Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Well, here's one more newbie to this forum Big Grin

I'm a 23-year old guy from Finland, whose been an agnostic since birth until I finally realized that I was actually an atheist some years back. I've also been a subscriber of TheThinkingAtheist for some years now, as well as many other channels, like TheLivingDinosaur, brettppalmer, ONESPECIES, Evid3nc3, DiscoveringReligion and so on. And, I'm a war-history geek....

Also, as has become my custom, I apologize for any and all spelling and grammatic mistakes that I may already have made and undoubtetly will make in the future. Just don't say I didn't warn you Big Grin

But in anycase, looking forward to spending time here, as I am recovering from my Skooma....I mean Skyrim addiction Angel

"Life - its the fun thing that happened on the way to the cemetery."
-Poilce Officer Janson, Raid
I live in the land of Santa, fool!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a 17 y.o. senior high school student from Finland, and I finally decided to join this site. I've watched many videos from YouTube, and they have given my lots of good information and thoughts concerning atheism, and the way I see life.

Okey so, a year back I was still a believer. I believed in God, the Bible and so on. My family weren't religious, but the local community was attractive, and many of my friends were there so, it felt like a good choice back then. I had my moment of doubts but hey, when you have a loving God on your side, what could possible affect your fate?

But, so it come down to that point, when I had no other choice than start to rethink my religious values. During one camp, I was a minor teacher (kind of a squad leader), and one of my pupils asked me:
"If God is good and all-loving, why does he slaughter small infants?"
And my answer was:
"Well, hmm, weeeellll..... you now, it goes like......."
And in my mind I were like:
"Bloody hell, I don't know!!"
I promised him, that I would ask the priest about it, and so I did. And the priest answer was:
"Not every God's action can be explained. You just have to trust him"

After that, I retreated to my room, and I read the Bible. And, I didn't find any answers. Nothing at all. It spoke so well about the sacrifice of Jesus, but it never justified the slaughter of innocents. Actually, it was more like that those who God has killed, deserved it.

Than time went by, and my doubts began to rise. In the teachings, nobody ever said a word about God's evil actions: it was all about praise and glory of the one almighty. My questions were never fully answered: they avoided the question with religious jargon, and the "Hey, God loves you, even though you are a doubting Thomas"

Then became the Grand Final. My community said, that there actually are those people, who can raise dead with their "god-given" magical powers. I said that if they have those powers, whey haven't I read their actions from a newspapers. The answer was:
"Because they wan't to serve God in silence, be like Jesus"
WTF, the mission of Jesus was to start a new religion and convert the whole world, and those guys would have the power to do so and they still don't show the world that "heyy, I have the power, and God is real"
That was the last time I were with that community. I walked away, and I began searching for atheist texts and opinions. Soon I realized, that those opinions were much better than what the church could provide for me.

Then I noticed, that atheism actually gives more peace to my life than the Christianity ever did. I see the world with new eyes now, and I'm so happy about it. No longer I must think everything as sinful and unpure, but I can finally enjoy life.
[+] 1 user Likes LordiDraken's post
09-01-2012, 02:09 PM
(09-01-2012 02:02 PM)LordiDraken Wrote:  Hello everyone! I'm a 17 y.o. senior high school student from Finland, and I finally decided to join this site. I've watched many videos from YouTube, and they have given my lots of good information and thoughts concerning atheism, and the way I see life.

Okey so, a year back I was still a believer. I believed in God, the Bible and so on. My family weren't religious, but the local community was attractive, and many of my friends were there so, it felt like a good choice back then. I had my moment of doubts but hey, when you have a loving God on your side, what could possible affect your fate?

