Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-04-2012, 12:10 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(06-04-2012 10:50 PM)dsavak Wrote:  After months of trolling silently, here I am. The granddaughter of two Southern Baptist preachers. I started questioning things around age 13, actively searching at 18, and finally accepted my atheism at 25. Six years later, I'm out to everyone except my grandmothers. Life is good.
Welcome and pleased to meet you, but I'm more interested in meeting your grandmas. Wink

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 01:52 AM
(06-04-2012 10:50 PM)dsavak Wrote:  After months of trolling silently, here I am. The granddaughter of two Southern Baptist preachers. I started questioning things around age 13, actively searching at 18, and finally accepted my atheism at 25. Six years later, I'm out to everyone except my grandmothers. Life is good.
welcome Smile
07-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Greetings fellow thinkers! A little info to introduce myself...

I am a 59-year-old male, husband, son, father, and grandfather. I am also an atheist, and have been for quite a few years now. I freed myself from the clutches of the Southern Baptist cult over a period of time in the early 1990s. I was about as fundy as one could get for a while. I was deeply involved in church, being there every time they opened the doors. I was in radio at the time, and during my career was a disc jockey at two Christian radio stations in Houston...one, the legacy KFMK, one of the first CCM stations in the country...followed by the original KGOL, which played more traditional Christian music. I narrated church pageants and plays, listened to lots of preachers on the radio, and was pretty much absorbed into, and active in, the Christian community in Houston. So what happened? I reclaimed my mind, bit by bit over several years.

Some of the ridiculous things I heard in church started grating against my critical thinking ability. Once awakened, that part of me began to discard a piece at a time, the things I was had accepted as truth. Over time, I stopped going to church altogether, luckily with little resistance from my wife and children. I needed space to think.

By 1992 when I was transferred to Tulsa, I had largely reclaimed my rationality, although I held on to a thin thread of Christianity in my own mind. By the time I moved to Colorado in 1994, I was about a year away from the realization that I was now an atheist. The Bible says "the truth shall set you free". In that regard it is correct. The born again experience was nowhere as liberating as realizing that religion, deities, devils, angels, demons, gods, sons of gods, and all the rest are the imaginings of the human mind. Christians like to say you were not a "Real Christian" if you ever leave. Like a Roach Motel, you can check in, but you can't check out. But if I were not a real Christian, no one is. I truly believed it, but eventually found it lacking. I am now amazed that I ever fell for it, but proud to say that I was able to reawaken my critical thinking ability to the point of escaping the clutches of the church.

I now live in the Charlotte area, having come here for my current job, and it is sometimes a trip dealing with the religious folk, but since this has already turned into a lengthy introduction, that is for another time.

To Seth, thanks for what you are doing. I found you via the videos, then your website, then the podcasts and now the forum. As a fellow former Christian broadcaster, we likely have a bit in common. Keep up the great work! I had hoped to get up to DC for the Reason Rally, but it was just not to be. Glad you went in my stead. :-) Loved the video recap.

I look forward to some good dialog here!

TMC
[+] 2 users Like TooMuchCoffee's post
07-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Hi TMC. I don't drink coffee any more. It makes me crazy. I just wanted to share that.
Welcome to the forum. Many of us here fell for the scam at one point, so there's no shame in that.

Seth doesn't post here but if you'd like to leave him that message on his facebook page (The Thinking Atheist) he's much more likely to see it.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
07-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks Smooshmonster!
07-04-2012, 07:10 AM
I want to welcome all of the n00bs and wish to remind them that if they do not scrape at Jeebus' heels they will be flame tortured forever and ever amen.
Isnt Jeebus a wonderful God who deserves glory?!?!?!

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 10:30 PM
[Hola Reverend! Fancy meeting you here.]

My name is Mark and you can call me that or whateverist which is my user name. I came up with that to say I'm not really that interested in whether gods exist or not. It isn't anything I think about, though I was raised by Methodists. I just left another website called Atheistforums.org because this one mod, Shell B is a whack job and a moral imbecile. She refers to herself as the cyber bitch of the admin and site owner Tiberius. This asshole along with others of the mods created sock puppet accounts as a joke for April Fool's day. When a buddy of mine at that site unknowingly wrote a personal message to her sock puppet, the cyber bitch actually posted its contents in order to attack my buddy. Vile. I was surprised to learn the mods have casual access to PMs sent between members. There doesn't have to be any particular reason for reading them. They're up front letting you know they can be read and so if they feel like it, they will.

I hope this site lives up to its name. While there were several very intelligent and thoughtful people on the other site there were also many more whose main purpose seemed to be haranguing the theists for being stupid. I'm tired of saying it doesn't take a genius to be an atheist and there are plenty of bright and interesting people out there who are theists. At any rate, this site has got to be better that the Jerry Springer site I just left. I look forward to meeting those of you who are new to me and those who I may already know who post to both sites.

The questions which interest me most involve the nature of the self, of consciousness and of the mind.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
08-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Hello. My name is Zach and I'm an atheist (sounds like AA). I've pretty
much been a non-believer all my life but didn't really call myself an
atheist till about 10 years ago. Ever since I was very young, I have
loved science and thought Bible stories were silly and unreal. Once I
got older, it struck me as very odd that people would ever think of
science as the enemy, since through science, we better all our lives and

the world in general. My mother did not raise my brother and I
religiously at all. Neither did she specifically raise us as atheists.
Very open when it came to all that stuff, really. I'm so thankful for
that and I am proud to be an atheist and a secular humanist.

"Only people know just how to change the world, only people realize the power of people" -John Lennon

"The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition." - Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like ...above us only sky's post
08-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Welcome AUOS Smile
09-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Welcome to all our new members Smile, especially whateverist. Hopefully we can provide a better online home for you than the last atheist forum Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Thread Closed