get it. He was like bizarre mascot with the robes, long hair and pallid expression on his face-what with all the concern showered on him I concluded that he was some guy who must be very sick with cancer or something. When I was in middle school I got hooked on the prefaces in George Bernard Shaw plays, of all things, and they really sparked my curiosity about the Bible-which I approached as a debunker would do. Later, when I was in high school, the "born again" movement swept through my school, and I watched my friends (who were all religious, but benign up to that point) get caught up in a very cultish religious mania-and I was very confrontational with them then. But I outgrew the urge to deconvert everybody after awhile. So for most of my life I'm content with debating the issues themselves rather than religion/atheism. Since not all religious people are atheist haters, creationists, theocrats and homophobes etc., I care more about what side they're on in issues rather than whether or not they believe in God(s).

These days I see symptoms of a similar kind of cultish fervor popping up in the atheist community as I saw sweep through the religious communities when I was in HS. Case in point: the letter from the "closeted atheist" that Seth read and the backlash coming from some of the more firebrandish atheists out there. Sheesh! So are we to bully closeted atheists into throwing everything to the side, even their own families, as part of this new holy war?! It bugged me so much I registered. So hi!
[+] 2 users Like Euripides's post
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm new to the forum and have been an Atheist for the past couple of years. I've never been religious, only went to church occasionally as a child and was raised non-religious for most all of my life. My parents consciously or unconsciously allowed us to make our own way in life, make our own decisions and to use our own brains to figure out any questions we might have about life. For that I thank them.

To thy own self be true and in seeking truth, you shall happiness or frustration - your choice.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
(06-01-2012 07:09 AM)FleX Wrote:  Hey Guys,

I am a bran new reborn athirst. Smile (3 to 4 weeks now)

I am from South Africa and the only athirst I know. I am 29 years old and married. (To a wonderful christian woman)

Just wanted to say thanks for the work you have done. I always knew something was wrong with my believes but never knew there was ppl like you guys. The internet saved my live, thanks

FleX

Hey FleX Smile Yay for another South African (I'm Zimbo but I've been in SA for a while).
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-01-2012, 02:32 PM
(04-01-2012 08:15 PM)Trapped Pentecostal Wrote:  Hello, I'm Trapped Pentecostal!

Yes, I'm the same Trapped Pentecostal who wrote the letter that Seth shared on his show "Help! I'm A Closet Atheist" that aired tonight.

I fell away from the Christian faith a couple of years ago, and now I'm wondering how I'll ever be able to tell my wife and her family (all of whom are devout Christians) that I don't believe in God anymore.

About me: I've worked most of my career as a graphic designer, I now currently manage a small art department, and I've always had a keen interest in science (especially astronomy).

Glad you made it man!
You're in a touchy spot for sure.
Just go slowly and use reason to move those around you closer to your (our) position.
That isn't easy, but try poking around with the wacky notion of Noah and then maybe move onto some other wackiness and see if you can make progress.
It worked on you apparently at some point and it can work on loved ones as well.
Who knows? It may even have a very happy ending.
I understand that only you know what is right for you and those around you.
I certainly do not, but am confident you will come out ahead in the long run.
You have already taken the first major steps.
ALL THE BEST to you sir.
Sincerely,
Tom
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-01-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm 27 african american male. Every kind of geek in existence is my description. I am a chef that works at Sandals Resort in Montego Bay.

I eluded the constructs of the religious family I grew up on. I was a different child who was forced to go to church thereafter i grew up explored several religions none sat with me and i realized confining my self to a set of doctrines set up by a relic of imaginary or at the very least lack of proof is nothing to inhibit the one life i posess. religion doesnt inhibit my ability to be good person but im human i will not base my actions of fault and true to be subject to super natural understandings just because i don't understand the complexities of the paths my life lays out for me.

lol. i wrote too much but yeh its great to get a lot of that off my chest. im a openly and proud atheist but i choose to avoid conflict about what i believe unless directly asked by someone i do not know. anyway later
07-01-2012, 04:18 AM
I am a 29 year old atheist from Canada.

I believe more in a zombie apocalypse than I do in the rapture. Mostly because they look like more fun.
07-01-2012, 06:46 AM
(06-01-2012 02:32 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Glad you made it man!
You're in a touchy spot for sure.
Just go slowly and use reason to move those around you closer to your (our) position.
That isn't easy, but try poking around with the wacky notion of Noah and then maybe move onto some other wackiness and see if you can make progress.
It worked on you apparently at some point and it can work on loved ones as well.
Who knows? It may even have a very happy ending.
I understand that only you know what is right for you and those around you.
I certainly do not, but am confident you will come out ahead in the long run.
You have already taken the first major steps.
ALL THE BEST to you sir.
Sincerely,
Tom

Thanks, Tom.

Unfortunately, I think I was always on the edge of becoming an atheist. I always had to struggle to keep my belief, and forcefully push doubts out of my mind. I also always asked way too many tough questions that got Christians angry or offended, and always favored logic and reason over the silly Christian arguments.

My in-laws, on the other hand, are exactly the opposite. I don't see any of them waver in the slightest, or give any indication that they could even accept me as an unbeliever, let alone become unbelievers themselves. If I were to try to bring up the silliness of the story of Noah, their only answer would be, "You don't think that God could have done whatever he wants? He's God!" These people take all of this stuff absolutely literally.

I only have one relative on my wife's side of the family that might be able to at least understand what I'm thinking. My twenty two year old nephew, who is the worship leader at my father in-law's church, is pretty rational, and seems disgusted by a lot of what goes on at the church (such as people getting attention for themselves by delivering "prophecies" or special "words from the Lord." I have also made a few comments to him, and his replies seem to show that there may be some cracks in his Assemblies of God armor.
[+] 1 user Likes Trapped Pentecostal's post
Thread Closed