Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
23-04-2012, 11:14 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I'll have to spend the day thinking about that... Consider

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
23-04-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm 17 and I've been an agnostic for around a year. I recently decided that I wasnt only unconvinced by the Christian god, but god in general.

Carpe Diem
[+] 1 user Likes MrGibsonguitarman's post
24-04-2012, 06:13 AM
(23-04-2012 11:59 PM)MrGibsonguitarman Wrote:  I'm 17 and I've been an agnostic for around a year. I recently decided that I wasnt only unconvinced by the Christian god, but god in general.

Welcome to the forum! Will you use your Gibson as an avatar?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I am an Atheist in my mid 30s, an American vet, and a college student.I have a middle of the road political view and am not an activist.
Although I am not fond of religion, I do not seek to abolish it as doing so would not make us better than the Theist trying to abolish non-believers. I think the banishment of religion is unrealistic (yes, I am aware this is sounds like an oxymoron).
I believe that much of the world population need their beliefs to cope with the world and proliferate attacks against the religious can incite more hatred and religious fervor, just as it seems American intervention has done so in the Mid-East.
I advocate tolerance over defiance. Theists and Atheists will never agree on life and creationist issues. I think it is far more realistic to agree to disagree so we can work together towards secular, common goals. By secular, I mean the physical world, which we both share.
24-04-2012, 01:44 PM
(24-04-2012 12:20 PM)elliott776 Wrote:  I am an Atheist in my mid 30s, an American vet, and a college student.I have a middle of the road political view and am not an activist.
Although I am not fond of religion, I do not seek to abolish it as doing so would not make us better than the Theist trying to abolish non-believers. I think the banishment of religion is unrealistic (yes, I am aware this is sounds like an oxymoron).
I believe that much of the world population need their beliefs to cope with the world and proliferate attacks against the religious can incite more hatred and religious fervor, just as it seems American intervention has done so in the Mid-East.
I advocate tolerance over defiance. Theists and Atheists will never agree on life and creationist issues. I think it is far more realistic to agree to disagree so we can work together towards secular, common goals. By secular, I mean the physical world, which we both share.

Welcome Elliott!

I'd agree with you on leaving religion alone if it weren't for the fact that religion cannot leave you alone. It cannot tolerate you or me and it will not. Many religious people are working on changing law in the US to provide even more benefit to the religious and to punish those not religious and to prevent people from being able to make choices that do not conform to their religion... specifically Christianity. These include women's choice rights to things such as birth control and abortion, forcing your children to endure or even participate in prayer in public schools, equal rights for all people- such as those of the LGBT community, and accurate fact-based education- especially in the sciences. This is not the end of the list either. The thing is- the religious don't tolerate you... if they're not knocking on your door, they're knocking down your rights.

Of course not all religious people are in support of these things- take KingsChosen, for example. He is against them. Many others are as well. If all were like these people, then I would be less against religion.
24-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey folks - New to the forums, but active on the TTA Facebook page. I'm Nicole, 31 and from Richmond, VA. I am atheist by way of Catholicism. I was not much of a believer, just sent to CCD class until I was in 8th grade and was allowed to choose not to be confirmed.

Just recently I discovered that there is a whole atheist community out there. Much of it fighting for social justice since much of our problems with social injustice is a result of religion.

Hope to meet some like-minded folks here.
[+] 1 user Likes NicoleIntrovert's post
24-04-2012, 09:09 PM
(24-04-2012 06:13 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Haven't really thought about it, but now that you mention it thats a great idea Smile
(23-04-2012 11:59 PM)MrGibsonguitarman Wrote:  I'm 17 and I've been an agnostic for around a year. I recently decided that I wasnt only unconvinced by the Christian god, but god in general.

Carpe Diem
[+] 1 user Likes MrGibsonguitarman's post
24-04-2012, 09:33 PM
(24-04-2012 09:09 PM)MrGibsonguitarman Wrote:  
(24-04-2012 06:13 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Haven't really thought about it, but now that you mention it thats a great idea Smile

There you go. Big Grin

#sigh
25-04-2012, 06:00 PM
(23-04-2012 10:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 05:18 PM)darcie Wrote:  
"All"?

I think it's pretty much Egor and me.

Curious, though... why are you dismayed?
I know soooo few out atheists in real life -- maybe it's my location but most people I know are Xtian or at least deists. I'd like to get away from that mindset as I'm in it all the time! At work it's always "there's a reason for everything...Jesus" or "God was watching out for me" etc. Whatever! I have to bite my tongue but I'm alone in doing that.

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves -
Henry David Thoreau

Without god, life is everything
25-04-2012, 06:01 PM
(25-04-2012 06:00 PM)darcie Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 10:51 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  "All"?

I think it's pretty much Egor and me.

Curious, though... why are you dismayed?
I know soooo few out atheists in real life -- maybe it's my location but most people I know are Xtian or at least deists. I'd like to get away from that mindset as I'm in it all the time! At work it's always "there's a reason for everything...Jesus" or "God was watching out for me" etc. Whatever! I have to bite my tongue but I'm alone in doing that.
No need to bite your tongue here. And no need to worry about KC and Egor. Put Egor on your ignore list and make KC your bitch like all the rest of us do. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Thread Closed