Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-02-2012, 09:32 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-02-2012 07:51 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 07:32 PM)Geode Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 10:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 10:16 AM)Geode Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 09:49 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's cool.

So, you do read science into the Genesis account?

Not completely, I think the Genesis account has some broad brush attempts at describing scientific eventsch as in the approximate order in which life forms came to be, but in general is lacking in much scientific value. But I do not think God is involved in every evolutionary event. I do not think He would want to keep that focussed and continually occupied. For the most part I think it was more like starting a process like the first spark of life than observing it take off and develop.

Well, God continued occupation doesn't limit His ability. If He's omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent, a constant involvement doesn't limit His power or attention in way.

Hmmm... do you believe in Process Theology? Many TEs subscribe to it.

In my mind it is just that God has chosen not to be involved in the minute details and has allowed scientific laws to operate in the universe according to what they entail.

No, I am not really a believer in Process Theology.

So let me get this straight...

God started the big bang or whatever else was at the beginning of the universe, making sure everything was in the right place so that humans would eventually develop on a ball of dirt somewhere. He went to all this trouble then waited 14 billion years for his creation to form all in the name of not violating his scientific laws, just so that in the last 4,000 years or so he could break them all over the place by parting a sea, raising people from the dead, and working other various miracles?

One could answer that being all-knowing God could see the eventual outcome in terms of the directions that life forms would take, even without any intervention. Is God's knowledge of science not great enough that He can predict the outcomes involved?

I had a professor of geology who once told his class that in his opinion God would not rush creation, that taking His own good time showed respect for what was created.

Some might also say that God actually did not wait until the last 4,000 years or so to interact more closely with one species as He has done on our planet according to Judaism, Islam or Christianity. Is there life on other worlds where such a thing happened long ago?

I think some "miracles" described in the Bible really follow scientific laws. The parting of the water for Moses and his people to pass may have had something to do with something that can be explained without their being any violation on the part of God. If Moses saw men get in a jet and disappear into the skies I think he would have described it as a miracle simply because he would not understand that the technology used was well within the laws of physics.
Find all posts by this user
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
(09-02-2012 09:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-02-2012 05:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome everyone.

Is it just me, or is there a lot of ex-Catholics here?

There do seem to be quite a few of us...I like to think of myself as a recovering Catholic.

Anyone with any self-respect and intelligence would leave the Catholic Church.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey guys,

Im new here so I thought I would say hi! I'm an Aussie and an Atheist and when I saw this site and a place where I can talk with people who have the same views as me I jumped on board! Smile I have other interests such as sport, miniature model gaming, computer games, off roading etc and always keen for a chat Smile

Cheers guys,

AA

Free will is great, you get to make your own decisions like an adult and everything!
[+] 1 user Likes Aussie_Atheist's post
11-02-2012, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 04:39 AM by theKaktusKoolerKid.)
Heart Hi I'm a shit talker.
I am Atheist. Raised Southern Baptist in Texas. Home schooled in Australia for awhile. I went to Christian middle school in Texas when I returned. I became Atheist a few months after going to the Christian school. I didn't know how to tell my parents. I was chastised at school for my beliefs and questions. I pleaded with my parents for a few years to let me go witness to the public schools. They finally let me go at the age of 15. I moved out of their house at age 16 once I found a rebellious group of friends. I expanded my mind, with various substances, I have read the Bible through 4 times now, the Quran once, some Hindi scriptures. I am well versed in fundamentalism and my hobby in life is to take them down one at a time. If they don't go down easily I will crush doubt into the depth of their shallow souls. Like I said, I'm a shit talker, only when some one instigates. Which I may or may not ask a question that I know will instigate. Even still, they don't know what they are in for when they decide to get personal. I attribute my intelligence to my life experiences, a sequence of mistrials, errors, redo's, poor judgement, mixed with shit tons of fun and memories.
I lived in Alice Springs for 3 years. Where do you live?
[+] 2 users Like theKaktusKoolerKid's post
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey all. New registrant. Looking forward to being a part of this community.
12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum new people.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM
RE: Hi I'm a shit talker.
(11-02-2012 04:18 AM)theKaktusKoolerKid Wrote:  If they don't go down easily I will crush doubt into the depth of their shallow souls.

You and Hamata k are going to get along just fine. Wink

#sigh
13-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I like the new avatar Girly. Cute kid. It's parents are probably going to start missing it soon if you don't let it out of the cage to go home. You are supposed to pick the ugly ones to barbeque so as not to arouse suspicion.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
15-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Hello all! I'm a twenty-four year old militant atheist. Living at home and going to college. Became one years ago but it's taken a lot to open up and really accept the way I am. I would best describe it as the struggle some gay people might have in accepting their own sexuality - I rejected the notion that I was an atheist and didn't want to think I could be one of them. I finally "came out" to my Mom a little under a year ago, and it didn't go too well - although she seems to accept it now. She considers herself mostly spiritual, although the remnants of our Christian past are still there. (We went to an "Assemblies of God" Church, mostly praise & worship - I had to Google the name and go back and read it's beliefs).

I hope to gain a lot of knowledge here, listen in to other people's experiences & give some of my own, and most importantly how we (or just I) can confront nonsense when we come across it.
15-02-2012, 09:38 AM
(15-02-2012 09:02 AM)JohnnieWalker Wrote:  Hello all! I'm a twenty-four year old militant atheist. Living at home and going to college. Became one years ago but it's taken a lot to open up and really accept the way I am. I would best describe it as the struggle some gay people might have in accepting their own sexuality - I rejected the notion that I was an atheist and didn't want to think I could be one of them. I finally "came out" to my Mom a little under a year ago, and it didn't go too well - although she seems to accept it now. She considers herself mostly spiritual, although the remnants of our Christian past are still there. (We went to an "Assemblies of God" Church, mostly praise & worship - I had to Google the name and go back and read it's beliefs).

I hope to gain a lot of knowledge here, listen in to other people's experiences & give some of my own, and most importantly how we (or just I) can confront nonsense when we come across it.

Hey JohnnieWalker, I met a bottle of one of your cousins last night.Cool

Welcome to the forum!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Thread Closed