Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(10-06-2012 06:03 PM)FR33thinker Wrote:  Hi. I'm from Louisiana, right in buckle of the bible belt. Or at least it feels that way to me. Raised catholic, married a southern Baptist preachers daughter(I didn't mean to reduce her identity to this, but, you know what I mean) and then a year after we married I opened my eyes and abandondoned superstition of all sorts(no rabbits feet).

I'm just looking for an extra community to connect with because it can get overwhelming with all of the religious banter where I live.
Welcome to the forum. We have a few members from the bible belt. We hope you enjoy your time with our community of godless heathens Big Grin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
10-06-2012, 07:41 PM
(10-06-2012 10:50 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Welcome to the group.

I vow that suspenders are going to come back into style.
... and bow ties.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Name is Jim and live in north central Florida. I'm almost 50 now and was brought up in a pentecostal church and at age 23 moved over to the Baptist side to appease my wife. So all my life I have been a devout Christian, until recently.

The thing that finally broke my Christian belief was prayer.. I was always taught (and believed) that god would miraculously change things (especially bad things), if we just prayed or prayed hard enough. I thoroughly believed this. Then last year, I had something tragic happen in my life and instead of doing things to resolve the problem, I wasted allot of time on my knees and asking others to pray for the situation. We'll not a damn thing changed.

Then I notice many of my facebook friends posting situations like illness, financial, marriage, etc, asking their fb friends to remember them in prayer. Then came a long list of, "praying now, done, will pray, in my thoughts and prayers." All these people saying they would pray, but to be honest, they would probably not do muchmore than that to help the situation.

About a month ago, a friend of mines daughter was seriously injured in a ATV accident.. and of course it ended up on facebook... Then came line after of line of prayers, some saying that "she is in our prayers, she will come out of this, etc." All of them were so sure that god was going to help this young girl. THEN SHE DIED.... Well that news was also on facebook, but the comments then changed to "she is a better place", "you and your family are in our prayers." I looked over these comments and thought to myself, what a crock of shit. Effin prayer doesn't do a damn thing, because there is no god listening.

Shortly afterwords, I began searching information on Agnostics and Atheist.. Then came Youtube videos on the subject, podcast, and now Richard Dawkins books. I had doubts before, but in this short time, the bondage of religion is broken.. Now I'm reading books about real things, instead of bullshit myths and mind controlling stories of the bible...

I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Sasquatch's post
10-06-2012, 08:20 PM
(10-06-2012 08:16 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:  Name is Jim and live in north central Florida. I'm almost 50 now and was brought up in a pentecostal church and at age 23 moved over to the Baptist side to appease my wife. So all my life I have been a devout Christian, until recently.

The thing that finally broke my Christian belief was prayer.. I was always taught (and believed) that god would miraculously change things (especially bad things), if we just prayed or prayed hard enough. I thoroughly believed this. Then last year, I had something tragic happen in my life and instead of doing things to resolve the problem, I wasted allot of time on my knees and asking others to pray for the situation. We'll not a damn thing changed.

Then I notice many of my facebook friends posting situations like illness, financial, marriage, etc, asking their fb friends to remember them in prayer. Then came a long list of, "praying now, done, will pray, in my thoughts and prayers." All these people saying they would pray, but to be honest, they would probably not do muchmore than that to help the situation.

About a month ago, a friend of mines daughter was seriously injured in a ATV accident.. and of course it ended up on facebook... Then came line after of line of prayers, some saying that "she is in our prayers, she will come out of this, etc." All of them were so sure that god was going to help this young girl. THEN SHE DIED.... Well that news was also on facebook, but the comments then changed to "she is a better place", "you and your family are in our prayers." I looked over these comments and thought to myself, what a crock of shit. Effin prayer doesn't do a damn thing, because there is no god listening.

Shortly afterwords, I began searching information on Agnostics and Atheist.. Then came Youtube videos on the subject, podcast, and now Richard Dawkins books. I had doubts before, but in this short time, the bondage of religion is broken.. Now I'm reading books about real things, instead of bullshit myths and mind controlling stories of the bible...

