Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2012, 04:04 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Welcome to all the newbies
*handing out some healthy snacks* (carrots)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
20-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I went to catholic school and once wanted to become a nun. Smile Then I stumbled over the notion that babies who die before being baptized have to spend their after life in Limbo. This seemed so unreasonable to me, I started questioning everything. It didn't take long until I thought this whole religion thing was just so much BS. Later I found I couldn't relate to any of the other religions either. I have never discussed this much with anyone, I just avoid very religious people. My husband was also atheist. Both my parents were atheist, although I didn't know this until they were close to death. I always thought they were catholics who just didn't care about going to church much. Religion just wasn't discussed at our house, and I thought it to be normal that way.
I never thought atheism defined me as a person, but I am curious about how other atheists arrived at their world views.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm Ashley, a 19 y/o male living in London (UK). I was born to atheist parents and have always been an atheist, barring a time when I was 13 and began to have doubts when my Religious Studies teacher, a devout Christian, always taught nothing but Christianity, practically trying to convert us. I don't think it's a coincidence that he no longer teaches.

Anyway, I have recently joined the Christian Union at my Conservatoire (I'm a music student) as they have a debate every week. I go to give a secular humanist's take on the topics they discuss.

What I would like to do is post the question they discuss here in advance and ask for feedback etc to use in the debate.

See ya round, and remember,

THANK HUMANITY
[+] 2 users Like Snookbone's post
20-02-2012, 08:21 PM
It's me again
Put a couple pieces together today...
Raised a Catholic back when the mass was in Latin, I was always just pretty disinterested in church. I didn't know what was being said and there was all this sit, stand, kneel and hand gestures with responses I didn't understand to things said that I didn't understand.
At a disadvantage when we moved to a town with an almost exclusively Catholic...the other kids had been in parochial school their whole lives, there was no public school in town other than the kindergarten. I had been in public schools up until 6th grade. Apparently I had missed out on the key to all this stuff.
After bad experiences with the church, noticing all the hypocrisy, and dropping out except for weddings and funerals, I spent most of my 20s not even thinking about church and religion. Then my first husband died. My two small kids and I were 2000 miles from home and didn't really know anyone. I thought maybe the answer was church. I looked in the yellow pages and found a Catholic church and got up Sunday morning and dressed for mass.
I went in and sat in the back of the church. Mass started and it was the Spanish Mass. I don't happen to know any Spanish. I sat there a few minutes, realized that ,once again, I didn't understand a thing and got up and left.
So, it wasn't a sign from God but something was telling me I was never going to understand this stuff.
After that I really began my search for information. The harder I tried to understand Christianity, the more I realized it was crap. I go in spells of reading and researching and so far have not been swayed back to religion of any kind.
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years ago, I got a lot of I'll pray for you comments. I just let that go. Those people care about me and don't know what else to do. If it helps them sleep better at night, then so be it. It won't help me and it won't hurt me...I will pick my battles.
What was your moment? The moment when you said...damn, I am an Atheist and that's okay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Hey ya'll.

Im excited to be here.

The ThinkingAtheist vids on youtube brought me here.

Look foward to conversing.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
21-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Hello there.

I'm Kate, a twenty year old second year illustration degree student. I'm from the UK and I think I've always been an atheist. I grew up in a fairly neutral environment around mainly agnostics despite morning assembly of song or prayer in primary school. I've always had a soft spot for mythology and as a child that's what I saw religion as. A collection of vaguely interesting stories and nothing more, so I don't recall ever entertaining the idea that they might have been anything more.

I enjoy learning and asking questions, reading (from classics to comic books), art (others and creating my own), fantasy, sci-fy, video games (RPGs mainly), the usual (music, tv, film) list peppered with various other nerdy things. I'm passionate about both human and animal rights.

I'm usually quite shy and prefer to lurk on sites like this but I really think the type of discussion here I could enjoy getting involved in ^^
21-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the forum people, grab yourself a beer and enjoy your stay Smile.

Katewithpaint where abouts in the uk are you from?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
21-02-2012, 07:32 PM
(21-02-2012 06:53 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome to the forum people, grab yourself a beer and enjoy your stay Smile.

Katewithpaint where abouts in the uk are you from?

I dunno about you but I'm loving this influx of UK members. It could be time to break out the coup again if our numbers keep growing like this Big Grin.

Welcome to all our new members, UK and non-UK alike.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
21-02-2012, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 07:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-02-2012 07:32 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I dunno about you but I'm loving this influx of UK members. It could be time to break out the coup again if our numbers keep growing like this Big Grin.

It's not really fair since you blokes have always just been pagans posing as whatever religion you was currently being preached in the hope of getting them to just shut the fuck up about it already.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-02-2012, 08:38 PM
(21-02-2012 07:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-02-2012 07:32 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I dunno about you but I'm loving this influx of UK members. It could be time to break out the coup again if our numbers keep growing like this Big Grin.

It's not really fair since you blokes have always just been pagans posing as whatever religion you was currently being preached in the hope of getting them to just shut the fuck up about it already.

Is that what's going on? I cpuldell cuz they talk so funny it's tough to figure out what those blokes are saying.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Thread Closed