Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-01-2012, 06:02 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(24-01-2012 11:34 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  A former Mormon here.

Welcome, former Mormon.

So, did your fiancee convert?
Did you get married in the temple?
Where's she at, faith-wise?

And what the hell are temple endowments?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2012, 07:06 PM
(24-01-2012 06:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 11:34 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  A former Mormon here.

Welcome, former Mormon.

So, did your fiancee convert?
Did you get married in the temple?
Where's she at, faith-wise?

And what the hell are temple endowments?

Yes, she did convert.

We did get married in the temple.

She had a difficult time leaving the church after I had 'sucked' her into it. It almost ruined our marriage. It was a delicate process and it took me longer to convince her that the church was not so true after all. She still won't go as far as being an atheist like me but she has made a clean break from the church.

Temple endowments are special blessings you get upon going to the temple for the first time. Then you put on the garments a.k.a. "holy underwear". We were also given our Temple names except only I could know my wife's name and could only tell her what it was in heaven. I've since told her what it was.
25-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi,
I'm glad to join this site. I'm more about thinking than about atheism. Also cursed with the tendency to consider your point of view as possibly valid. My POV is still developing, and in the process, I'm enjoying all kinds of new friendships. Thanks in advance.
I'm addicted to the weather in Southern California, along with all the things you can do here, to balance all that thinking.
Multi-lingual, bi-coastal (born in DC), recovering Mor(m)on, father & grandfather, brother, and general old fart.
Further inquiries welcome.
T
Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm Sean,
I've grown up in a Christian family for all of my life, and even as I type, there are crosses throughout my family's home. I first began to doubt when I went out to many of my friend's youth groups, and I realized that these people were doing their best to keep me in their groups as long as possible. At first I wondered why, since all that they had taght me about was the glory of God, and why it's a sin to kill. I discovered after the 5th meeting at a certain youth groups just how bigoted they were. These people hated gays, and their intolerance spread farther than sexual orientation. I began to question some of tthe teachings, and within a week, I was absolutely resented. I stopped going to youth groups after that situation, and I never really wanted to step into a church again. Every day at my high school during lunch, my friends and I began having discussions earlier this year. It started out simply enough, but then a friend of mine began ranting on about how gays are wrong and unnatural, and that God is almighty and that questioning God should not occur... This person became alienated quicker than a businessman at a Hannah Montana concert, and was soon became more and more unstabel with his beliefs. He had been indoctrinated beyond comprehension with the bible and even after a year of trying to argue with him, he remained resilient... We deemed him a bible thumper and continued on with other perverted jokes for the rest of the time that we shared a lunch period. These two situations are what have made me into an atheist, and I am proud of what I am. I love the podcast, and am glad to be a part of this community.
[+] 2 users Like The_Flan_Man's post
26-01-2012, 05:40 PM
(25-01-2012 10:01 PM)taylorken Wrote:  ...
Multi-lingual, bi-coastal (born in DC), recovering Mor(m)on, father & grandfather, brother, and general old fart.
T

Welcome - good to see another ex-Mormon - that's one creepy religion.

26-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Exclamation RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'm a 30 year old photographer and military wife.

Grew up in an alcoholic Evangelical Christian household with my mom and step-dad. Smile My mother went from alcoholism to Christianity overnight. My stepfather worked closely with the church, but maintained a additional/completely different family - 120 miles away. Thankfully, I had a father who was Agnostic and angry at the Catholic Church for denying his grandmother a Mass for her funeral because she hadn't tithed while ill. He was the person who instilled a curiosity in me and a sense of right and wrong. I struggled from 7 until 18 with the religion my Mom and Step-Dad claimed to love, and often used as a form of punishment for me. My Mom and step-dad didn't take me to the doctor, or the dentist. When, upon waking from a deep sleep - I couldn't move, they told me I was being attacked by demons because I hadn't obeyed them. Turns out I suffered from sleep paralysis. Which, ironically, can be induced by stress. My mother is now on her 4th husband, and she's moved onto Seventh Day Adventism. She's one bad decision from living on a compound. I live amongst a sea of fair-weather Christians, on a military post. I normally claim to be Agnostic because most Christians don't even know what it is, and they're not as threatened by it. If there is a step between Agnosticism and Atheism, that's where I am. I feel a bit pigeonholed when I have to answer either way. My favorite argument to have with Christians is generally one that starts with the very Beginning. I like to introduce the idea that Satan is a deity, as powerful - if not more so than God. (I am not a Satanist, btw). And, I pose two scenarios... Either God knew of the horrors that his humans would face, but created them anyway - for his own amusement. Or, the omniscient God couldn't predict what Satan would do. Which means that Satan, the Angels, etc. are gods in their own right. Normally, we don't even get to Jesus after that little nugget. I don't initiate that conversation, but that's generally where I take it - since most Christians don't even know their own scriptures well enough to have an educated opinion on it. I just toss it out there, and watch them scramble to refute it.

The right-wing, religious military wives don't get me. I've been called unPatriotic because I question authority and don't follow blindly. I don't have children (which makes them think I'm selfish, which is fine with me). I love my Black Cat, mostly because he's very sweet - a little bit because I know it irks them. I love photography, the arts. Love nature, and I'm excited about moving back to our home state and building our home from storage containers and supplementing our energy in efficient ways.

I think. A lot. It seems like many people aren't afforded that luxury anymore. I've been called negative because I'm quick to pick out things that don't make sense. People don't like that. Doesn't make them feel safe.

All in all. It's a strange ride. I've only ever been concerned with the truth. Opinion is interesting, something we can consider and learn from. But, at the end of the day - the truth is all that matters. I'm tired of religious people justifying prejudice, discrimination and greed with their God.

I want to learn as much as my little brain can hold. Live a moral life. Try not to trash the place while I'm here Smile Hopefully leave those I meet and this earth a little better off.
[+] 6 users Like SheThatIsMe's post
27-01-2012, 02:51 AM
(25-01-2012 10:01 PM)taylorken Wrote:  Hi,
I'm glad to join this site. I'm more about thinking than about atheism. Also cursed with the tendency to consider your point of view as possibly valid. My POV is still developing, and in the process, I'm enjoying all kinds of new friendships. Thanks in advance.
I'm addicted to the weather in Southern California, along with all the things you can do here, to balance all that thinking.
T

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
27-01-2012, 08:10 AM
(26-01-2012 10:03 PM)SheThatIsMe Wrote:  I'm a 30 year old photographer and military wife.

Welcome SheThatIsMe, yes I like to point out to christians that Jesus is half man - half god like a lot of other pagan heroes and that's probably what made it so easy for pagans of the day to convert to such mythology.

I live by a big military base. Some folks here started a meetup group called "Military Atheists & Secular Humanists" or M.A.S.H. and I think it's trending to other bases as well. Maybe you could find better friends there? -Good luck!
27-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Welcome all you wonderful new people!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome, come in the water's fine, you do sound like a fish out of water.

Thread Closed