I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome. I am sorry your path was so steep and rocky.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
10-06-2012, 08:44 PM
My name is Discord Agent. I am an atheist, and I have been religious-free for nearly ten years now.
[+] 1 user Likes Discord.agent's post
10-06-2012, 11:23 PM
I feel horrible with my crap intro so...

Copied from the Teenage Atheist Thread:

Hi there!
My name is Steven

My story: I was about thriteen years old when one time I was on the internet, searching up documentaries, when I found " The God That Wasn't There". Being adopted, and raised a fudementalist, I raised an eyebrow at the title. It made me get a bit bothered at what the documentary was about, but nevertheless curious. It was that curiousity that got me to watch it, and start questioning.

As soon as I was done watching, l decided to read the bible. I was an avid reader,but I only managed to finish it within three months. When Atheists say that the sure fire way to take your first steps to become one is to read your "Holy" books, I realized they were right. In that book, I read about many horrible things, from slavary, child abuse, genocide, etc to Take no thought for the morrow. It made me think in a.... Newer direction.

By the time I was done with it, I was an atheist. I was still thirteen when my Seventh Grade teacher ( I went to a catholic private school.) had a lesson about Atheists and non belivers. She said, " Atheists are God Deniers and are going to Hell. I can't respect people like : Stephen Hawking." Hell was a sticky situation with me, I was very indoctrinated to the point of fearing Hell immensly. In a seething rage, I stood up and told her " Then I am going to Hell, I am an atheist. Don't bother saying we are God Deniers because we don't believe in nonsense like that!"

And I was outed.

My teacher looked at me, wide eyes and mouth gaping. She asked me to see her in the hall way, to which I reluctantly went. She wanted to tell my parents about what had happened, but I dissuaded her.

Fastforward a year. At the day of the reason rally I decided that if many Atheists were making their stand and grouping together for something they stand united on, I wanted to be counted as an true atheist. I told my mother and father of my lack of belief, and my mother looked at me with the a blank face.... And said.

" Thank God you're not my real son."
I was adopted from Russia at a young age, and when I heard this.... Well I wasn't happy.

Now my parents barely look at me anymore. I am a giant embaressment to them and their religion.
I am very happy to be on the side of reason and I am now more convinced that ever that
Coming out as an atheist is not only needed, but also very brave.

P.S : Writing on my IPad, sorry if I made any spelling mistakes.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
11-06-2012, 07:51 AM
(10-06-2012 06:03 PM)FR33thinker Wrote:  Hi. I'm from Louisiana, right in buckle of the bible belt. Or at least it feels that way to me. Raised catholic, married a southern Baptist preachers daughter(I didn't mean to reduce her identity to this, but, you know what I mean) and then a year after we married I opened my eyes and abandondoned superstition of all sorts(no rabbits feet).

I'm just looking for an extra community to connect with because it can get overwhelming with all of the religious banter where I live.

Which part of LA?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Heart RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
I am Yaya.
I'm thirty-two. Hispanic. Was brought up Baptist.
I have to say that, I started thinking in the third grade!

I remember we were being taught about our solar system and while our teacher was explaining the Big Bang, a kid raised his hand & said, "My dad said that is not true. That God created us!" And a whole bunch of kids quickly agreed with him. The look of disappointment on my teacher's face made me realize that she was definitely a non-believer. I don't remember in detail what she said in response to what this kid had said, but a part of it stuck with me, "Well, other people think that we just might be fungus living underneath a giant's toenail. People believe a lot of things that are not true. Science has taught us a lot of beautiful things about us and we are definitely more than the creation of a god or gods." -- It just stuck with me and it really made me think and question my beliefs and every thing in between ever since.

I was very active in church and loved singing in the choir and traveled a lot with different youth ministries. Not only because I enjoyed them, but because I felt like if I was active in church activities then maybe these "evil thoughts" would go away! I wanted to desperately believe there was a god and that there was a heaven, because they made it sound like an everlasting dream vacation to Tahiti! Until I could no longer take it any more and finally freed myself from the bullshit at 26! & finally came out!

