Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-02-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone. Been poking around TTA's facebook page for a couple months now, and thought I'd peek in over here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Outcast's post
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey outcast welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi there! I'm from Pennsylvania and was inspired to join the forum after listening to the Thinking Atheist podcasts. Been a skeptic since emerging from the womb. Fiercely Libertarian and rational!
06-02-2012, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 07:54 PM by Anjele.)
Wink Hello!
Hello,
Nice to find a place to share, I recently discovered the podcast and came here to check things out.

I am in my mid 50s...yikes, how did that happen? I was raised Catholic but started questioning things at a pretty early age. Just couldn't buy the whole religion/God thing. I tried but logic seems to prevail.

Don't hide my Atheism, my bookshelf is loaded with books on the subject. But I also don't run around announcing it because I have found that the arguments from the God-squad tiring. It does seem that after the last group of soul-savers came to the door and I knew more about the Bible than they did that my name went out and I was crossed off all the recruitment lists.

Anyway, here to learn more.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello. I guess you'd called me a "new" atheist, as I've only recently started identifying myself as such, but it's been a long time since I've actually believed in god. I'm a 17 year old American high school student, a wannabe writer, a book nerd, a lover of science, and a proud anime/manga otaku.

[Image: nat416.gif]
[+] 2 users Like LittleMissFourEyes's post
06-02-2012, 08:45 PM
It's been a while since I've posted anything here, not since the the whole haemorrhoid and coup d'etat incident I think Big Grin.

Anyways, welcome to you all. Enjoy your stay, feel free to pet the theists but remember to use gloves if you're planning to attempt the use of logic, they don't like logic and sometimes it makes them bite.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
07-02-2012, 05:58 AM
I just got suddenly banned from a creationist forum without and real warning after posting hundreds and hundreds of times. I had not broken any rules that I could determine, but one of the admins. started accusing me of being a fraud in terms of the worldview I selected upon registering, "thesistic evolutionist" and calling me an atheist in denial. He basically said that no Christian (my selected religious affiliation) could defend an old earth or evolution. I had consistently stated my viewpoint that the earth is very old, and that evolution explains the diversity of life of the planet. He also was babbling on about something "You don't care"....and lecturing about how accepting evolution leads people to hell.

Most of my posts had been about defending geology against dishonest creationist attacks. My last posts were mainly setting correct notions that the Principle of Superposition had not be falsified and that a claim that an unconformity did not exist between the Redwall Limestone and the Muav Limestone in teh Grand Canyon was false. The creationist that posted the latter had been reduced to ad homs in reply to me. The admin. who banned me had recently posted that anyone that does this is out of ideas.

This same admin had broken or bent a few forum rules in the days before, such as baiting me and de-railing threads.

So I was surfing and found that this YEC admin. is a member here. I decided to see what was happening here.

I am a professional geologist (32 years working so far after obtaining my MS degree in the subject). I am a Christian who realizes that the evidence is overwhealmingly in favor of an old earth upon which evolution has taken place.

I think I was about the only "theistic evolutionist" left that had not been banned. That admin. has posted many times of his hatred for such. The hypocrisy is that the forum has this option as a selection, then hounds any such people out and if they do not stop posting, bans them. It was like being in East Berlin during the height of the Cold War in terms of feeling free.
[+] 1 user Likes Geode's post
07-02-2012, 06:13 AM
(06-02-2012 06:35 PM)Galt Wrote:  Hi there! I'm from Pennsylvania and was inspired to join the forum after listening to the Thinking Atheist podcasts. Been a skeptic since emerging from the womb. Fiercely Libertarian and rational!

Great to welcome a fellow Libertarian! I just joined a few days ago myself, I've found it's a great community. Glad you're here!

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
07-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the forum geode. You will find that we are more tolerant that most forums out there. Just out of curiosity who is the user you mentioned in your post?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
07-02-2012, 07:15 AM
(07-02-2012 07:05 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome to the forum geode. You will find that we are more tolerant that most forums out there. Just out of curiosity who is the user you mentioned in your post?

Yeah we must find him and stake him Wink
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
Thread Closed