Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
07-01-2011, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011 05:42 AM by yongkykun.)
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
Hi all, I'm 29 y.o 3d animator from Indonesia. Currently in Sydney, Australia taking a masters degree in film production at UTS. Like most, I was born and raised as Christian.

My grandfather was a priest and quiet well-known in some circles as one of the founders of the United Church of Indonesia (an organization that basically controls the doctrines, down to the weekly topic and verse, for literally hundreds of different Protestant denominations). My uncle is also a priest as well as two of cousins.

My journey towards atheism began shortly after high school. Before that, I was an active member of my church (one that my father built!). I've always been fascinated by science, nature, and technology so I suppose that very same fascination is the reason why I was so skeptical. Skeptical towards other religions, that is. So shortly after high school, I started reading and researching other religions with a single goal in mind, which is to prove that Christianity is THE only right religion in the world. I studied Hinduism, Buddhism, Islamism, Zoroastrianism, and Judaism in doctrine and in history.

Within months, I begin to see a pattern emerging and to my surprise, every religion evolves! And that made me feel somewhat concerned, if not scared, because if all religion evolve, then by default, Christianity went through the same process. So one Sunday morning after service, I asked my pastor all the questions that were cluttering in my brain. And guess what he said in reply? "Read the Bible and everything will be clear." So I went home and did exactly that.

After I've finished reading the bible cover to cover, I feel as though there is something decidedly wrong and I start looking for what it was that made me feel strange and I found it (them, actually, as there are a lot). There are so many discrepancies, so many contradictions that I used the same method that I used to "dissect" other religions and found books by Ehrman, Spong, and the like. After reading those books, I'm convinced more than ever that Christianity is not better (nor worse) than the other religions of the world!

As I said, I was a very devout Christian. Having to face such circumstance, I didn't know what to think, so I became an agnostic. And that was in 2002. In 2006, one of coworker who I thought as being a Muslim turns out to be an atheist. So I started asking him questions about his conviction (in private, because in Indonesia, it is dangerous to announce oneself as an atheist). Being somewhat-versed in Islam theology, I can understand most of his reasoning. And I found out that his story is more or less the same as mine, but what made him certain that there is no god? He told me to check out videos of Daniel Dennet.

Long story short his philosophy made me an atheist. And I love it, because now I can learn whatever I want about the natural world without having to look down at animals in such condescending manner as thought by Christianity. I feel like a new person and I can't stop myself learning more and more about nature, science, and technology.

But there is one dark side to my story... I'm still a Christian in the eyes of my family. Telling them that I'm an atheist would devastate them and probably would put my life in serious danger. So, that's my story. Very long, eh? And lots of grammatical errors I'm sure. Anyway, I don't know why I didn't join this forum sooner. But at least, I am here now. Hope you guys can extend the same hospitality to me as you've shown to the other newbies.

Thank you!

Yongky
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Your story has many similarities to my story. The most notable difference is that I don't have to hide my atheism from friends or family. I live in central Canada, and it seems that it is one of the more atheist friendly places in the world. You can be more free here.

By the way, your grammer is good.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Woo, Indonesia? Welcomes!

And that's good English.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
08-01-2011, 10:18 PM

(15-12-2010 07:59 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  So I gotta ask, now that I know that your Candian; Is Canada training a secret Army to take over the world?

(15-12-2010 09:02 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Muwahahahaha!!!!! We're lining up our canoes on the shores of Lake Ontario as we speak!!!!! Attaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!

At least we got Michigan, the United States' first line of defense against Canada!

Okay, I'll introduce myself here. My name is Christopher (but you can call me Chris), and I was given that name solely because I was born in the month of December, and of course, there's this holiday called Christmas. Funny thing, because I turned out to be an atheist. I'm 31 years old, a lifelong resident of Green Bay, WI, and I came to realize I was an atheist back in the summer of 2008.

-The Happy Hodag!
09-01-2011, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2011 03:59 PM by No J..)
(17-12-2010 06:42 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  
(16-12-2010 12:07 AM)No J. Wrote:  Not a chance. We'll take Chuck to a bar and buy him a few Canadian beers and he'll be out for a week or two. You are doomed. Tongue

He would reject it, us Americans drink our beer cold xP

We drink our beer cold, too. It is the British who drink warm beer. You calling us British??!! That's it, no mercy. We will burn down the White House again. (See War of 1812). Tongue
(17-12-2010 09:03 PM)mBear Wrote:  I'm a student in Manitoba, Canada, studying Cell and Molecular Biology with a minor in Microbiology. I've been an atheist for quite a while now, though I haven't told my family yet.

Are you in Winnipeg? My guess is the U of M. If you are, then you are less than 20 kilometers from me. On this forum, we are next door neighbors.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM

hey im josh and I forgot my religion on the bus and never asked the bus driver if he found it, because that day I learned I was better off with out it.Big GrinBig Grin
09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
You should have destroyed it so that no one else could pick it up. Tongue

09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
(07-01-2011 04:33 PM)No J. Wrote:  Your story has many similarities to my story. The most notable difference is that I don't have to hide my atheism from friends or family. I live in central Canada, and it seems that it is one of the more atheist friendly places in the world. You can be more free here.

By the way, your grammer is good.

It sucks that I have to hide my atheism. And believe it or not, I did try migrating to Canada because I'm in love with Vancouver (went there in 2004 and stayed for 2 weeks), but it's so hard due to the number of immigrants from other parts of Asia. So now I'm trying to move to Australia (so far, no luck).

Thank you dude!

(07-01-2011 04:59 PM)Kikko Wrote:  Woo, Indonesia? Welcomes!

And that's good English.

Thanks dude!
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Hello there! I'm 17 (soon 18) ye. old atheist from Eastern Finland. I was not particularly raised as a Christian although my parents were Christians but because religion is taught in schools over here I kinda believed that there is some sort of god.
Well, we didn't really attend church and we never talked about religion at home so my beliefs were not that strong at the time and at the age of 12 (I think) I just said to myself that there is no god and from that on I've been an atheist. I've been a science nerd for my whole life and that might be the reason why I never really swallowed all this religious stuff and why I just quited believing.

That's about all, nice forum btw Tongue
12-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Quote:Hello there! I'm 17 (soon 18) ye. old atheist from Eastern Finland. I was not particularly raised as a Christian although my parents were Christians but because religion is taught in schools over here I kinda believed that there is some sort of god.
Well, we didn't really attend church and we never talked about religion at home so my beliefs were not that strong at the time and at the age of 12 (I think) I just said to myself that there is no god and from that on I've been an atheist. I've been a science nerd for my whole life and that might be the reason why I never really swallowed all this religious stuff and why I just quited believing.

That's about all, nice forum btw Tongue
Welcomes from Western Finland! I became a nonbeliever just about the same way.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Thread Closed