Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2012, 02:35 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-03-2012 08:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome, welcome!

Glad to see some more new people around.

For some reason the image of you welcoming newcomers while being mesmerized by your signature for the umpteenth time sent me into a visual of you whipping them with your suit coat as people line up to join the board. Big Grin

A joyous welcoming to all I say!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
10-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Hello everyone -- I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 from Maine. I was raised to explore beliefs and learn about everything, my parents are most likely deists, though we haven't ever really gotten into it too much, my great grandmother was an atheist and she was a huge influence in my life growing up. I was very luckily to not be indoctrinated by family. I did go to Sunday school with my friends as a child, but was asked to leave due to questioning things too much. There aren't too many religious fundies up here, a few, but they are usually on the fringes of society, and not the norm. So I've basically been a questioner all my life, I never really subscribed to monotheism, though I was something of a pantheist/polytheist for a bit, it didn't answer my questions and raised far more and left me feeling empty. Over the last year I've started watching more and reading more information, from Penn and teller's bullshit to Dawkins' books and trying to expand my knowledge. Science was not my strong point in my learning however it is vastly interesting to me now and I'm glad there are so many resources available!
Anyway, hello to everyone Smile
[+] 2 users Like rainkeltoia's post
10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
(10-03-2012 06:19 AM)rainkeltoia Wrote:  Hello everyone -- I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 from Maine. I was raised to explore beliefs and learn about everything, my parents are most likely deists, though we haven't ever really gotten into it too much, my great grandmother was an atheist and she was a huge influence in my life growing up. I was very luckily to not be indoctrinated by family. I did go to Sunday school with my friends as a child, but was asked to leave due to questioning things too much. There aren't too many religious fundies up here, a few, but they are usually on the fringes of society, and not the norm. So I've basically been a questioner all my life, I never really subscribed to monotheism, though I was something of a pantheist/polytheist for a bit, it didn't answer my questions and raised far more and left me feeling empty. Over the last year I've started watching more and reading more information, from Penn and teller's bullshit to Dawkins' books and trying to expand my knowledge. Science was not my strong point in my learning however it is vastly interesting to me now and I'm glad there are so many resources available!

Welcome, mother of 2 Smile We'd be lost without binary logic, so thanks for bringing it up right Wink
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
(10-03-2012 08:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 06:19 AM)rainkeltoia Wrote:  Hello everyone -- I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 from Maine. I was raised to explore beliefs and learn about everything, my parents are most likely deists, though we haven't ever really gotten into it too much, my great grandmother was an atheist and she was a huge influence in my life growing up. I was very luckily to not be indoctrinated by family. I did go to Sunday school with my friends as a child, but was asked to leave due to questioning things too much. There aren't too many religious fundies up here, a few, but they are usually on the fringes of society, and not the norm. So I've basically been a questioner all my life, I never really subscribed to monotheism, though I was something of a pantheist/polytheist for a bit, it didn't answer my questions and raised far more and left me feeling empty. Over the last year I've started watching more and reading more information, from Penn and teller's bullshit to Dawkins' books and trying to expand my knowledge. Science was not my strong point in my learning however it is vastly interesting to me now and I'm glad there are so many resources available!

Welcome, mother of 2 Smile We'd be lost without binary logic, so thanks for bringing it up right Wink

Don't worry about him, rainkeltoia. He means well, but he really does live up to his name. Tongue

Hope you know what you've gotten yourself into! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
10-03-2012, 12:50 PM
HELLO PEOPLE OF EARTH!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
(10-03-2012 12:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 08:48 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Don't worry about him, rainkeltoia. He means well, but he really does live up to his name. Tongue

Hope you know what you've gotten yourself into! Big Grin

LOL well I'll try to remember Wink I've been an active member on mom forums, this should be a breeze Wink
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
(10-03-2012 05:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 04:12 PM)rainkeltoia Wrote:  LOL well I'll try to remember Wink I've been an active member on mom forums, this should be a breeze Wink
Hm...in that case maybe we ought to be the ones who should be scared! Confused

Well maybe you should be, Hellbound. But Girly's been subservient to the matriarchy long enough to know that it's all good as long as I remember a man's got to know his limitations.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Greetings. I am a case manager working with the mentally ill, homeless & drug-addicted population, a writer, musician and an atheist. Was raised in a creationist Christian family, homeschooled K-12 to prevent me from being exposed to evolution and homosexuality. All my textbooks, from science to English grammar, were "From a Christian Perspective."

E.g. I'd have to parse the sentence, "Tommy's problem, idolizing rock stars, was resolved when he gave his life to Jesus." I was taught that the Confederates started out winning the US Civil War because they were more religious, then the Union won because they turned to God. And so forth and so on and more forth and even more on.

Even as an eleven-year-old all this was deeply irritating but I lacked the words to express myself properly. It was unsatisfactory but I knew of no other explanation.

Of course now I am an atheist. So we see how well all that worked. Now I read everything I can get my hands on, from Dawkins, Dennett, Russell etc to research articles. Fascinating stuff. At the moment I'm researching artificial intelligence and am planning a paper on AI and the human unconscious mind to present at a psychology conference. Anyway... when I left home, explored the world & finally had the freedom and vocabulary to admit to myself that I simply did not have faith enough to believe in things that made no sense, it was like a mental contortion relaxed. Or like putting down a big weight I'd been carrying so long I'd become accustomed to it. Or like taking earplugs out and experiencing a new rush of sound, noticing scales and harmonics I could not hear before.

Unfortunately most of the people I know do not understand what an atheist is, why I cannot accept their subjective experience as evidence, and so on.

So finding out that I'm not an alien from another planet after all (my friends call me "the Vulcan" or "Dr. Who." Some mean it as a compliment, others as an affectionate way to say "there's something wrong with you") and that there is a whole community of atheists out there was wonderful.

So... yeah... hi everybody.

Dagaz
[+] 3 users Like dagaz's post
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
My name is Shawn, and I run an atheist t-shirt company. My aim here isn't to promote it, but it would come out anyway so I thought I would start off by saying that. I am just a guy looking to join an theist community where I can chat about stuff, get to know the community and meet new people.

About me, I am a soldier/photographer by day and illustrator/web developer by night. I am Canadian, eh? but grew up in the south with most of my family in 'merica. I've been damn near everywhere and seen damn near everything. I am the atheist in a foxhole and my disbelief has only been strengthened by bullets whizzing by. My parents are very conservative christian, my brother is a evangelical youth minister, my uncle and cousins are scientologists, and my sister is also an atheist. It makes for interesting family reunions.

I grew up Lutheran, went to an Anglican private school and eventually lost what remained of my faith in Israel about 5 years ago. Dawkins and Hitchens changed my life and I have become rather vocal about atheism since. So that's me, I'll leave it to the mods to decide if my sig is too spammy, but I hope not.

Cheers,

Shawn

Shameless self-promotion:
Atheist T-Shirts from the Atheist-Monkey T-Shirt Company
[+] 2 users Like Atheist-Monkey's post
Thread Closed