Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
14-03-2012, 11:41 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(13-03-2012 08:45 PM)batterycharger Wrote:  I'm a fat guy from Britain

Welcome, Brother. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
15-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Bug RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Greetings from Mexico to all, I really dont know what to say ecept im really happy & thankful to have found this place its hard to be an athiest here in Mexico Sad
[+] 1 user Likes LLew821's post
15-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm 18, and I've never believed in God, I didn't really know about God until Middle School because no one in my family talked about it, so when I saw a friend carrying the Bible one day I asked if it was a good book, that was the day I realized I didn't believe in whatever it was that he believed in and I started learning about religions and why God isn't real.
"They claim that they perceive a mode of being superior to your existence on this earth. The mystics of spirit call it “another dimension,” which consists of denying dimensions. The mystics of muscle call it “the future,” which consists of denying the present. To exist is to possess identity. What identity are they able to give to their superior realm? They keep telling you what it is not, but never tell you what it is. All their identifications consist of negating: God is that which no human mind can know, they say—and proceed to demand that you consider it knowledge—God is non-man, heaven is non-earth, soul is non-body, virtue is non-profit, A is non-A, perception is non-sensory, knowledge is non-reason. Their definitions are not acts of defining, but of wiping out." [Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged]
15-03-2012, 09:30 PM
(13-03-2012 08:45 PM)batterycharger Wrote:  I'm a fat guy from Britain

Welcome from your counterpart across the pond.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi All,

I'm originally from Finland, been living in San Diego county, CA for 6 years now.

Was baptized Lutheran like most of the people in Scandinavia but was never really a believer. Once again, like most of the population in Scandinavia or Northern Europe in general.

After seeing how intertwined religion is to pretty much to all the aspects of life here in the U.S., I became more active in my atheism and started poking around the interwebs for more info on the subject and got totally hooked. Seth's videos were one of the first ones I saw and then by digging deeper into the "wonderful" world of YouTube, found a lot of very good videos by the likes of AronRa, Thunderf00t, PZ Myers and such. The biggest influence was, and still kinda is, the Four Horsemen, particularly Christopher Hitchens. What a beautiful mind.. I especially enjoyed the Hitch Slap-series, like Stephen Fry and Hitch going after the Catholic Church.

I also enjoy this forum a lot, gotten some very good info, so thank you all for that.
[+] 1 user Likes JaL3's post
16-03-2012, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 11:18 PM by dagaz.)
Thanks, Leela! (nom nom welcome cookie nom) I appreciate it. Yes, I picked "Dagaz" because of the elder futhark rune. Nice catch. One dimension of its many meanings is the paradigm shift... another is the interaction between two seperate forces to form something new where/when they meet, that neither one could have done alone... but you prolly knew that. Those are just a couple of the meanings that are special to me.

(11-03-2012 05:26 PM)Leela Wrote:  wow hi Dagaz!!
In one of the forums I used to be active I called myself Dagaz, too!
Actually my account there still exists, who cares.
Nice name you chose, lot's of positive meaning in it (at least if one knows something about nordic runes)

A special welcome to the person that has my name heh
*giving a huge welcome cookie*

Cool! I am nowhere near master's level at AI yet but am working on a better understanding. So in your opinion, can computers be said to have intelligence? Big, broad question I know but I'd love to hear what you have to say.

(11-03-2012 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-03-2012 06:52 PM)dagaz Wrote:  At the moment I'm researching artificial intelligence and am planning a paper on AI and the human unconscious mind to present at a psychology conference.

Got my Master's from JHU in AI. ... Just sayin' for future reference. Wink

(10-03-2012 07:17 PM)Atheist-Monkey Wrote:  I grew up Lutheran, went to an Anglican private school ...

I grew up non-denominational Baptist and went to a Lutheran private school K-9.

Welcome dagaz, welcome Monkey!
16-03-2012, 11:25 PM
(16-03-2012 11:15 PM)dagaz Wrote:  So in your opinion, can computers be said to have intelligence?

Not yet, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't.

#sigh
19-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Hello. I'm new. ^^
I'm not entirely sure what to say about myself, but I guess you could say I'm a newly converted atheist from Christianity. I haven't come out in real life about it, and I'm not sure I want to burn any bridges with one person in particular. I am a closet atheist.

[Image: char_8849.jpg]
19-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey

I'm Thomas. I am a 21 y/o male From North Carolina. I'm a in the closet atheist. I used to believe in Christianity when i was younger. My family are devout baptists, My grandpa is a preacher and I pretend to be christian to avoid conflicts at home and at work.

If your wondering about the username it is a contradiction.

Anything else I should include here?
[+] 1 user Likes Angelology's post
19-03-2012, 03:27 PM
(19-03-2012 01:14 PM)Angelology Wrote:  Hey

I'm Thomas. I am a 21 y/o male From North Carolina. I'm a in the closet atheist. I used to believe in Christianity when i was younger. My family are devout baptists, My grandpa is a preacher and I pretend to be christian to avoid conflicts at home and at work.

If your wondering about the username it is a contradiction.

Anything else I should include here?

Why is that a contradiction?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Thread Closed