Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
22-06-2012, 01:50 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Wow lots of new members here, welcome everyone!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
22-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Hello,
I'm a 30 year old guy from Nebraska. I when I was really young my parents never really went to church, but sometimes they would read my half-sister and me bible stories (I think we were supposedly Catholic but I was fairly young). Around the age of 10 my father became a "born-again" christian and coaxed me to do the same. I went along with it (though my mom and sister didn't). The only thing I really remember was for some odd reason during Sunday services I'd be wide awake right up till the pastor go to the podium, then out like a light.
My path away came in middle school when I was given the option to not go to church. Soon after I started getting into Wicca, and was quite serious about it, but that too faded.
For a long time I just never gave religion a thought, until I got married at 24. My wife was Christian but only went to church once an a while (she coaxed me to a church once). However while I never really thought about religion, and I never did the religious stuff (pray, read "holy books", etc.) I never really thought of my self as an Atheist. After she left me I fell into a deep debilitating depression. Once I regained my sanity (at least most of it) I started watching YouTube Atheists (Thunderf00t, AronRa, and of course TTA).
I am mostly open about my Atheism, but I do try to avoid announcing it as I don't know how my fellow Nebraskans would react.

Sorry for the wall of text/life story, now for a short but fairly exhaustive list of hobbies: Video games, about anything with computers, pretending to be an engineer, watching YouTube videos on Atheism and Science, and a little bit of drawing and painting.
[+] 1 user Likes AViegarein's post
22-06-2012, 08:08 PM
(22-06-2012 07:54 PM)AViegarein Wrote:  Hello,
I'm a 30 year old guy from Nebraska. I when I was really young my parents never really went to church, but sometimes they would read my half-sister and me bible stories (I think we were supposedly Catholic but I was fairly young). Around the age of 10 my father became a "born-again" christian and coaxed me to do the same. I went along with it (though my mom and sister didn't). The only thing I really remember was for some odd reason during Sunday services I'd be wide awake right up till the pastor go to the podium, then out like a light.
My path away came in middle school when I was given the option to not go to church. Soon after I started getting into Wicca, and was quite serious about it, but that too faded.
For a long time I just never gave religion a thought, until I got married at 24. My wife was Christian but only went to church once an a while (she coaxed me to a church once). However while I never really thought about religion, and I never did the religious stuff (pray, read "holy books", etc.) I never really thought of my self as an Atheist. After she left me I fell into a deep debilitating depression. Once I regained my sanity (at least most of it) I started watching YouTube Atheists (Thunderf00t, AronRa, and of course TTA).
I am mostly open about my Atheism, but I do try to avoid announcing it as I don't know how my fellow Nebraskans would react.

Sorry for the wall of text/life story, now for a short but fairly exhaustive list of hobbies: Video games, about anything with computers, pretending to be an engineer, watching YouTube videos on Atheism and Science, and a little bit of drawing and painting.
Welcome. You'll do nicely here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Thumbs Up RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello from Dubuque, Iowa! ...
I am a 48yr old male, 10 yrs divorced w/ two adult children. I was (and am no longer) a baptized Jehovah's Witness, and converted to that from being a member of "The Way International" (Victor Paul Wierwille ~ cult founder / deceased) and converted to that from being raised and confirmed as a United Methodist. Briefly trying Catholicism, Lutheran, Baptist (not sure which sect), along the way...
Catholicism took 2 tries to know it was horribly awry, Lutheran was lukewarm and wishy-washy like Methodist. Baptist was too guilt ridden, plus all the unnerving fire and brimstone and shouting. (not pleasant!)
"The Way" sounded like a good idea, but couldn't keep up with removing "private interpretation" and basically replacing it with..."private interpretation" with help from the founder and his literature. Jehovah's Witnesses are the closest at literally following what is written in the NWT ... and basically the KJV. After several yrs of REALLY reading the bible...FINALLY, as a JW ... I realized that regardless of how the "Faithful and Discreet Slave class" help explain it.... the non-evidence, and actual scientific and archeological evidence, right down to the very existence of Jesus, and the invisible and silent "God".... The seemingly forever need I had to connect to the real true God had to be abandoned in favor of the real true truth!!
~ thank-you Seth ; Matt Dillahunty; Sam Harris; Richard Dawkins; (the late)Christopher Hitchens; Dan Barker; Michael Shirmer; James(the amazing)Randi; Daniel Dennett... for showing me the REAL path to follow!!!! (( What you do, Seth?,...means more than perhaps you can ever even know!!!))
[+] 2 users Like Dcinderblock's post
23-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello all.

