Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey there, everybody! My name's Justin, I'm 29 years old, and I live n the great Commonwealth of Virginia. ;-) I'm a closeted ex-Southern Baptist Christian and I was raised in the faith from as early as I can remember. Christianity has been, I believe, a catalyst for severe anxiety and depression from the early days of my childhood until as recently as six or seven years ago. I had a constant, nagging, and, at times, debillitating fear of Hell, disease as punishment from God for things I had done (just like those beautiful stories in The Bible that we studied in Sunday School), and being left behind in the rapture if I had not acepted Jesus correctly somehow. I cold go into a lot of detail here, but I'll spare you all. :-)
So, on to the present: After my last faith-based crisis about six or seven years ago, and the subsequent bout of terrible anxiety and depression that followed, I came to the conclusion that I could only reconcile myself with God by changing my belief system. I spent about five years essentially re-writing the Bible (not literally), cherry-picking the good and omitting the bad, so that the Christian doctrine could fit comfortably between what I knew to be moral, what I knew to be scientific truth, and what i knew would calm my fears. A few years into that burdensome methodology, I began to get comfortable with the thought "Man, I wish I would have never been subjected to this religion in the first place". At that point, my quest for truth about the religion I had been fearing and blindly folliowing for 25+ years quickly reached a fever pitch, and I started devouring any and every book, website, and YouTube video that I could on the history behind my religion and it's holy book. Needless to say, what I learned changed my life. I owe my current non-religious, peaceful, and enjoyable existence to what I've found, and what I'm still finding, in my pursuit of truth, logic, reason, and science.

As a lurker in this forum, as well as being an active participant in some others, I've found the atheist community itself instrumental and very supportive during my de-conversion process. For that I owe you a profound thanks. I'm looking forward to continuing the journey with you all as an active member of TTAF. Take care....

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
[+] 4 users Like impr0vise's post
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
(05-02-2012 12:17 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  Hey there, everybody! My name's Justin, I'm 29 years old, and I live n the great Commonwealth of Virginia. ;-) I'm a closeted ex-Southern Baptist Christian and I was raised in the faith from as early as I can remember. Christianity has been, I believe, a catalyst for severe anxiety and depression from the early days of my childhood until as recently as six or seven years ago. I had a constant, nagging, and, at times, debillitating fear of Hell, disease as punishment from God for things I had done (just like those beautiful stories in The Bible that we studied in Sunday School), and being left behind in the rapture if I had not acepted Jesus correctly somehow. I cold go into a lot of detail here, but I'll spare you all. :-)
So, on to the present: After my last faith-based crisis about six or seven years ago, and the subsequent bout of terrible anxiety and depression that followed, I came to the conclusion that I could only reconcile myself with God by changing my belief system. I spent about five years essentially re-writing the Bible (not literally), cherry-picking the good and omitting the bad, so that the Christian doctrine could fit comfortably between what I knew to be moral, what I knew to be scientific truth, and what i knew would calm my fears. A few years into that burdensome methodology, I began to get comfortable with the thought "Man, I wish I would have never been subjected to this religion in the first place". At that point, my quest for truth about the religion I had been fearing and blindly folliowing for 25+ years quickly reached a fever pitch, and I started devouring any and every book, website, and YouTube video that I could on the history behind my religion and it's holy book. Needless to say, what I learned changed my life. I owe my current non-religious, peaceful, and enjoyable existence to what I've found, and what I'm still finding, in my pursuit of truth, logic, reason, and science.

As a lurker in this forum, as well as being an active participant in some others, I've found the atheist community itself instrumental and very supportive during my de-conversion process. For that I owe you a profound thanks. I'm looking forward to continuing the journey with you all as an active member of TTAF. Take care....

Glad things are working out for you! Welcome aboard Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Kinger's post
05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Sorry for all the spelling and grammatical errors in that post. Stupid iPad... ;-)

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes impr0vise's post
05-02-2012, 09:10 AM
(05-02-2012 08:58 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  Sorry for all the spelling and grammatical errors in that post. Stupid iPad... ;-)

Even if you posted using a potato, im sure you would still have less spelling errors and better grammar than most Christian trolls I see on youtube. More coherent too!
05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
(05-02-2012 12:17 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  Hey there, everybody! My name's Justin, I'm 29 years old, and I live n the great Commonwealth of Virginia. ;-) I'm a closeted ex-Southern Baptist Christian and I was raised in the faith from as early as I can remember. Christianity has been, I believe, a catalyst for severe anxiety and depression from the early days of my childhood until as recently as six or seven years ago. I had a constant, nagging, and, at times, debillitating fear of Hell, disease as punishment from God for things I had done (just like those beautiful stories in The Bible that we studied in Sunday School), and being left behind in the rapture if I had not acepted Jesus correctly somehow. I cold go into a lot of detail here, but I'll spare you all. :-)

Hey imp, glad to have you here. I can fully relate to your story. Ex-Baptist trauma victim here too, still recovering from the depression and anxiety you mentioned and still partially closeted to family and many friends. So come on in, make yourself at home. It will be good to have your insights added to our growing community.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-02-2012, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 10:57 AM by impr0vise.)
(05-02-2012 09:10 AM)Kinger Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 08:58 AM)impr0vise Wrote:  Sorry for all the spelling and grammatical errors in that post. Stupid iPad... ;-)
Even if you posted using a potato, im sure you would still have less spelling errors and better grammar than most Christian trolls I see on youtube. More coherent too!

Hmmmmmmm.......the iPotato. It could be a hit. Wink

(05-02-2012 09:55 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Hey imp, glad to have you here. I can fully relate to your story. Ex-Baptist trauma victim here too, still recovering from the depression and anxiety you mentioned and still partially closeted to family and many friends. So come on in, make yourself at home. It will be good to have your insights added to our growing community.

Thanks a lot, man. There's definitely something about that kind of fear - the baptist fire and brimstone variety - that is almost cancerous. That's to say that, unlike other childhood fears, it only grows and spreads with time until you treat the source. Hope your recovery is going as well as mine. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes impr0vise's post
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I want an iPad, too!!
And welcome to the forum *offering a welcome cookie*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
05-02-2012, 04:27 PM
(05-02-2012 03:41 PM)Leela Wrote:  
I want an iPad, too!!
And welcome to the forum *offering a welcome cookie*

Leela don't you mean iPotato Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Kinger's post
05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi! My name is Steve - I'm new to the site. I am happy to be here ! - Looking forward to meaningful and intelligent conversation !!!
[+] 2 users Like Steve's post
Thread Closed