Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2012, 10:46 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi, all. Texas atheist here. There's not much of a nonreligious community in my immediate area, so I generally rely on The Internets for rational conversation.

I was raised nominally Christian without much actual religious practice, had a brief foray into Christianity in my teens, rebelled and decided to practice paganism in my late teens and 20s and have settled into quiet rationalism.
Find all posts by this user
27-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey SM, glad to have you with us. You should have little problem finding a form of e-community here. Just jump into the fray and let us know what you think about any topic that interests you.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-05-2012, 12:42 PM
(24-05-2012 08:23 AM)lucradis Wrote:  The badge helps, now all you need is a token black guy to be your sidekick and we're all set. Oh and a love interest.

Truth be told, chuck norris is a tool.
Yes he is, but sadly because of him and that damn show my last name will forever been linked to him.
27-05-2012, 05:43 PM
(24-05-2012 09:04 PM)Katherine Wrote:  I was recently transplanted from New Zealand to Tennessee, and I think I've seen more churches in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 30 years. I've attended a catholic school and a baptist youth group, but the former was for the quality of education and the latter was because they did more interesting stuff than could normally be found in my little town. I was never a believer. In fact, I've been largely apathetic towards the whole god thing until I moved here. Something about the total saturation...

You moved from New Zealand to Tennessee?!

Are you high?!

Big Grin

Welcome to the forum Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi, My name is Steven and I am fifteen years old, or young... Whatever Huh

I called in to TTA podcast labeled " I am an atheist teengager." and told my story there.
( It's around 47 minutes in on youtube.)

So I really don't see the need to repeat it here. Anyways I am glad that I can finally share my opinions and views on this forum.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
28-05-2012, 08:15 AM
I am a 44 year male from Ontario married with 2 kids. I was raised Catholic but never really bought into it and stopped attending when I went to University and then started going again when I married my wife who is more connected to religion than I am and also is a teacher in a Catholic School Board. Both kids were educated in the Catholic School System and it served them well. They actually teach the Big Bang Theory but push the fact that God started it. Thanks to access to information ie. internet both my kids do not buy that and will likely abandon religion at some point.

Just yesterday I CAME OUT to my wife that I am an Atheist. All things considered, it went well. She proved how much she loves be by understanding and not instinctively damning me to hell. Her main concern is that she teaches in a very religious environment and worries about the uncomfortable situations that may arise. She is saddened that religion is not something we will ever share but deep down she knew that I had been tuned out for a long time.

I owed it to her to tell her the truth and I love and respect her for understanding. We will see how things go!

I am sure there a lot of closet atheist spouses out there. For me so far, a huge weight has been lifted and the sun still rose this morning!

Thanks

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion" - Abraham Lincoln
28-05-2012, 08:20 AM
(28-05-2012 08:15 AM)barkingmad Wrote:  I am a 44 year male from Ontario married with 2 kids. I was raised Catholic but never really bought into it and stopped attending when I went to University and then started going again when I married my wife who is more connected to religion than I am and also is a teacher in a Catholic School Board. Both kids were educated in the Catholic School System and it served them well. They actually teach the Big Bang Theory but push the fact that God started it. Thanks to access to information ie. internet both my kids do not buy that and will likely abandon religion at some point.

Just yesterday I CAME OUT to my wife that I am an Atheist. All things considered, it went well. She proved how much she loves be by understanding and not instinctively damning me to hell. Her main concern is that she teaches in a very religious environment and worries about the uncomfortable situations that may arise. She is saddened that religion is not something we will ever share but deep down she knew that I had been tuned out for a long time.

I owed it to her to tell her the truth and I love and respect her for understanding. We will see how things go!

I am sure there a lot of closet atheist spouses out there. For me so far, a huge weight has been lifted and the sun still rose this morning!

Thanks
Hey welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
28-05-2012, 08:23 AM
(28-05-2012 08:20 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(28-05-2012 08:15 AM)barkingmad Wrote:  I am a 44 year male from Ontario married with 2 kids. I was raised Catholic but never really bought into it and stopped attending when I went to University and then started going again when I married my wife who is more connected to religion than I am and also is a teacher in a Catholic School Board. Both kids were educated in the Catholic School System and it served them well. They actually teach the Big Bang Theory but push the fact that God started it. Thanks to access to information ie. internet both my kids do not buy that and will likely abandon religion at some point.

Thanks
Hey welcome to the forum.
Thanks, I am new to the "Forum" thing but not very many people talk to around here. I have to credit The Thinking Atheist for all that he does.

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad I feel bad. That's my religion" - Abraham Lincoln
28-05-2012, 05:40 PM
I am a 63 year old retiree as a public school administrator. My disbelief began about age 8 when my mother took me to the local Presbyterian Church. So during Sunday school the lady told us about Lazarus being brought back to life. I remember sitting there stunned while the other kids ran off for snacks. I just new you couldn't bring people back to life. We had just lost my teenage cousin to
Leukemia and maybe that influenced my thinking. I tried the church while my kids were young. I was even Chair of the Pastor Parish Committee, but I never believed. Eventually, I just felt I did not belong in the church. There was enough hypocracy there without me. As for the depth of my unbelief...god is just not possible. No matter how hard I try, I can't imagine a being or non-being that fits the definition.
[+] 1 user Likes Long_Strider's post
29-05-2012, 02:14 PM
hello all... i've been listening to some of the podcasts and decided i wanted to check this forum out. i've been an atheist for about a year, my dad was a pastor, i was homeschooled, all that jazz. i'm here to learn. look forward to talking to many of you.
Thread Closed