Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2012, 02:19 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(27-07-2012 06:08 AM)DreamWeaver Wrote:  So....I just joined. So....Hi. Smile

As far as introductions go, I'm a teenage girl from Mississippi, the fattest, dumbest state in America, and located right smack dab in the middle of the bible belt. I was raised Episcopalian, but started doubting after my family got kicked out of our church because of a (major) disagreement between my mother and a powerful man that went there.

My love of science really started in the eighth grade, when my science teacher lent me Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. After that I read up as much about science, especially physics, as I could. Now I'm completely hooked. Science completely overthrew my religion and for that I'm very glad.

Anyways, I'm not really sure how I found TTA...I think I was mostly just poking around on the internet and wondered if there was anything out there like this for people like myself, and lo and behold, I found this. I've been following TTA for a couple of months now but just now decided to join. So....hi. I hope we can be friends.

EmE

Awesome,more and more teens!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
27-07-2012, 05:43 PM
The atheist community will grow larger and larger as the pre-internet generation grows smaller. Amazing what access to information does for free thinking. If I'd had the internet as a teen, I have no doubt I'd have become an atheist way sooner.

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
[+] 2 users Like Pavlov's_Ape's post
29-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey all,

Finally got around to sign up here. Been thinking about it, but work and rl eat my life away. Seeing I'm boring as hell, I'll mostly give a background on why I've started to become interested in the atheist community.

I'm dutch, the country of freethinkers, or so many seem to think. But even in the Netherlands there are some serious f-ed up stuff going on. For instance, there are several political parties that are openly christian: Christian Democratic Appeal (CDA), Reformed Political Party (SGP) and the Christian Union (CU). Where the SGP's party-statements do not allow women in a leadership role (so, no female ministers). In the past few years one more has popped up: the dutch muslim party (NMP).

Then there is the national rest-day, sunday, where most stores aren't allowed to do business and the specific laws that makes blasphemy illegal.

When it comes to secularism, the netherlands is even behind america. On paper at least. Thankfully we're a country with a growing group of people that see that the special status of religion has to go and I'm one of them. I believe it's only a matter of time before things like these change.

Now I got interested in the (american) atheist community through some videos on youtube. You all know them, thunderf00t, QualiaSoup, TheraminTrees, Potholer and the likes. Also a video of Seth, top ten creationist arguments, was one of the very first atheist-minded video's I've seen. And ever since then, I've been replying on several videos in an attempt to discuss theistic claims.

Alas, youtube's format isn't exactly that good for this and through Seth's video's I ended up here.

The boring bit about me: 30 years of age, male and I've always been an atheist/skeptic. As I said, I'm from the Netherlands and yes I do know quite a bit about drugs. If you're interested or have questions, I don't mind answering them or looking for the answers with you. I'm a programmer/project leader for a company that creates automatization solutions for printing-companies (on demand book-printing) and got an interest in AI and computer vision.
Been together with a beautiful swedish girl for almost 6 years, since about a month engaged.

Well, that's it! See you guys around
[+] 1 user Likes Shangori's post
29-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Hello Everyone.
I'm Carson from Maine. I was the last caller to the TTA broadcast a week ago Tuesday.
Getting into this forum in itself has been difficult for my sighted Wife as it's been impossible for me to navigate with JAWS speech software. This being said, I truly wanted to write here. It's worth the struggle.
The TTA podcasts I found while typing in Atheist I don't recall how long ago has been exactly what I was searching for. I've listened to every episode as well as using youtube links that brought me to other sites I've learned from.
I've read 5 Carl Sagan books, several Richard Dawkins books as well as Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennet and a book by I believe, CJ Werleman. I'm not good remembering names always. I've also read Sean Faircloth who once was part of the Maine legislature. All of this was done as a result of TTA.
I won't try to completely describe myself all at once. Hopefully I can do that through my ideas in future postings.
Anyway, I know Seth put an enormous amount of effort into the Afterlife video. For me it's the audio of the video alone that I'm able to use. As a blind person I identified Aron Rah, Thunderfoot, and the brave Romanian woman from the Reason Rally pieces I listened to. Of course Seth's voice in the video.
Seth's speech followed by the video said exactly what I attempt to get across to people I know. This is difficult at times with some people who really don't even want to listen to my point of view.
The thought I've had over the last few days has been how believing in something, meaning, practicing "faith" is not a requirement for anyone as expecting such a requirement of another person is the product of religious indoctrination.
Trying to legitimize "faith" is an organized, institutional exercise in gullibility training.
Carson, Maine.
29-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Carson. Welcome.
I'm trying to type really loudly so you can hear this. :-)

Oh, and the Afterlife vid? Rubbish visuals... you didn't miss anything... just a bunch of naked, writhing supermodels.

