Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
18-12-2010, 02:14 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Only a small percentage of people have what it takes to take a minimal education and do well in the job/carrer market. Stark Raving, you may be one of the few who can.
Find all posts by this user
18-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I doubt anyone doubts that getting work is alot easier with an education and if one can get an education, it would be stupid to not get it.
I claim, that when the percentage of people with education to their field is high, one will have hard time getting work without education and without good social contacts.
If one has been in the work life circles since the one was a kid, there's a very good chance that the one will get work without getting education, but more probably the potential employers will ask the one to get the education (but if it would cost money the one would probably just get the job right away), but while the one is getting the education, s/he's also working in the afternoons in his/her future job. But without the social contacts, it's gonna be tought for one, especially if the one has no experience.

And about employers selecting non-educated people over educated people, to jobs that don't require that much education, because the 'non-educated are less expensive'. Is it really the employee that decides the salary? Why would the educated expect higher pay for the same work?

I think I'll find an other way to express passive, even I'm annoyed by all the 'ones'...

Now, I don't know anything about how things work in North America, so I'll be listening to you guys.
By the way ''stark'' is ''strong'' in Swedish.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-12-2010, 09:47 AM

Hello!

My name is Bryant and I am an atheist. Smile

Honestly, I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but it's the most suitable. I don't believe in a god, but I'm open to other ideas. Whatever that is. Anyway, I'm really happy to have found this place (the YouTube video was my reference) and I'm super stoked to have a forum to chat with like minded individuals. So... thanks for being here.

Aside from that, I'm a nurse, I'm a world traveler, I'm a surfer I'm a husband and I'm a package of awesome!

Pleased to meet you.
~Bryant
25-12-2010, 11:59 AM

(25-12-2010 09:47 AM)Bryant Wrote:  Hello!

My name is Bryant and I am an atheist. Smile

Honestly, I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but it's the most suitable. I don't believe in a god, but I'm open to other ideas. Whatever that is. Anyway, I'm really happy to have found this place (the YouTube video was my reference) and I'm super stoked to have a forum to chat with like minded individuals. So... thanks for being here.

Aside from that, I'm a nurse, I'm a world traveler, I'm a surfer I'm a husband and I'm a package of awesome!

Pleased to meet you.
~Bryant

Welcome Bryant Smile
29-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Hi Guys,
New kid on the block here.
People often ask me on these forums, why use your own name, and not a nickname. The answer I always give is that ‘I do not fear my own opinion’. I have no hatred towards anyone or any other group and I don’t have any extremist views.
Like most people I grumble about the state of the world, government policies, the ozone layer etc but I also accept that there are some things we cannot change.
I prefer myself as a free thinker, I believe the word Atheist is used all too often by mainstream religion to label those who do not have any believe in a god as evil and sinners.

Don’t know how long I’m going to be around for, I’m kind of like The Littlest Hobo.
31-12-2010, 10:25 PM

(14-12-2010 08:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:I hope I didnt miss anything.

You mean other than the fact you took your name from a book written by one of the world's most pompous and useless blowhards? Nothing comes to mind, no.

I promise not to hold that against you, though. Honest. But, for my own sanity, I'm going to just refer to you as "Flat".

Cool

TWIF will do.
And while I Beg to differ about friedman being a pompous usless blowhard, I will admit the name is more of a rejection of his suggestion that the world is flat, I.e equal opportunity, because in this day and age, its bs. However, for the most part, I find his commentary intelligent, difference of opinion I suppose.
03-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Hi! new to the forum, my name is Ken. I am a college student (returning to school after almost 20 years away from it) and am majoring in Psychology and Evolutionary Anthropology.

I was raised in a pretty secular household however at the age of 20 my younger brother committed suicide and, in desperation for some meaning, I ended up getting involved with a church who offered counseling. Being very vulnerable I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I accepted Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. I went to church at least twice weekly. However, all the members kept bearing witness to experiences they had, ones which I didn't have. I couldn't understand why God would not give me these experiences.

After a couple of years the pain of his death healed and I started moving on. I finally allowed my mind to actually take in what these people were saying and I just couldn't stand it. To just put aside my critical faculties to accept the utter nonsense that I was subjected to was something I could no longer do. Eventually I left the church and my faith, but I went at least 10 years not considering myself an Atheist but more like an Agnostic.

It wasn't until I started taking courses in Evolutionary Anthropology and Psychology that I finally put all the pieces together. I can now see very clearly how people can fool themselves into feeling and believing pretty much anything. Evolution is absolutely breathtaking when you clearly understand how everything fits together perfectly.

One thing that I will miss, however, is the comfort of knowing that I'll see a loved one again after they die. Even my cherished pets, when one died I was heartbroken but I was comforted by the thought that, perhaps, they too would be in the afterlife and I would see them again. Of course, I would rather live in reality and know the truth no matter how painful it may be at times.

Anyway, that is my story in a nutshell. Thanks for reading. Smile
03-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Good story. I love a happy ending. Smile

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
05-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Hey everyone!

Just registered in the forum. I was raised Christian, but I've had an inclination towards logic and reason my whole life. Even when I claimed to be a "Christian," I didn't know what it all meant and I felt deep down that Heaven and Hell were a bunch of BS. I'm a big fan of being realistic and open minded, which keeps me from following any particular religion. I've read many books written by theists and atheists and I pursue religious literacy, which makes me a strong debater on the subject. I'm loving TheThinkingAtheist, great place guys, looking forward to some great intellectual conversations with all of you.
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Hello all! I'm a 24 y/o college student and sales associate. I'm currently getting some classes out of the way at our local community college in preparation for transferring to a nearby state university. I plan on pursuing philosophy, and am considering biology and other fields of study for a second major, but I have yet to come to a final decision.
I was raised in a roman catholic household, but started asking questions at an early age. I became rather skeptical rather quickly, always looking for new questions and answers in a few different faiths. By 12 I announced that I was a full-on atheist, and haven't looked back since. I am more along the lines of a free thinker, as I suppose that the existence of any type of god is possible, just extremely improbable.
I look forward to reading the posts and discussing them with you all Smile
Thread Closed