The first person to come out to was my mother. She didn't like it one bit, but the more I talked to her about it the more she seemed to understand me. She would even say that she liked my way of thinking. lol I think she was accepting my Atheism, due to the fact that she was coming down with Alzheimer's, etc. Either way...my relationship with my mother didn't really change. It actually became stronger til she passed away last year.

A lot of so-called friends pushed me away. It honestly, didn't bother me then, so it doesn't bother me now. What really bothers me is that some of my siblings can't handle it. Especially now that I am more outspoken and no longer am tolerant of the bullshit they believe in. Now I can't believe I am related to these people. They are so ignorant, it's not even entertaining or enjoyable to discuss things with them.

Anyway, before I end up writing a book... Hiiii!!! lol This is me & I am excited to have joined TTA. Hope to learn and grow more with like minded people. Heart

[+] 3 users Like Yaya's post
11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
(11-06-2012 10:23 AM)Yaya Wrote:  I remember we were being taught about our solar system and while our teacher was explaining the Big Bang, a kid raised his hand & said, "My dad said that is not true. That God created us!" And a whole bunch of kids quickly agreed with him. The look of disappointment on my teacher's face made me realize that she was definitely a non-believer. I don't remember in detail what she said in response to what this kid had said, but a part of it stuck with me, "Well, other people think that we just might be fungus living underneath a giant's toenail. People believe a lot of things that are not true. Science has taught us a lot of beautiful things about us and we are definitely more than the creation of a god or gods." -- It just stuck with me and it really made me think and question my beliefs and every thing in between ever since.

Wow Yaya, it's great you had such a wonderful teacher! Those were indeed encouraging words and you were brave to hang on to them. Your relationship with your Mother, especially nearer her passing, must have been a lovely gift the rest of your family may never understand... and they could be somewhat resentful. Lump that on top of your newly declared freedom... sheesh... you got it all going on, and they don't know how to relate to the new grown up in town.

You obviously love your family and are having difficulty relating; thing is, even if some are older than you, they're still just kids. I love kids like crazy, but they can be a complete pain in the ass. They'll constantly try to prove things to you, test you, vie for attention, rebel against you ... AND, they'll rebel against the thing they resent most about you; your freedom. All you can really do is just love them... often, that's all there really is to connect with. Heart

By the way, how dare you allow yourself to grow and think and become a well rounded, happy human being! That right there - that's why you Atheists are just an insufferable lot!
If I weren't one, I might hate you, too... and then we'd both be screwed. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
11-06-2012, 02:09 PM
(11-06-2012 11:54 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow Yaya, it's great you had such a wonderful teacher! Those were indeed encouraging words and you were brave to hang on to them. Your relationship with your Mother, especially nearer her passing, must have been a lovely gift the rest of your family may never understand... and they could be somewhat resentful. Lump that on top of your newly declared freedom... sheesh... you got it all going on, and they don't know how to relate to the new grown up in town.

You obviously love your family and are having difficulty relating; thing is, even if some are older than you, they're still just kids. I love kids like crazy, but they can be a complete pain in the ass. They'll constantly try to prove things to you, test you, vie for attention, rebel against you ... AND, they'll rebel against the thing they resent most about you; your freedom. All you can really do is just love them... often, that's all there really is to connect with. Heart

By the way, how dare you allow yourself to grow and think and become a well rounded, happy human being! That right there - that's why you Atheists are just an insufferable lot!
If I weren't one, I might hate you, too... and then we'd both be screwed. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile
Thank you for the warm welcome Kim! I greatly appreciate it. Big Grin
I have thought about looking for my third grade teacher to personally thank her. Hope to find her some time soon.

If I had another chance to take care of my mother, I would do it all over again! I do not regret putting my life on hold to do so. We had some good times and trust me, we had a lot bad times...and I cherished those too! And you are right. My siblings will never understand and I don't need them to.

I am happy to be here!
[+] 2 users Like Yaya's post
Thread Closed