I listened to the podcast last week. Good to hear you there and read you here.

Have fun.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-07-2012, 02:59 PM
(29-07-2012 02:16 PM)carson Wrote:  Hello Everyone.
I'm Carson from Maine. I was the last caller to the TTA broadcast a week ago Tuesday.
Getting into this forum in itself has been difficult for my sighted Wife as it's been impossible for me to navigate with JAWS speech software. This being said, I truly wanted to write here. It's worth the struggle.
The TTA podcasts I found while typing in Atheist I don't recall how long ago has been exactly what I was searching for. I've listened to every episode as well as using youtube links that brought me to other sites I've learned from.
I've read 5 Carl Sagan books, several Richard Dawkins books as well as Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennet and a book by I believe, CJ Werleman. I'm not good remembering names always. I've also read Sean Faircloth who once was part of the Maine legislature. All of this was done as a result of TTA.
I won't try to completely describe myself all at once. Hopefully I can do that through my ideas in future postings.
Anyway, I know Seth put an enormous amount of effort into the Afterlife video. For me it's the audio of the video alone that I'm able to use. As a blind person I identified Aron Rah, Thunderfoot, and the brave Romanian woman from the Reason Rally pieces I listened to. Of course Seth's voice in the video.
Seth's speech followed by the video said exactly what I attempt to get across to people I know. This is difficult at times with some people who really don't even want to listen to my point of view.
The thought I've had over the last few days has been how believing in something, meaning, practicing "faith" is not a requirement for anyone as expecting such a requirement of another person is the product of religious indoctrination.
Trying to legitimize "faith" is an organized, institutional exercise in gullibility training.
Carson, Maine.
Hello Carson, Welcome!

Its quite a surprise to see a blind person post! Shows how far we have come though! Hope you have a good time on here.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
29-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Welcome Shangori & Carson Smile
29-07-2012, 05:36 PM
(29-07-2012 03:03 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Shangori & Carson Smile

Ditto!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-07-2012, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 06:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-07-2012 05:43 PM)Pavlovs_Ape Wrote:  The atheist community will grow larger and larger as the pre-internet generation grows smaller. Amazing what access to information does for free thinking. If I'd had the internet as a teen, I have no doubt I'd have become an atheist way sooner.

I agree, but I appreciate the fact that I didn't have community help and had to do it all by myself with books. Feels like a more solid foundation to me. Fucking theists can't recognize the difference between rock and sand. Big Grin

And welcome new fools. Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm Bryce, I've been listening to the Thinking Atheist podcast for a long while but only now got around to signing up on this forum. I have always been an atheist, in fact I have reason to believe that I may be at least a 4th generation atheist. My grandfather came to Canada from Scotland about a century ago, and I have read part of his father's daily journal in which he seemed to be at least apathetic about religion. However I've only become unashamedly vocal about my atheism a few years ago. My interest in the atheist/skeptic community stems from a number of things, particularly my interest in the sciences (biological and others); my amusement with theistic claims and arguments, and how to counter them; and my humanistic worldview and how it lends itself to the separation of church and state. Quite ironically, Canada doesn't officially have church/state separation in the books, but in practice religion and politics tend to stay out of each other's business (so far). I now have two small children and I am concerned that the religious accommodationism that is creating such a problem in the US educational system may start to creep into our education system as well. I want to ensure that my children get the best education that they can, including critical thinking, and I will step up and take action to defend science education if necessary.

It is great to see such a large, thriving atheist community here, and I look forward to getting to know all of you and sharing ideas with other like-minded freethinkers.
Thread Closed