Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
06-07-2012, 12:48 AM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hello everyone

New to the site I've been an atheist for about 5-6 years, I didn't grow up in a religious family I was raised in a secular household really I was never told what religion I was or should believe in.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MikeChase27's post
06-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Hello! I'm in Oklahoma myself. I'm a former fundie (ex-WELS, Michele Bachmann's former denomination), formally excommunicated and away for over 14 years. Had to deprogram myself, which was a painful process. Examined many religions following my excommunication, thinking I needed to fill the 'void'. I credit, actually, a Baha'i believer for challenging me to question everything and for never trying to. convert me. I considered myself agnostic for years, thinking that atheism was just as dogmatic and confrontational.

I have podcasters like Seth and Rich and Emery for both showing me that was not necessarily the case and for shaking me loose from a "don't care/doesn't matter" mindset.

Just this month, I declared myself an atheist for the first time. I missed the OFC this year but I plan to be at next year's.

I live in the Moore area.
06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
(06-07-2012 12:16 AM)P17 Wrote:  Hi,
I am a believer, but have issues with many other believers. I feel that they do not represent what Christianity is all about... The majority anyhow. When I hear of Christians protesting Muslims , Same sex marriage... I am embarrassed. Jesus was not one who harassed people, he said what he had to say and moved on. I am here because I am not one who just has blind faith.... I like to challenge myself and continually question things. I am not here to convert anyone or be rude in anyway. I love to discuss politics, science...and I don't want to just push my view, my goal is to know truth, not to just confirm what I think to be true. I dont think we will ever have all the answers we are looking for, but in the time being, i just examine the evidence and decide, is there more evidence for a creator...or not... At this point, I feel there is . Thank you... Have great evening everyone!!' .
Welcome. Want to give us a quick overview of your religious belief?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Salve Amici!

I'm a student at the University of Oklahoma, and a recently de-converted atheist.

I was raised in a (mostly) secular household until 10 years of age, when the parents decided it was time to start going to a church, which turned out to be the Methodist Church. As I grew up in a tiny town of 2100 people, almost everyone was a Christian and it was a social scene in the town, although the church my family chose was not exactly the most popular, (that would be the Baptists, and their Falls Creek camp that was adored by everyone).

I was always a bit skeptical, but with my family and extended family particularly, reason was discouraged because, to quote my aunt, "with God it doesn't matter and if it comes from God it is right."

Right......

So on to today. I'm allowing myself to determine for myself what I want to believe, and only one other family member knows. He is also an atheist so there's no worry there.

I'm also a Whovian... Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes il_bandit's post
09-07-2012, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2012 07:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-07-2012 12:48 AM)MikeChase27 Wrote:  Hello everyone

New to the site I've been an atheist for about 5-6 years, I didn't grow up in a religious family I was raised in a secular household really I was never told what religion I was or should believe in.

Why are you atheist then? Why wasn't secular humanism enough for you? What did it lack?

(09-07-2012 04:40 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  I was raised in a (mostly) secular household until 10 years of age, when the parents decided it was time to start going to a church, which turned out to be the Methodist Church.

Back story there sounds interesting.

(09-07-2012 04:40 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  I'm also a Whovian... Thumbsup

Who isn't? Wink

#sigh
09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
(09-07-2012 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-07-2012 04:40 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  I'm also a Whovian... Thumbsup

Who isn't? Wink
Only a matter of time until everyone is a Whovian, although it has made me want a tweed jacket even more, and I've searched for two years already, with no luck. Sad

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

10-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Howdy!

I'm Sean. I'm a 42 year old electrical engineer. I live in Colorado with my wife, son, 2 horrible dogs and some fish and frogs. I've been an atheist ever since I was old enough to think I was old enough to think for myself, about 13. I got loud about it when my son was born (he's 3), and now I think it's fair to say I'm militant.

Cheers!
[+] 2 users Like godlessengineer's post
10-07-2012, 08:37 PM
(10-07-2012 11:41 AM)godlessengineer Wrote:  I'm Sean. I'm a 42 year old electrical engineer.

Hi Sean. Welcome!

Is it just me, or does Godless Engineer sound superfluous to anyone else? Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-07-2012, 08:46 PM
(10-07-2012 08:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 11:41 AM)godlessengineer Wrote:  I'm Sean. I'm a 42 year old electrical engineer.

Hi Sean. Welcome!

Is it just me, or does Godless Engineer sound superfluous to anyone else? Big Grin
While you would think so, sadly it's not the case. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone Smile I'm Michael, a 16 year old Italian boy from the USA. I've known about the forum for a long time and i just decided to join!

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated". - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 1 user Likes xMiiKez's post
Thread Closed