Introduce Yourself HERE!
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 5 Average
09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
RE: Introduce Yourself HERE!
(09-08-2012 07:39 PM)futureMACH Wrote:  Hello! New here but I've been an atheist a long time... I think I was 13 or 14 when I leaned over to my stepmother in church and said, "I don't believe any of this."

I was Catholic for a few years just to make my ex-husband's family happy. Went through Catholic classes, went to church, did the whole confirmation thing. It didn't stick, obviously, because in the back of my head I was thinking that this is crap the whole time. I called communion "snack time" and counted all the kneeling and standing as exercise.

I started reading the bible this year. I'm slogging my way through Isaiah right now. I started blogging it (myyearofthebible.blogspot.com) but haven't updated it in a while. I'll get back to it eventually.

So I'm pretty basic... no deconversion story or people who are disappointed in me or who are praying for me. But I am glad to be here. Smile

Hello and Welcome to the forum, hope you have a great and informative time.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
10-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi! My name is Vince Deporter, and I'm a Belgian living in the States. Also an ex-Jehovah's Witness with a late conversion to atheism. Interestingly, it was my deep study of the Bible that dissolved my faith; then science came later to drive the nail in.
I write and draw for Spongebob (the comics), and have been there at the very beginning in Nickelodeon Mag; 2 years before it aired. Otherwise, I've worked on many characters, from the Rugrats to Batman, Scooby Doo, etc...
I'm 53, and have been an artist for 35 years -- sometimes up there, sometimes struggling.
My passions are music, movies, photography, and most of all, my Children. Hope we get to meet! Wink
[+] 1 user Likes vincedeporter's post
10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello all. I'm new here and am an atheist. Here's a little about me:

I grew up in a Catholic family going to church every Sunday, attending CCD classes, and observing all the holy days. I went along with it all while growing up because it's what my family did and taught me, but it wasn't until late high school that I took much of an interest for myself. Around age 17, a conversation with a friend got me thinking about the seriousness of the question of whether God exists. It occurred to me that if he exists, I should be spending far more time dedicated to him. So, for about 3 years, I did just that. I began reading a lot about Catholicism, attending Church daily, praying daily, and just generally dedicating a significant part of my free time to living a religious life. I even gave serious thought to becoming a priest.

But then one day, my entire faith just seemed to disappear. I think it was largely because I was growing up and thinking about things differently. I accepted things "just because someone said it was so" far less and began looking for evidence to support whatever I was told before I would believe it. The more I thought about the world around me - children being born with disabilities, good people suffering major tragedies, gay people being condemned by God just for loving someone of the same sex, natural disasters in a world created by a supposedly perfect being who could certainly do better, the whole concept of faith and why an omnipotent God would need or desire it, etc. - the whole idea of God as an all-loving, omnipotent, omniscient being made no sense at all.

At first I was scared and asked God for help to regain my faith. But as time went on, I gradually became more comfortable with my realization that the God I was brought up with simply does not exist. I also considered other religions and found they had similar flaws. For awhile, I latched onto new age types of thinking. But eventually I just let it all go, didn't really care to think much about it anymore, and went on with my life without any god and without giving more than a passing thought on the subject here and there.

That lasted about twenty years. In the beginning of my loss of faith, I had told my family about it. They weren't happy with my loss of faith, but seemed to accept it. But then, a couple of years ago, one family member started pushing the issue and challenging me to change my mind. We have since had many very long discussions and it has all gotten me thinking about my atheism again. Because of this renewed recent thinking on the subject, my atheist stance is more concrete than ever before. I have come to the realization that I no longer have an open mind about the question of God's existence. Sure, if God stood right in front of me and I couldn't deny his existence, I would change my mind. But something along those lines is what it would take. I firmly believe that an all-loving, omnipotent, omniscient god is a logical impossibility. And I find it highly unlikely that a less perfect, but very powerful god-like being exists at all.

Anyway, that's my background. I recently began listening to "The Thinking Atheist" podcasts which is what brought me to this site. I'm enjoying hearing from other atheists and the similarity of the reasons that brought them to that point of view. I also try to be respectful of people that have faith because I know what its like to be in those shoes. That doesn't mean I won't argue with them, but I do so as politely as possible.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
10-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Welcome Impulse and Vince Deporter Smile

Also welcome to anyone on the previous pages whom I'm too lazy to go back *even one single mouseclick* and find Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Introduce Yourself HERE!
(10-08-2012 01:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Impulse and Vince Deporter Smile

Also welcome to anyone on the previous pages whom I'm too lazy to go back *even one single mouseclick* and find Big Grin

Ditto

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 04:01 PM
(10-08-2012 02:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 01:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Impulse and Vince Deporter Smile

Ditto

I hereby introduce you to an even lazier bastard than me...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks! Can't wait to explore the site more. A little busy at the moment -- but I'm working to the tune of the Podcast, catching up on those I missed... Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes vincedeporter's post
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Hello. I used to be a Catholic. I am now an heathen, err... atheist. My dad knows but I don't think my mom does. It all came out as I was debunking mythology and then the bible. First creationism then the Ark and so on. I have always been a skeptic. When I was little my dad told me, commanded me, to never question the bible. I thought that was weird since I was encouraged to ask questions at school. I was a skeptic almost a nonbeliever but I still held my beliefs. I followed the path of science, somehow juggling religion and science. Skip to my sophomore year in high school and I went through the sacrament of confirmation. I did it more for the chance of meeting new people then any religious reasons. After that was done, I took a look into the bible, and for that matter my life. Faith did not provide any help and I heard no message or guidance. The bible had no answers for me. Thanks to the internet, specifically Youtube, I was directed to a Richard Dawkins video, then a Christopher Hitchens video. I went from skeptic to atheist in just a few videos. I held this from anybody for quite a while. In fact only my father knows. I now embrace the true beauty of the universe instead of arrogantly believing it was placed here just for me. Thank you Dawkins and Hitchens.

No Gods Or Kings. Only Man.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EuclidsParadox?feature=mhee
[+] 1 user Likes BioRichtofen's post
11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm new here.

Long time atheist. Called myself an agnostic for years before I learned what the terms actually meant.

I'm a member of other atheist forums also.
11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
(10-08-2012 04:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-08-2012 02:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Ditto

I hereby introduce you to an even lazier bastard than me...

hi

And hey, BioRich and Simon. Good to have you aboard the board.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Thread Closed