But, so it come down to that point, when I had no other choice than start to rethink my religious values. During one camp, I was a minor teacher (kind of a squad leader), and one of my pupils asked me:
"If God is good and all-loving, why does he slaughter small infants?"
And my answer was:
"Well, hmm, weeeellll..... you now, it goes like......."
And in my mind I were like:
"Bloody hell, I don't know!!"
I promised him, that I would ask the priest about it, and so I did. And the priest answer was:
"Not every God's action can be explained. You just have to trust him"

After that, I retreated to my room, and I read the Bible. And, I didn't find any answers. Nothing at all. It spoke so well about the sacrifice of Jesus, but it never justified the slaughter of innocents. Actually, it was more like that those who God has killed, deserved it.

Than time went by, and my doubts began to rise. In the teachings, nobody ever said a word about God's evil actions: it was all about praise and glory of the one almighty. My questions were never fully answered: they avoided the question with religious jargon, and the "Hey, God loves you, even though you are a doubting Thomas"

Then became the Grand Final. My community said, that there actually are those people, who can raise dead with their "god-given" magical powers. I said that if they have those powers, whey haven't I read their actions from a newspapers. The answer was:
"Because they wan't to serve God in silence, be like Jesus"
WTF, the mission of Jesus was to start a new religion and convert the whole world, and those guys would have the power to do so and they still don't show the world that "heyy, I have the power, and God is real"
That was the last time I were with that community. I walked away, and I began searching for atheist texts and opinions. Soon I realized, that those opinions were much better than what the church could provide for me.

Then I noticed, that atheism actually gives more peace to my life than the Christianity ever did. I see the world with new eyes now, and I'm so happy about it. No longer I must think everything as sinful and unpure, but I can finally enjoy life.

You could/should be a role model for other youth. Welcome aboard.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Man, we really are getting a lot of new people lately. Welcome all!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
09-01-2012, 09:12 PM
(08-01-2012 05:27 PM)Arctic_Guy Wrote:  Well, here's one more newbie to this forum Big Grin

I'm a 23-year old guy from Finland,

(09-01-2012 02:02 PM)LordiDraken Wrote:  Hello everyone! I'm a 17 y.o. senior high school student from Finland, and I finally decided to join this site.

Arctic_Guy, meet LordiDraken! Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Hai guuys m y nam3 is vtoon aNd iM liek a atheeist and a1l and Hai!!!11 XD LOL XOXOXOXOX Big GrinD
10-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Hello, fellow heathens!

I'm 24, from England, and I've been an atheist for about 5 years. I wasn't raised in a religious household, but I classed myself as spiritual at one point, when I had a massive interest in mediumship and ghosthunting. I thank Derren Brown for making me an atheist, as he proved to me that a fake could do a better job of being a psychic than most of the people I had witnessed who claimed they could talk to dead people. I learned more about cold-reading and managed to spot this all the time. I listened to the very first TTA podcast when it came out during my search for more atheist discussions and have been hooked ever since. I'd love to live in the US, but it amazes me that religion is such a big deal in the States, as it's rarely discussed over here. I feel for you atheists who are stuck in the bible belt!!

My best friend in the world is an American who is a mormon. I've known her for about 6 years and we have a mutual respect for each other's views. We rarely talk about our differing beliefs, but we've had interesting and calm discussions and I'm so happy that these views are not an issue in our friendship. I'm happy to call myself a sinner, while she's happy to call herself deluded! I wish more theists could be as accepting as she is.
[+] 2 users Like Crossie's post
10-01-2012, 07:27 AM
(09-01-2012 11:53 PM)Vtoon2886 Wrote:  Hai guuys m y nam3 is vtoon aNd iM liek a atheeist and a1l and Hai!!!11 XD LOL XOXOXOXOX Big GrinD

Lol what?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
10-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Greetings. i recently came out as an Agnostic after being a Christian for a long time. It was a hard decision to make, because of the social consequences. I still fill so much more comfortable with not living a lie- never good to do that.
[+] 3 users Like montys's post
10-01-2012, 10:20 AM
I think it's very good, that you won't tollerate Religous militarians.
But the key thing here is not to think about what those kinds of people believe, but what they intend to do. I would never wish for a second to have a psyopatic and evil
atheist having the controll of any mass destruction missile. The christians have their black sheeps and we atheist have ours.
Thread Closed