I'm a 38 year old atheist and come from Ontario, Canada. I've swayed from atheist to agnostic and back again throughout my life and will more than likely change my mind again at some point, but for now I call myself an atheist.

I've come here for intelligent discussion about these points of view and am unable to "in real life" for a few different reasons.

Everyone has the right to an opinion and to defend that opinion without ridicule.
[+] 1 user Likes RealityIsAnOpinion's post
23-06-2012, 01:51 PM
(23-06-2012 12:52 PM)RealityIsAnOpinion Wrote:  Hello all.

I'm a 38 year old atheist and come from Ontario, Canada. I've swayed from atheist to agnostic and back again throughout my life and will more than likely change my mind again at some point, but for now I call myself an atheist.

I've come here for intelligent discussion about these points of view and am unable to "in real life" for a few different reasons.
Welcome to the forum. You will occasionally find an intelligent discussion. Dodgy

My experience with Ontario is that it can be the Junior Bible Belt. But those Mennonites sure can cook.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-06-2012, 01:55 PM
(22-06-2012 09:09 PM)Dcinderblock Wrote:  Hello from Dubuque, Iowa! ...
I am a 48yr old male, 10 yrs divorced w/ two adult children. I was (and am no longer) a baptized Jehovah's Witness, and converted to that from being a member of "The Way International" (Victor Paul Wierwille ~ cult founder / deceased) and converted to that from being raised and confirmed as a United Methodist. Briefly trying Catholicism, Lutheran, Baptist (not sure which sect), along the way...
Catholicism took 2 tries to know it was horribly awry, Lutheran was lukewarm and wishy-washy like Methodist. Baptist was too guilt ridden, plus all the unnerving fire and brimstone and shouting. (not pleasant!)
"The Way" sounded like a good idea, but couldn't keep up with removing "private interpretation" and basically replacing it with..."private interpretation" with help from the founder and his literature. Jehovah's Witnesses are the closest at literally following what is written in the NWT ... and basically the KJV. After several yrs of REALLY reading the bible...FINALLY, as a JW ... I realized that regardless of how the "Faithful and Discreet Slave class" help explain it.... the non-evidence, and actual scientific and archeological evidence, right down to the very existence of Jesus, and the invisible and silent "God".... The seemingly forever need I had to connect to the real true God had to be abandoned in favor of the real true truth!!
~ thank-you Seth ; Matt Dillahunty; Sam Harris; Richard Dawkins; (the late)Christopher Hitchens; Dan Barker; Michael Shirmer; James(the amazing)Randi; Daniel Dennett... for showing me the REAL path to follow!!!! (( What you do, Seth?,...means more than perhaps you can ever even know!!!))
Holy Shit dude - no pun intended... but now it's there... oh well. Wow what a journey. Welcome Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Finally a place that isn't made up of idiots. Nice to meet you guys. Been an atheist for five years now.
24-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Hello...that is all.
24-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone, just registered.
I'm from Serbia and have been a fan of TheThinkingAtheist for a while now and decided to get in on the forum Smile
I think I was always an Atheist, starting with the fact that I never even believed in Santa. My family is fairly liberal as far as beliefs go, even though they are slightly religious. Didn't have any problems growing up as an Atheist, the topic isn't so mainstream here, but I think we can help even the "barely religious" to free themselves from Church. Especially the bigoted views of the institution. See ya around the forum Smile
Thread Closed