Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
24-02-2012, 10:05 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
He everyone. I have been a Atheist for about a year now but have been quiet about it. That was until I deployed to Kuwait and meet a good friend that showed me that you don't have to be quiet about it and still not be a ass. Since then I have found a love in debating theist vs atheist in a respectful manner. Hope to learn many things here and to help others.
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello Forum People!

My name is Jamil and much like Chris (Hellooo up there!), I've been an atheist for about 11 years now.

As for background my father's side is atheist and always has been, but I was raised from my mother's aspect, which is very, very Christian Catholic (two of my uncles are Priests in Rome who were ordained by Pope John Paul)! In the year 2000, when i was 13 years old, my father suggested I look into some books making a point for both atheist and theist points of view. About a year later, I announced to everyone in the family that I was atheist. Although, they accepted my choice, I'm not so certain my devout Italian family has ever really respected it.

In any case, I'm very glad to be part of a growing atheist community and do really enjoy the podcasts!

---
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” ~Albert Einstein
25-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Hello
I'm 20 years old. I live in the bible belt, and I am fed up with feeling like I am the only one that is being suppressed because I am an atheist.

I found this great community. I really just need support, because it has come to a point where I am now stagnant in the way I act in society. I can't express my views. I feel I can't be myself without the fear of being cut off from my family and friends.

I didn't mean to come in here and seem all depressed LOL, I just need more confidence is all, and now I have you all Big Grin

I am now not alone.

PM me so we can talk about stuff
25-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone. Welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
25-02-2012, 10:06 AM
(25-02-2012 07:56 AM)invisable Wrote:  [...]

I am now not alone.

PM me so we can talk about stuff

I think that was the biggest thing when I became an atheist. It was the lack of like minded people and community of that. The feeling of being utterly alone in the world. It's silly but, because of the way I was raised, I literally thought I was the only atheist in the world for a while. It was miserable. I hope that you find yourself more and are able to express where you couldn't before. Sure makes life better.

... oh, and welcome everyone.

EDIT: well, more correctly, I thought I was the only one that didn't believe in God (granted that is an atheist), because I didn't even know the word at the time.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
25-02-2012, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 09:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Welcome all.

In order for belief to be a rational decision, there are at least 4 GIANT leaps that are required.

1. The universe requires a cause.
......Totally disproven by Cosmology, Quantum Physics, and Logic. (Can't have a "cause" HAPPEN, if there is no space-time in which it has the opportunity to "happen").

2. The cause was intelligent.
......Not proven. Could be almost anything.

3. The intelligence was/is a person.
......Nope. It's the only thing humans with limited imaginations can cook up.

4. That person, (for the Abrahamics..Christians, Jews, and Muslims), was Yahweh Sabaoth, the "god of the armies", one among MANY ancient Near Eastern gods of the time, a god who evolved, and emerged from a polytheistic culture, because it gave success in battles.

Since probabilities are multiplied, do they have ANY idea how SMALL the probability is, multiplying those factors together ?

It's, (approaches), ZERO !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-02-2012, 04:50 PM
(25-02-2012 04:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Welcome all.

In order for belief to be a rational decision, there are at least 4 GIANT leaps that are required.

1. The universe requires a cause
......Totally disproven by Cosmology, Quantum Physics, and Logic. (Can't have a "cause" HAPPEN, if there is no space-time in which it has the opportunity to "happen").

2. The cause was intelligent.
......Not proven. Could be almost anything.

3. The intelligence was/is a person.
......Nope. It's the only thing humans with limited imaginations can cook up.

4. That person, (for the Abrahamics..Christians, Jews, and Muslims), was Yahweh Sabaoth, the "god of the armies", one among MANY ancient Near Eastern gods of the time, a god who evolved, and emerged from a polytheistic culture, because it gave success in battles.

Since probabilities are multiplied, do they have ANY idea how SMALL the probability is, multiplying those factors together ?

Careful, Bucky, you may scare off the lurking theists with your common sense!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-02-2012, 05:43 PM
(25-02-2012 04:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Careful, Bucky, you may scare off the lurking theists with your common sense!

Didn't I just do a post on science and common sense?.. well, actually I cheated and used a c0nc0rdance video, but it's still valid. Evidence doesn't always match common sense (especially if that common sense is based on religion). Sorry, just trollin'.. uh, if you want to call it that... uh not saying you are... oh, forget it, just talking too much again.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
26-02-2012, 12:12 AM
(25-02-2012 04:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Welcome all.

[Four things]

This smacks of the same reasoning theists use to argue that the "fine-tuning" of universal constants is so astronomically improbable that only a creative God explains why they are so. Find some actual statistical data and then you won't be like them. (Only you can't find statistical data to calculate probabilities for those things, since of the four only one of them can be observed to have happened, and it only happened once, which is hardly statistically significant.)
26-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Hello and welcome to all our newbies
(that is meant in a friendly way, otherwise I would have written "noobs" - darn I am maybe gaming to much)

Have some cookies and tea *offering*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Thread Closed